HHKB Pro 2 Type-S?

ShivaYash

14 Jan 2015, 19:11

Really?

Do the additions of foam Y-pads make that much of a difference?

I would like another HHKB, just cos, but need to understand the differences a little better.

I am sure its been talked about previously, but please, someone, enlighten me.

Yours,

SY
London

ShivaYash

15 Jan 2015, 11:01

Is this such a lame question that it does not warrant a reply? ;-)

I'm really temped to purchase the recently advertised HHKB type-s in the marketplace, but having already the vanilla HHKB, would be keen to hear the views of others who own both models.

Having viewed several videos on YouTube attempting to highlight the differences, either my hearing isn't very good, or there appears to the most nuanced difference, that requires a very quality mic to detect.

Many thanks,

SY

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Jan 2015, 11:06

it's not a lame question at all. My HHKB knowledge is too limited, I just got my first HHKB recently. Why don't you ask Katzensaft directly he is selling one right now:

http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/hhk ... t9621.html

I also found this from GH:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38913.0

ShivaYash

15 Jan 2015, 11:08

seebart wrote: it's not a lame question at all. My HHKB knowledge is too limited, I just got my first HHKB recently. Why don't you ask Katzensaft directly he is selling one right now:

http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/hhk ... t9621.html

I also found this from GH:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38913.0
Thanks for the reply, I am actually interested in this particular item for sale and have been emailing Katzensaft. I did not think however to ask him directly about the differences between the two, as he is selling due to only have one.

I'll check the GH link too, many thanks.

With best,

seebart

15 Jan 2015, 11:09

well Katzensaft might know the difference though.

ShivaYash

17 Jan 2015, 13:32

Does the type-S use 55 gram weighted keys, and the regular HHKB 45 grams?

Thanks in advance.

Khers

17 Jan 2015, 13:41

Nope, both regular ans type-s are 45 g

ShivaYash

17 Jan 2015, 13:43

Khers wrote: Nope, both regular ans type-s are 45 g
Thanks,

Hypersphere

17 Jan 2015, 16:51

The Type-S switch is different from the standard Topre switch. The length of the slider has been adjusted to compensate for the thickness of the silencing pad. I think that the clearance between the slider and switch housing might also be smaller in the Type-S, but I am not sure about this.

I have both models of HHKB Pro 2, and I have not decided which one I like better. The Type-S sounds and feels as if the sliders have been wrapped in tissue paper. Although I sometimes tire of the hollow plasticky sound of the standard model, when I switch to the Type-S, I find that I miss the honest undamped sound of the standard version.

My Type-S also is not consistent across all keys. For example, the left shift and enter keys sound just as loud as they do on the standard model.

Overall, I don't think the Type-S is worth the extra money. On the other hand, if I were thinking of doing a silencing mod on a standard model, the time and materials would probably add up to more than the price differential for the Type-S.

seebart

17 Jan 2015, 17:27

good to know, thanks for the information Hypersphere.

Muirium
µ

17 Jan 2015, 21:01

My Type-S will be here before the end of the month. I'll investigate this in my review.

I got the Type-S HHKB because in Japan the price difference is a mere £30. EK makes a tasty profit with that bold markup of theirs. "Sale" or otherwise. If I had bought from them, sure it would have been the regular model. But my Type-S cost a lot less than theirs.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/put ... t9413.html

Lunatique

18 Jan 2015, 22:42

So the HHKB's implementation of the silencing method is different from the RealForce keyboards? How would you guys describe the difference in feel and sound between the two different approaches to silencing? (I have the Type-S of RealForce 87U, but don't have any experience with the HHKB keyboards.)

ShivaYash

18 Jan 2015, 22:52

Lunatique wrote: So the HHKB's implementation of the silencing method is different from the RealForce keyboards? How would you guys describe the difference in feel and sound between the two different approaches to silencing? (I have the Type-S of RealForce 87U, but don't have any experience with the HHKB keyboards.)
What is the model number of your 87u... I have the 55 gram variant and the box says its 'silent', but it sounds fairly similar to my non type-S HHKB. Its tricky to compare one is plate mounted and the other is not.

