Hall Effect Keyboard

Firebolt1914

20 Feb 2015, 17:00

Hey DT, I recently acquired two Hall Effect keyboards, and I was wondering if anyone can identify them, and/or give me more information about them before I attempt to replace the controller.

I basically have the matrix figured out, and before I order a few supplies, I want to get a bit more information about them.

Here's a crappy imgur album of pictures. If anyone wants more pictures, just ask. https://imgur.com/a/7sWEN

I'm also a total noob when it comes to converting, so I may ask quite a bit of questions on how to do so. Should I use the TMK firmware and edit it to the matrix of the hall effect keyboard?

(First post on DT!!)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Feb 2015, 17:04

nice find, I own a Micro Switch hall effect kB myself but unfortunately I cannot help you!

Welcome to DT!

mr_a500

20 Feb 2015, 18:25

That's from a Honeywell terminal, probably something like the VIP 7205.

Firebolt1914

20 Feb 2015, 18:42

Interesting; looking at that picture, it seems to have the same layout as my keyboard does. Thanks for this information!

Miko

20 Feb 2015, 18:49

I case you know something about the eletrical behaviour of these switches, I'd appreciate it. I do absolutely not dare to replace the controller on mine, even though i don't how to communicate with it.

Firebolt1914

20 Feb 2015, 19:39

What do you mean 'electrical behavior'? Can you elaborate a bit more?

The only reason why I'm even considering doing a full controller replacement is because I have two keyboards, so it's not like mine is the only one left. :P

Muirium
µ

20 Feb 2015, 19:59

We have a wiki, which is the best place to start:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Honeywell_Hall_Effect

And I have a Honeywell board as well. Yours definitely feels familiar:

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/a-hon ... t6296.html

Apparently someone's had luck converting (their Micro Switch brother) the Space Cadet keyboard recently. So there could be new hope for these boards. Until now, they've been… tricky. Especially if you don't want to hack them up.

Firebolt1914

20 Feb 2015, 20:39

Has someone converted the protocol, or simply replaced the controller?

I'm currently collaborating with dorkvader to get more hall effect keyboards converted to USB.

Miko

20 Feb 2015, 21:59

Well, after reading the wiki and the Honywell Manual, I still don't know weather they have a amplifier integrated or not, what the pins are, and how to deal with a matrix of them.

By the way: You might be lucky. This could compatible to the connector on http://www.kbdbabel.org. In that case it's a simple paralell interface with a strobe pin. In That case it would be very easy to connect to a microcontroller.

/edit 2:
Here is a picture from the cable:

Looking at what pins are connected, I'd say these are identical => Jackpot.

Now you only need to know the mapping from the pins on the pcb to the connector. I have a cable that connects these two, so I can help you with that. PM me.

Also the kdbbabel guy has some notes on these keyboards, he send me via email. Looking at them, they look a lot more helpfull to you.

/edit:

Ok, this seems to be a 1 key roll over keyboard. I didn't see the trick witch of hall switches, because there is none.

Firebolt1914

25 Feb 2015, 04:16

If anyone has done a controller replacement on an old keyboard, would they be willing to give me a few pointers/tips?

Or would this question be a better post on the workshop subforum?

seebart

25 Feb 2015, 14:08

Firebolt1914 and Miko you guys are doing what I should be doing to get my really old keyboards up and running and I wish I could help. Keep up the good work!

Firebolt1914

25 Feb 2015, 18:31

seebart wrote: Firebolt1914 and Miko you guys are doing what I should be doing to get my really old keyboards up and running and I wish I could help. Keep up the good work!
Would you happen to know anyone that is experienced in controllers that is still active in the community that can help? I'm stuck between either HaaTa's firmware or Soarer's.

seebart

25 Feb 2015, 18:35

For one HaaTa is still around. I'm not going to make any assumptions on his controller knowledge. I know he's got plenty of know how on these really old keyboard's. What exactly do you mean by "experienced in controllers"?

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 18:39

HaaTa made numpads with these switches, so he definitely knows how they work at the base level. Have you PMed him about this?

Hasu's firmware is legendary for its wide protocol support. I suggest checking it out and maybe getting in touch with him too:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/tmk- ... t4478.html

Hasu's Japanese, so be concise! (Something I'm not always great at.) There's some posts on my Honeywell thread that are worth a look, as well:

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/a-hon ... ml#p125813

Firebolt1914

25 Feb 2015, 19:51

Yeah I've consulted HaaTa a ton with this project. He suggested a full handwiring of designing my own PCB as it's a ton of work to make a 1KRO into 2KRO.

seebart, what I meant was: people who have edited pre-existing firmware to work with odd, old, keyboards.

mr_a500

25 Feb 2015, 20:58

Muirium wrote: HaaTa made numpads with these switches, so he definitely knows how they work at the base level. Have you PMed him about this?
He didn't make the numpads, but he did convert them. I have one and it works nicely. I'm sure he can make a converter for these keyboards. The trick is finding some incentive for him to do so. Maybe we need to get together and bribe him to do it. (...or kidnap him and refuse to release him until a converter is made :mrgreen: )

seebart

25 Feb 2015, 21:07

I'd bribe him to get my Micro Switch running! Depends on his price. Best to make him an offer he cannot refuse![emoji57]

mr_a500

25 Feb 2015, 21:14

I'll get the gun.

seebart

25 Feb 2015, 21:19

No guns! That reminds me: "a Canadian is like an American; without a gun!"

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 21:23

They got plenty of guns over there, as a matter of fact. I'd say Canadians are like Americans without the imperial ambition!

(Which is why this place, with its fading self esteem, loves so to see our likeness in America, not Canada. Though the latter is the truth!)

mr_a500

25 Feb 2015, 21:23

Yeah... I was faking it. I have no gun. I do have a pellet gun though. I might be able to pierce his ears.

seebart

25 Feb 2015, 21:27

Possibly. More guns more problems. One problem we don't have here in Germany. Not anymore.

I have a pellet rifle actually. We could team up.[emoji61]
Last edited by seebart on 25 Feb 2015, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 21:29

We don't even have airguns in Scotland any more. Too busy trying to stop Dunblane, years after the horse bolted…

Firebolt1914

08 Mar 2015, 19:38

Anyone want to help me design a 3d printable hall effect spacebar?

If I can't manage to program in 2kro, I'm probably going to make a custom hall effect board.

dvorak

09 Mar 2015, 14:25

Mmmmmmmm... those keycaps are divine.

Return to “Keyboards”