IBM model M industrial? Seriously...

ShivaYash

27 Jan 2015, 00:05

Evening chaps,

Can someone please explain what all the fuss is about? I mean I love my SSK, and to be honest, since getting it, everything else I own, KB wise, has been packed away.

But what is the craze about having a slightly darker outer casing in the lovely SSK layout, that makes us KB nerds, go nuts?

I just don't understand. What I do understand is that having 'something special' on ones desk usually means, not many others are privileged to have the same item, I get that. But with some of the prices being commanded here and on other forums for the 'unicorn' industrial model, I do wonder, do we all need a reality check?

As always, with best,
SY

Hypersphere

27 Jan 2015, 01:39

Some actually like the industrial color. Some are drawn to collecting things that are rare. As for me, I count myself fortunate to have an SSK! As far as I know, the innards and perhaps also the keycaps are the same as the SSK industrial.

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Jan 2015, 01:48

Collectors' itch.

Although I do think that the color is quite beautiful, even though almost all of my gear is beige.

Supply and demand dictates price. My guess is that the industrial color is 20x more rare than beige, maybe 100x.

gatherjunk

27 Jan 2015, 04:21

Don't delve into the mentality of a collector if you wish to stay sane. If there a super rare limited model M which shocked you with each keypress, it'd go for thousands still.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Jan 2015, 11:28

ShivaYash wrote: Evening chaps,

Can someone please explain what all the fuss is about? I mean I love my SSK, and to be honest, since getting it, everything else I own, KB wise, has been packed away.

But what is the craze about having a slightly darker outer casing in the lovely SSK layout, that makes us KB nerds, go nuts?

I just don't understand. What I do understand is that having 'something special' on ones desk usually means, not many others are privileged to have the same item, I get that. But with some of the prices being commanded here and on other forums for the 'unicorn' industrial model, I do wonder, do we all need a reality check?
As always, with best,
SY
normal SSK = $150 - $350 vs. industrial SSK = $750 - $1250 = MADNESS! :?

you`re paying approx. 500 - 850 more for a color variation! :o

Madhias
BS TORPE

27 Jan 2015, 12:34

Rarity!

ShivaYash

27 Jan 2015, 12:35

Of course. I want one. Cos I'm an addict. And stupid.

snoopy

27 Jan 2015, 12:41

It's totally stupid to pay that huge extra amount... but... I want a second one... :lol:

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 12:50

Whenever prices shoot off into crazytown, the reason is two words. Geek Hack.

Clacks are the definitive example. Scarcity doesn't only raise the price, but actually increases demand. (Especially artificial scarcity, just ask De Beers.) People seek status, exclusivity, a feeling, essentially. And so prices go up beyond linearly.

Don't stroke them. That's all they want!

Halvar

27 Jan 2015, 12:56

"We buy things we don’t need, with money we don’t have, to impress people we don’t like" (Tyler Durden, "Figh Club")

(edit: added source)
Last edited by Halvar on 27 Jan 2015, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 12:59

Then never post it on the internet. The desperate need people have to show off their stuff — including heavy hints about its price — indicates the exact opposite. These are four figure handbags for boys!

Hmm… looks like Industrial SSKs have a long way to go yet.
This one's quarter of a million USD.

Anyway, I've nothing against the hardware itself. Model Ms are very practical boards, and the industrial colour scheme is quite slick. But as we're talking about prices: grumbly old man power: engage!

TacticalCoder

27 Jan 2015, 19:42

ShivaYash wrote: But what is the craze about having a slightly darker outer casing in the lovely SSK layout, that makes us KB nerds, go nuts?
Simple: imagine this, but with a SSK:
keyboardTwoIndustrialModelM.jpg
keyboardTwoIndustrialModelM.jpg (123.93 KiB) Viewed 8974 times
Resistance is futile: buy an industrial SSK or a NOS top industrial shell for your SSK (if anyone is selling one such SSK industrial shell, you can PM me) :lol:

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 19:45

Aren't those special "bianca" or Hellgrau caps or whatever they're called in IBM-speak?

scottc

27 Jan 2015, 19:54

Look like they're from an Ambra M.

TacticalCoder

27 Jan 2015, 19:56

Muirium wrote: Aren't those special "bianca" or Hellgrau caps or whatever they're called in IBM-speak?
I don't know how they're called: the black keys comes from a black M13 and the white keys comes from an "Ambra" Model which I have here M (but AFAICT not all the Ambra Model Ms had white keys: some Ambra were beige I think).