Lunatique

18 Jan 2015, 23:04

ShivaYash wrote:
Lunatique wrote: So the HHKB's implementation of the silencing method is different from the RealForce keyboards? How would you guys describe the difference in feel and sound between the two different approaches to silencing? (I have the Type-S of RealForce 87U, but don't have any experience with the HHKB keyboards.)
What is the model number of your 87u... I have the 55 gram variant and the box says its 'silent', but it sounds fairly similar to my non type-S HHKB. Its tricky to compare one is plate mounted and the other is not.
I thought RealForce Type-S only comes in ergonomic weighting (that's what mine is)?

The info on mine:
Leopold
RealForce 87USW
Model: SE070S
Made In Japan

Muirium
µ

18 Jan 2015, 23:36

The 55g Realforce isn't a Type-S. That might be where the confusion's coming from.

ShivaYash

18 Jan 2015, 23:41

Thanks M. All this type-s stuff is rather confusing. I'd take 55 grams over alleged silence!

Muirium
µ

18 Jan 2015, 23:43

Yeah, I probably would too, if I bought a Realforce. But I went HHKB, and there's no 55g choice there, just Type-S and colour.

ShivaYash

18 Jan 2015, 23:43

I think type-s is more exclusive too.

Lunatique

18 Jan 2015, 23:53

I prefer my 55g RealForce to my Type-S too, since the ergonomic weighting isn't really necessary for me (I have pretty strong fingers from being a musician and novelist). I only got the Type-S for the more silent keys, but once I got the 55g version too, I realized the non-silenced versions really aren't that loud--they're about the same as a typical rubber-dome keyboard.

The 55g just feels snappier and more tactile, and since it's normal in terms of noise, there are no drawbacks (for me), while the Type-S's ergonomic weighting gets too light at the pinkie area, and the extra silence while is nice, isn't really necessary unless you need absolutely the most quiet keys possible. I also have a Leopold FC660C, which is 45g, and I love that keyboard. It feels snappier than 45g--more like 50g to me.

The only thing I regret about the 55g is getting it in the black version. I find that for non-typing tasks such as doing content creation where I have to use a ton of esoteric hotkey combos, having clear legends is still better than having to strain to real the black on dark gray legends. I got the black because my Type-S is the white/gray version and I wanted to differentiate them, but in hindsight, that's kind of unnecessary. I might sell the Type-S and the black and just buy a 55g in white/gray, or sell the keycaps on my black and get another set of keycaps. :?

ShivaYash

18 Jan 2015, 23:55

Lunatique wrote:I prefer my 55g RealForce to my Type-S too, since the ergonomic weighting isn't really necessary for me (I have pretty strong fingers from being a musician and novelist). I only got the Type-S for the more silent keys, but once I got the 55g version too, I realized the non-silenced versions really aren't that loud--they're about the same as a typical rubber-dome keyboard.

The 55g just feels snappier and more tactile, and since it's normal in terms of noise, there are no drawbacks (for me), while the Type-S's ergonomic weighting gets too light at the pinkie area, and the extra silence while is nice, isn't really necessary unless you need absolutely the most quiet keys possible. I also have a Leopold FC660C, which is 45g, and I love that keyboard. It feels snappier than 45g--more like 50g to me.

The only thing I regret about the 55g is getting it in the black version. I find that for non-typing tasks such as doing content creation where I have to use a ton of esoteric hotkey combos, having clear legends is still better than having to strain to real the black on dark gray legends. I got the black because my Type-S is the white/gray version and I wanted to differentiate them, but in hindsight, that's kind of unnecessary. I might sell the Type-S and the black and just buy a 55g in white/gray, or sell the keycaps on my black and get another set of keycaps. :?
I'm in the market for another hhkb. Let me know if you decide to sell. But getting keycaps is obviously a solution. I got a full set of hhkb caps in white from an eBay seller in Japan for £40. Free postage!

Lunatique

19 Jan 2015, 00:31

ShivaYash wrote:
Lunatique wrote:I prefer my 55g RealForce to my Type-S too, since the ergonomic weighting isn't really necessary for me (I have pretty strong fingers from being a musician and novelist). I only got the Type-S for the more silent keys, but once I got the 55g version too, I realized the non-silenced versions really aren't that loud--they're about the same as a typical rubber-dome keyboard.

I'm in the market for another hhkb. Let me know if you decide to sell. But getting keycaps is obviously a solution. I got a full set of hhkb caps in white from an eBay seller in Japan for £40. Free postage!
I don't have any HHKB. My Topre keyboards are:

RealForce 87U Type-S (with ergonomic weighting), in white/gray
RealForce 87U 55g, in black
Leopold FC660C, in white/gray

ShivaYash

21 Jan 2015, 15:11

Lunatique wrote:
ShivaYash wrote:

I don't have any HHKB. My Topre keyboards are:

RealForce 87U Type-S (with ergonomic weighting), in white/gray
RealForce 87U 55g, in black
Leopold FC660C, in white/gray
Where is the Leopold made?

