Decent mouse for a decent price.

andrewjoy

17 Mar 2015, 12:04

Hi guys , you may know that i have recently transitioned to trackballs when not playing them there computerised games. They are more accurate and better for the wrist smoother save desk space and allow you to use a larger keyboard.

However i need a mouse for games where the trackball won't do, i replaced my dead deathadder with a Logitech Perfroance MX, and whist its well built and has a loverly shape for the hand the sensor is abysmal. Its inaccurate at delicate work the pointer jumps a good mm or so when trying to do fine movement and it laggs like you would not imagine.

What i am looking for is a decent gaming mouse, something a similar shape to the performance MX or deathadder, with the performance of the deathadder. For me the sensor in the deathadder was just right i just don't want to buy one agin, being inside of it i can see how poorly it is built.

Any ideas?

EDIT

I am not looking for anything flashy i don't need LEDs everywhere or a million buttons , a standard mouse 2 button + scroll wheel do, with possibly 2 extra programmable buttons. I don't need drivers that cloud save your settings or on the fly DPI changes or super awesome golden connectors or any of that rubbish , just a solid mouse with a decent sensor .
Last edited by andrewjoy on 17 Mar 2015, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

chzel

17 Mar 2015, 12:09

Mionix Avior/Naos 7000
Bit handicapped software but otherwise great mouse

Stabilized

17 Mar 2015, 12:10

I like the G400 personally, been using one for a good three years or so. Had to replace the cable about twice (also got a G400s the first time the cable broke under warranty), but it's a great mouse with a good sensor. That is probably the closest thing I can think of, and it can still be bought at a pretty good price; can't say much about the G402, but that gets good reviews as well.

FWIW, I am a low sensitivity gamer as I play CS:GO, so I use the G400 at 400 dpi.

Edit: I paid 30 quid for mine three years ago, and they can be got for around this amount on Amazon from time to time.

scottc

17 Mar 2015, 12:15

I'm not smart with this sensor stuff, but a few friends of mine swear by the "Sharkoon Fireglider". It's really cheap, has a nice shape to it, and seems to work quite well.

Eszett

17 Mar 2015, 12:16

chzel wrote: Mionix Avior/Naos 7000
Bit handicapped software but otherwise great mouse
Nah ... with “decent price” I would reather expect something around 30 €! In my experience computer mice are products which are 1) often highly overpriced and 2) of crappy quality (cheap plastic), even the overpriced “premium sector” mice, as for example my R.A.T. 7. This sells for around 70 € and I would estimate its quality value around 20–30€. I don’t even want to know the production costs ¿5? €, ¿10? €). People would probably feel fooled if the knew :cry:

Where are the mice ...
1) ... with decent quality?
2) ... with true innovation? LEDs and transformers™-Design is just dazzlement for infantile people.
3) ... good ergonomics for huge hands? The R.A.T. 7 is not less puny as all the other mice.
Last edited by Eszett on 17 Mar 2015, 12:32, edited 5 times in total.

Stabilized

17 Mar 2015, 12:18

Oh yeah, I would agree with the overprice statement; there seems to be an unwritten rule that if it's got LEDs and "inspired/built by gamers" somewhere on the box, expect to spend 50 quid or so :P

If all you care about is the switches and the sensor, this one can be had for 14 quid on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology%C ... avago+3090
Last edited by Stabilized on 17 Mar 2015, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

17 Mar 2015, 12:22

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology®- ... avago+3090

looks exactly like the type of thing i am looking for. May give it a go

Thanks for your ideas guys if you think of any others let me know!

Stabilized

17 Mar 2015, 12:26

Cool, give us an update to let us know if it's any good or not :)

andrewjoy

17 Mar 2015, 12:32

Its on the way, i was going to try the cheaper lower DPI one as well but in the end i settled for this.

I also have this on the way

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Large-S ... 3ce960dcdd

MY steelseeries one has been washed several times and is on its last legs time for a replacement, and i wanted something that would cover a large area of my desk to protect it from beasts like my beamspring !

Stabilized

17 Mar 2015, 12:34

How long have you owned the Steelseries mat? I have had mine for three years and it still works fine (haven't washed it though :oops:).

andrewjoy

17 Mar 2015, 12:43

it works fine , have had it about the same time . it just looks a bit nasty and is not long enough , i had 2 ( to make one long one but one had a nasty encounter with a soldering iron

\/\/oll3

18 Mar 2015, 16:28

Eszett wrote: I don’t even want to know the production costs ¿5? €, ¿10? €). People would probably feel fooled if the knew :cry:
Not that low, but it variates of course, also there is no need for innovation, CMOS Sensors are still N1 and USB is still a thing for peripherals, simply because the target audience wouldnt even feel any difference.

andrewjoy wrote:
Thanks for your ideas guys if you think of any others let me know!
Budget? Gripstyle?

andrewjoy

18 Mar 2015, 16:33

palm grip, budget less than 30 quid ( GBP)

\/\/oll3

18 Mar 2015, 16:51

andrewjoy wrote: palm grip, budget less than 30 quid ( GBP)
Well that Palm Grip certainly limits the Options, the only decent options i know of are the Corsair M30, the Epicgear Blade, and the CM Storm Alcor, with the Alcor being the objectively best option, altough depending on your Hand size it might be too small.

