Custom Buckling Springs?

dzhoou

02 Jan 2015, 07:47

I'm just curious, are there any stiffer springs I can put on Model M or F's? To make the keys weigh 100cN for example.

jacobolus

02 Jan 2015, 09:46

You can always measure the springs and then go order something custom from someone who sells springs. MOQ is probably pretty high though, and I doubt you’ll find many other folks who want something stiffer.

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Jan 2015, 15:37

If you want a dirty non-reversible ghetto mod, most springs can be literally stretched out by hand to make them stiffer ....

chzel

02 Jan 2015, 15:49

I think it will take a lot of trial and error, as the free length and the spring weight both contribute to where in the travel the spring buckles and actuates.
Also a stiffer spring might reduce the life of the "flipper" or the membranes since the force will be higher...

andrewjoy

02 Jan 2015, 16:58

i would like a custom model m spring to make it as light as a model F

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 Feb 2015, 15:50

My model F has a very unique sound. It has a VERY pingy sound. Do you think this is because of the springs?

fohat
Elder Messenger

21 Feb 2015, 18:31

Redmaus wrote: My model F has a very unique sound. It has a VERY pingy sound. Do you think this is because of the springs?
No.

It is because of multiple rigid plates bent into a complex system of tension and compression.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Feb 2015, 19:28

it may also have to do with the condition of the foam mat but fohat is right. My XT is a little "pingy" too.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 Feb 2015, 22:16

Oh okay. I wonder how I could make them tighter and more crisp/

fohat
Elder Messenger

21 Feb 2015, 23:12

Redmaus wrote: Oh okay. I wonder how I could make them tighter and more crisp/
Them what and tighter and more crisp than what?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Feb 2015, 05:56

I just want to know how to make the switches crisps as possible.

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Feb 2015, 00:25

Redmaus wrote: I just want to know how to make the switches crisps as possible.
You should start a "crispness" evaluation thread.

My guess is that the Model F (the XT variant in particular) is the most "crisp" of all keyboards, although I have never owned an IBM beam spring and that might win out.

I always floss-mod my Model Fs, but some people might argue that this modification reduces the crispness along with the ringing audible overtones.

The other candidates that come to mind are "Monterey" blue SMK switches and black Hi-Tek "Space Invaders"

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

23 Feb 2015, 19:03

Allright I guess i will start a thread once I get around to record the sound of my model F so the rest can hear.

So the XT is the most crisp it appears? Hmm it seems the keyboards that ibm made before the newer ones after it always seem to be better.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2015, 20:17

Yeah, that's the trend! I've got an XT and it's a quality piece of kit. My AT is very close, though, and a nicer layout. And the Kishsaver is better yet, with a superb layout and all metal case. Model Fs are a cut above the rest. Well, besides for beamsprings.

Here's a bunch of my recordings for comparison across several switch families, including Model M vs. F:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/chr ... gs#p200826

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

23 Feb 2015, 20:32

So were the 4704 and the kishsavers made before the XT line? Or after?

I hope adding art foam to my model F will make the switches crisper when I ANSI mod it.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 Feb 2015, 01:54

fohat wrote:
Redmaus wrote: I just want to know how to make the switches crisps as possible.
You should start a "crispness" evaluation thread.
Done and posted here: http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/ibm ... 10012.html

redkeys

27 Feb 2015, 10:11

jacobolus wrote: You can always measure the springs and then go order something custom from someone who sells springs. MOQ is probably pretty high though, and I doubt you’ll find many other folks who want something stiffer.
They are already too stiff for me! :mrgreen: It's a workout typing on model m's after trying out other switches.

Return to “Keyboards”