Hypersphere

21 Jan 2015, 15:27

@ShivaYash: My Leopold FC660C was made in China. Leopold is a Korean company, but some of their factories/assembly sites are in China.

ShivaYash

21 Jan 2015, 15:35

Hypersphere wrote: @ShivaYash: My Leopold FC660C was made in China. Leopold is a Korean company, but some of their factories/assembly sites are in China.
Thanks, you happy with the build quality? How close does it get to the offerings of Realforce or PFU?

With best,

Hypersphere

22 Jan 2015, 00:13

ShivaYash wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: @ShivaYash: My Leopold FC660C was made in China. Leopold is a Korean company, but some of their factories/assembly sites are in China.
Thanks, you happy with the build quality? How close does it get to the offerings of Realforce or PFU?

With best,
My FC660C actually had a slight defect. I reported it to the vendor (Elitekeyboards at the time, but they no longer carry Leopold products) and they sent a repair kit for the minor issue, which was a barely noticeable "give' or "creak" in the case when pressure was applied by gripping the case in the middle and squeezing. Other than this, I found the build quality to be solid. The typing sound and feel was similar to that of my RF 87u. However, at the time I bought the FC660C, it was difficult to find good replacement keycaps. In addition, the form factor and layout were not quite to my liking. I prefer a TKL form factor that I can remap to something close to a Mac/HHKB layout or a 60% form factor that is either HHKB Pro 2 or another layout that I can remap to that of a HHKB Pro 2. So, I ended up giving away the FC660C and buying a HHKB Pro 2 and RF 87ub 55g.

In fact, I am typing this on my relatively new KBP V60MTS-C with dye-sub PBT keycaps from an IBM 5140. I like the V60 about as much as my HHKB Pro 2.

brdrgz

22 Jan 2015, 01:27

The Type-S switch is just as much a revised version of the original switch as it is a silenced version of the original switch.

Muirium
µ

22 Jan 2015, 01:34

It's clearly awesomer: or it wouldn't be a higher price!

Anyway, in a week or so I'll finally have mine. Then you'll all hear too much about Type-S.

Hypersphere

22 Jan 2015, 02:06

It was just one of things...a trip to the moon on awesomer wings.

Looking forward to your firsthand impressions of the Type-S HHKB Pro 2, mu. I wish you could have a standard HHKB Pro 2 as well so that you could do side-by-side comparisons.

When I type on a model that is supposed to be quiet, I become distracted by spurious sounds emanating from the keyboard that might indicate defects of some kind. Therefore, it is a pleasant diversion to use a board renowned for its noise. For example, at the moment, I am enjoying typing on my very loud V60 with Matias Click switches -- the happy racket is comforting, as it seems that all is as it should be.

Muirium
µ

22 Jan 2015, 02:14

I'm an IBM guy for the most part. No shortage of loud boards here either!

The few days I had an HHKB last year (DanielT's standard black model, on its way via proxy) were enough to confirm that it lives up to my expectations. Superb, essentially ideal form factor and layout. Better feel than even a Realforce. The Type-S will have a lot to prove.

Hypersphere

22 Jan 2015, 02:47

Muirium wrote: I'm an IBM guy for the most part. No shortage of loud boards here either!

The few days I had an HHKB last year (DanielT's standard black model, on its way via proxy) were enough to confirm that it lives up to my expectations. Superb, essentially ideal form factor and layout. Better feel than even a Realforce. The Type-S will have a lot to prove.
Which RF have you tried? If memory serves, I think it was a variable RF104. I have never tried the full-size and/or a Topre variable, but the sound and feel of the RF87u 55g is superb. However, it seems that the more keyboards I try, the more I gravitate toward the 60% form factor. And the HHKB Pro 2 layout is tops in my book. Putting this together, I think the nearly perfect board would be a HHKB Pro 2 with plate-mounted 55g Topre switches. The jury is still out for me regarding standard vs. silenced, although I am leaning toward favoring the standard model. I am really looking forward to your impressions of the Type-S in the context of what you can recall about the non-silenced version.

Return to “Keyboards”