A real budget option would be the Sharkoon Fireglider Optical, you would get Huanos and PAW 3305 with 1.0X Lense in there.

Stabilized

18 Mar 2015, 17:02

FWIW I have an alcor, I bought it from Amazon for £20 and I would say that it's a good mouse for that price; here's a quick list of good and bad IMO:

Good:
- Very light mouse (could also be a bad thing, depending on preference)
- Light mouse 1 and 2 buttons
- Light and flexible cord
- No angle snapping or acceleration (this does depend on DPI and the firmware you use)

Bad:
- Mushy side buttons
- Confusing firmware (you have to flash different firmwares to the mouse depending on what DPI you want to use)
- No software for macros (which could also be a good thing)
- Nasty finish to the plastic (it feels like the shiny, oily abs keycaps you get with a backlit keyboard)
- Nowhere to put your pinky
- Bit too low for me (also a problem with the DA for me)
- Not very well defined clicks on the scroll wheel

The mouse I linked above uses the same sensor (well regarded optical sensor) and also comes with omron switches; worth it seeing as the alcor seems to go for around £30 now on Amazon.

\/\/oll3

18 Mar 2015, 17:32

Stabilized wrote: worth it seeing as the alcor seems to go for around £30 now on Amazon.
Sensor is only one part of the whole "machinery"(anyone remembering the spawn release disaster?). ;)

andrewjoy

19 Mar 2015, 19:07

Got the mouse today. First impressions are good , its decent build quality and feels nice in the hand. At 4000dps its way too sensitive for me, 1600 is the sweet spot for me.

You can change the light to any colour you want pretty much, i have just set it to its lowest brightness and set it to white . You can assign a colour to a DPI setting so you can see on the fly what one you are on ( handy i guess)

the software is a bit flaky i had to reboot several times to get it to work but now its up and running its fine, i only intend to use it to remap the buttons i have no need for profiles and the likes.

It is very light i prefer a bit more meat to my mouse but that's a small issue.

For the price i would highly recommend it .

Anyone want to buy a performance MX?

chzel

19 Mar 2015, 19:09

Which one did you get?

andrewjoy

19 Mar 2015, 19:10

EC Technology 4000 dpi

ndree

16 Apr 2015, 21:34

Perixx MX-800, up to 2500 dpi. I got mine for € 8.

Mal-2

16 Apr 2015, 23:23

My $4.77 (including shipping) generic 6-button mouse from China is actually doing better than I expected. The skid pads made all sorts of scraping noise when it was new, but after a few weeks of use they have taken a shine where they make contact, and quieted down to acceptable levels.

Also, the buttons had really pointy tips, easy to get cut on them, so I filed them down.

It had a "1337n355" blue LED to light up the case, and no way to switch it off. I simply removed it. I could have just clipped a lead and left it in place, but thought maybe I'd use it in something else. Then I lost it. :lol:

It works as well as my Razer Death Adder ever did, and cost less than a tenth as much. 1600 dpi (or maybe it's 1800) is fine for me. I wish I could set the dpi once and then use the sixth button for something else, but I don't think anyone exposes that button to the OS.
Last edited by Mal-2 on 17 Apr 2015, 04:38, edited 3 times in total.

scottc

16 Apr 2015, 23:24

Could we have a link, please?

Mal-2

16 Apr 2015, 23:31

scottc wrote: Could we have a link, please?
Sure. It's gone up slightly due to exchange rates, but we're still talking $5 and change.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Black-Wired- ... 35e83304b2

Mine has red accents. Otherwise, this is it exactly. You can actually get higher-DPI mice with six buttons even cheaper, but they also look like F-22 fighters. (I like boxy cars, but round mice.)

jeffkoch

17 Apr 2015, 01:31

andrewjoy wrote: Got the mouse today. First impressions are good , its decent build quality and feels nice in the hand. At 4000dps its way too sensitive for me, 1600 is the sweet spot for me.
<snip>
Anyone want to buy a performance MX?
It sounds like you need to reduce your mouse speed or acceleration settings.

Perhaps that is why you find the MX too jumpy as well. I find the MX Anywhere mouse (the little portable one) to be the finest mouse available.

Mal-2

17 Apr 2015, 04:43

andrewjoy wrote: the software is a bit flaky i had to reboot several times to get it to work but now its up and running its fine, i only intend to use it to remap the buttons i have no need for profiles and the likes.
If you're running Windows, check out Mouse Manager. You can change the function of the buttons (including multiple profiles) without running a bloatware driver. My mouse didn't even come with a driver.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”