Ganss mechanical keyboards w/cherry mx switches ?

mech greenhand

05 Feb 2015, 14:43

Any one has any experiences with ganss mechanical keyboards ?? Like the 87-key layout, GS-87 with cherry mx switches?

Thanks

IvanIvanovich

06 Feb 2015, 17:36

Looks like it's the same thing as Choc MID87 to me.

Stabilized

06 Feb 2015, 21:45

Quick google search leads me to this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/87-mecha ... 59058.html

I would agree with Ivan, looks a lot like a Choc MID87, which, to me, looks a lot like Filco.

mech greenhand

07 Feb 2015, 09:51

Thanks for checking for me. I know the link, it's from my shop.. :D
I have collected some info in China , just was wondering if anyone abroad using this keyboard as well, as this is a new board from Chinese manufacturer with cherry switch., so i assume maybe it worthwhile to promote it.

Thank you again..

imbattable

07 Feb 2015, 12:55

I have a Lioncast LK-20 on which I am typing at this moment and it looks the same (the LED positioning) as the filco/GS.

zts

24 Mar 2015, 06:09

For a completely unknown brand in the US, I think it's a solid entry-level TKL mechanical keyboard (by price of around $100) and better (by a solid build). One great thing is the use of genuine Cherry MX switches (which, shamefully, many of more expensive keyboard brands replaced with clones). Also, GANSS included some extra keycaps and keypuller -- NEAT.

What's needed:
- something in English (only Chinese directions included, both on the box and inside)

Optional:
- a backlit version for people who like that type of stuff
- detachable USB cord (also for people who like that type of stuff)

Negative: cheapo keycaps, no, maybe the keycaps are actually OK for the ABS keycaps, but the lettering method ... well, it sucks ... you can see the labels on the keys from a mile away

My impression: solid entry-level mechanical TKL KB that uses genuine Cherry MX switches, well built and puts to shame some more expensive keyboards. The factory-installed keycaps need to be replaced with something better. I get a slight metallic ping toward the middle with the greens, but it's barely noticeable.

Edit: ... forgot, that IE symbol on F2 ... why?

zts

08 Apr 2015, 04:14

a mini update on this topic ... one of my office people is using this keyboard (with Cherry MX browns) for about 2 months with no problems. The other one (with Cherry MX greens) is in a small server room that is not used very much. In general, it appears to be a good deal for a TKL with Cherry MX for around $80, except with the MX greens that run around $100.

Like others pointed out the keyboard is almost identical to Noppoo Choc MID87, but it could be that GANSS is a subdivision of Noppoo that still uses Cherry MX rather than some version of *Noppoo* clone switches. As one of the sellers says:
Ganss GS-87, a brand extension from Noppoo and has continued the solid build of keyboard quality
Not sure on how to interpret that statement except as some kind of subdivision, or side-project, or *under umbrella* of Noppoo. Anyways, GANSS seems to be a way to still get a no-frills KBs with genuine Cherry MX switches in discount markets. So far the only downside is the keycaps lettering method GANSS uses, so if you are after esthetics than you'll probably have to replace the factory-installed keycaps with something better. And a few pics:

Box labeling:
ganns_2.jpeg
ganns_2.jpeg (244.78 KiB) Viewed 9522 times
Another reason to replace keycaps ... the IE shortcut?? :roll:
ganns_5.jpeg
ganns_5.jpeg (147.21 KiB) Viewed 9522 times
Back label:
ganns_6.jpeg
ganns_6.jpeg (384.82 KiB) Viewed 9522 times
Cherry MX (greens):
ganns_7.jpeg
ganns_7.jpeg (227.75 KiB) Viewed 9522 times
Board:
ganns_8.jpeg
ganns_8.jpeg (466.88 KiB) Viewed 9522 times
Nicely factory greased up stabilizers:
ganns_10.jpeg
ganns_10.jpeg (754.12 KiB) Viewed 9522 times

mech greenhand

08 Apr 2015, 16:33

Cool review

andrewjoy

08 Apr 2015, 17:21

I did not think it possible to have worse caps that come with a filco but it is!