Ripster once posted a picture (before he was banned on GH) of his "G.I. Joe Mini": an industrial SSK with white-on-black keys from a M13.

That's where I got the idea for the setup (although in full-size: I don't have the industrial SSK) and I've seen others with the same setup :D

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 20:00

Ah, "Ambra", that was the name I was looking for!

I like the native industrial look, especially with those mysteriously blue keys they'd throw on the SSKs. But then again I like the standard Model M outfit just as much. All these originals are better than what Unicomp can manufacture these days.

(Besides blanks. A black Kishsaver with black blanks is a notable exception!)

andrewjoy

27 Jan 2015, 20:04

Muirium wrote: Aren't those special "bianca" or Hellgrau caps or whatever they're called in IBM-speak?
oh man if they did them in ansi !

Madhias
BS TORPE

27 Jan 2015, 20:14

Muirium wrote: Whenever prices shoot off into crazytown, the reason is two words. Geek Hack.!
Nope, it is not GH, it is about possession and/or collectors. You have that in every other nerdy hobby too, doesn't matter if it is comics, antiques, books, trading card games or whatever.

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2015, 00:54

True. I just like to maintain the pretence that all the nouveau riche big spenders are on GH, while the discerning connoisseurs of crud-caked antiquities frequent our club instead. It's almost true, most of the time…

But then I forget all about Korea!

Some of the collectors who push prices way beyond sense aren't even on the forums. There's even that guy who dares bid against HaaTa, whose asterisk masked name lives in infamy. Whatever he does with his spoils doesn't involve posting pictures online.

ShivaYash

28 Jan 2015, 11:20

I accept all the points made. In 2015, what should an industrial grey SSK fetch, on the open market, minus silly inflation. I.e. what do WE think SHOULD be worth?

My background and SSK ownership:

Being a newbie SSK owner, in real terms my KB cost me a tad under £140. I procured it via a swap and the unit I received in exchange, from a lovely seller on this forum, was exactly what I was expecting. A well used, single piece key example from Sept. 1987, complete with years of dirt and debris inside, battle scars, a broken up-stand etc. and in need of a jolly good wash and brush up.

It took me about two weeks to get it running nicely, and only yesterday, did I manage to solve the right hand side shift key issue. Its still not 100% perfect, but I feel, once bedded in, it will be.

Given the circumstances, I think both parties got a good deal, especially given the Realforce I swapped was brand new and retails for a tad under £200 (in the UK), and the SSK from my understanding, isn't that widely available. But I managed to save on the initial purchase as the Realforce was sourced from Australia. I benefitted from free global shipping, courtesy of my father in law, and a weak Australian dollar against the pound.

So, with this in mind, what should the 'unicorn' of the range cost, and what is the best year for such a board?

With best,

snoopy

28 Jan 2015, 11:37

somewhere around 400$

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jan 2015, 11:38

you got a decent deal. I paid € 150,00 for my first one and it`s not perfect but clean and working. On the other hand I could have gotten a NIB one from cindy for that. It´s all relative. I paid € 170,00 for Madhias super clean screw modded SSK which is an even better deal to me since it`s refurbished in a very professional manner. I´d considder anything beyond € 350,00 for a really nice one quite expensive.

snoopy

28 Jan 2015, 11:49

Overall I paid around 180€ for my first one, including shipping and import taxes. And it was the longest wait ever. I think it took around 2 month to arrive.

29 Jan 2015, 18:51

I'll be honest. I wouldn't want an industrial M even if they were $20(well, maybe I would if only to resell it for bank), and a lot of it comes down to the color, which does absolutely nothing for me, but that's me. Personally, I think they're ugly.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Jan 2015, 19:01

Ugly keyboard:

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

29 Jan 2015, 19:04

Quite the duckly ugling. *drools*

29 Jan 2015, 19:14

That Industrial SSK with blank caps looks nice, but I could care less about the standard 101 key industrial M.

ShivaYash

29 Jan 2015, 19:23

I'm an idiot and love it. I have my SSK already, but am slumming it without the dark grey. Stupid.

Khers

29 Jan 2015, 19:45

Industrial with blanks - awesome! Makes me want to put blanks on my standard one. Might not give quite the same effect though...

Kind of agree that 101 key industrial Ms look kind of meh, but I haven't ever seen one IRL.

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Jan 2015, 23:25

ShivaYash wrote:
what should an industrial grey SSK fetch, on the open market, minus silly inflation be worth?
3x-5x the price of a standard one, based on supply (low) and demand (high)

Return to “Keyboards”