Its not bad for its price but i would honestly just buy the filco, i still use mine for games ( still not got arround to building that gamepad) and its loverly. Accept no compromise, save up for a month and get the filco, you won't regret it.

zts

08 Apr 2015, 20:01

andrewjoy wrote: I did not think it possible to have worse caps that come with a filco but it is!

Its not bad for its price but i would honestly just buy the filco, i still use mine for games ( still not got arround to building that gamepad) and its loverly. Accept no compromise, save up for a month and get the filco, you won't regret it.
Saving for Filco is a maybe a good idea, but what actually amazes me is that many of the top tier (by price and quality) KB manufacturers cut corners at the last step and supply some really crappy keycaps. And, yes, Filcos are a known high quality, reliable KBs ... it's a bit harder to get them with anything but MX browns and reds ... frankly I haven't seen them with MX greens. Ganss, Noppoo, Keycool and other cheaper manufacturers also have their place ... say, for a small office on 10 KBs from Ganss or Keycool TKLs I'd save around $500 compared to buying Filco TKLs. Interestingly, the cheaper productions that are cheaper on the basis of various clone switches will frequently try to compete by adding some pretty nice PBT caps. Ganss, in this case, decided to try a different approach by getting the known quality of Cherry MX and save on keycaps. In both, Filco and Ganss, one will probably need to replace keycaps, so the only question that remains is if Filco quality beats Ganss quality by $50+.

Muirium
µ

08 Apr 2015, 20:07

Ducky's a good mid-range option. Cheaper than Filco, and they do some very nice PBT dyesub caps, with various boards featuring them in some editions. My own experience with Ducky was very good. They make a solid, genuine Cherry MX switch TKL. And they use the better kind of stabs!

zts

08 Apr 2015, 20:24

Muirium wrote: Ducky's a good mid-range option. Cheaper than Filco, and they do some very nice PBT dyesub caps, with various boards featuring them in some editions. My own experience with Ducky was very good. They make a solid, genuine Cherry MX switch TKL. And they use the better kind of stabs!
Yep, I agree. Have a few of Duckys (full size), one personal and maybe 3 at work -- very sturdy, durable and never a problem. The factory installed ABS caps are relatively slick but pleasant to touch. Ducky with the blues ... maybe the best MX blues sound I've heard so far.

mech greenhand

10 Apr 2015, 12:33

Now ganss released LED versions.. Blue LED and Purple LED with cherry mx switches....

CorusKB

24 Jul 2015, 18:23

zts wrote: Like others pointed out the keyboard is almost identical to Noppoo Choc MID87, but it could be that GANSS is a subdivision of Noppoo that still uses Cherry MX rather than some version of *Noppoo* clone switches. As one of the sellers says:
Ganss GS-87, a brand extension from Noppoo and has continued the solid build of keyboard quality
Not sure on how to interpret that statement except as some kind of subdivision, or side-project, or *under umbrella* of Noppoo.

Hello,

Ganss is not a part of noppoo at all. Whoever told you that is not well informed, or was lied to.
Ganss developped their sales in china through one "rogue" employee from noppoo, who later quit :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

24 Jul 2015, 19:46

Sounds like a mighty slim distinction to me!

punksinatra

14 Oct 2016, 20:52

Sorry to bump this thread. I am planning to get this TKL board and was hoping to get feedback from old users of the board. How is it holding up (except ofcourse from the keycaps) :D

AdrianMan

22 May 2017, 09:06

Hello,

Is this pcb or plate mounted ?

ImbaHue

22 May 2017, 10:59

Plate mounted

AdrianMan

22 May 2017, 12:50

ImbaHue wrote: Plate mounted

Thank you !

That means I can't switch the springs for the cherry switches without desoldering :(

On the + side, it should be sturdy :)

Stabilized

22 May 2017, 13:05

You're not really going to find many keyboards today that use PCB mount switches. Your best bet would be to go for something with hot swappable switches, or build a kit with a plate that allows switch top removal.

Or you could buy a Cherry/GMK board.

Laser
emacs -nw

22 May 2017, 13:09

AdrianMan, I sent you a PM about *something* involving PCB-mounted switches.

AdrianMan

22 May 2017, 15:36

Thank you guys for all the info...I've found and ordered the ganss 87 from aliexpress with clear mx switches... wish me luck :) I'll post some pics & updates when it arrives.

Return to “Keyboards”