Is there consensus on the "best" trackball

Sigmoid

21 Mar 2015, 19:24

Currently I'm using a Kensington Orbit, which I find perfectly okay, but falling short of great - mainly due to lack of precision. I know this is a general drawback of trackballs compared to mice, but I think having a larger ball might help...

I have read a lot of reviews mentioning build quality issues in the Expert Mouse, and it feels a bit too baroque for my tastes. :) What I want from a pointing device is high accuracy, a modest desk footprint, compatibility with anything that speaks USB, and three accessible buttons - having a scrolling implement is a nice bonus. :)

sdothum

21 Mar 2015, 19:36

Don't know about best, but I switched to the logitech trackman eons ago. Use it with all my desktop systems.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/trackman-marble

Stabilized

21 Mar 2015, 19:39

I use a Kensington Slimblade, and after trying a couple of other trackballs (Kensington Expert, Logitech M570, CST Kidtrac) I can safely say that the Slimblade is my favourite.

The reasons I like it is because it's the smoothest (by far) out of all the ones I tried and has a super cool scroll function (you twist the ball to scroll). It also has good software that allows you to customise the mouse's function entirely.

I would say the CST ones are good contenders, as they are smooth enough and have a really nice built in palm rest. They have a higher body then the Slimblade (not surprising with slim in its name), which I find is a much more ergonomic shape. They are also are more sturdy and you can mod / replace the ball easily (something you can't do with Slimblade)

The perfect trackball would be a super smooth CST with twist to scroll and Kensington's excellent software.

SL89

21 Mar 2015, 21:04

I prefer thumb trackballs. I wish CST or someone else would make a better one. So for now the best trackball is the one i have the M570 from Logitech.

mr_a500

21 Mar 2015, 21:42

I don't know how anybody can use a thumb trackball. To me, the whole point of a trackball is the ability to relax your hand and use any finger to move the ball. You don't have to keep using the same finger. But on a thumb trackball you're forced to just use the thumb. (repetitive stress)

I use a CH Products DT225. The resolution is fairly low, but I have no problems using it on 2880x1800 with the tracking speed set pretty high. I find it smoother and more reliable than the Microspeed/CST.

SL89

21 Mar 2015, 22:37

If i wanted that I'd go back to trackpad, which is more accurate and involves even more relaxation.

mr_a500

21 Mar 2015, 23:44

I use both, but mostly just use the trackpad for scrolling/swiping. Everything else I find the trackball easier & more comfortable - especially games. The trackpad absolutely sucks for games.

22 Mar 2015, 00:49

I use a Kensington Orbit and a Logitech Trackman FX.

Symmetry

22 Mar 2015, 04:05

mr_a500 wrote:I don't know how anybody can use a thumb trackball. To me, the whole point of a trackball is the ability to relax your hand and use any finger to move the ball. You don't have to keep using the same finger. But on a thumb trackball you're forced to just use the thumb. (repetitive stress)

I use a CH Products DT225. The resolution is fairly low, but I have no problems using it on 2880x1800 with the tracking speed set pretty high. I find it smoother and more reliable than the Microspeed/CST.
I agree. I just can't see the appeal of thumbballs - other than button location.

GuilleAcoustic

22 Mar 2015, 10:20

Symmetry wrote:
mr_a500 wrote:I don't know how anybody can use a thumb trackball. To me, the whole point of a trackball is the ability to relax your hand and use any finger to move the ball. You don't have to keep using the same finger. But on a thumb trackball you're forced to just use the thumb. (repetitive stress)

I agree. I just can't see the appeal of thumbballs - other than button location.
Same. Been using a logitech thumb trackball and didn't like it, too much stress on the thumb to be honest. Switched to a CH Trackball Pro, previous name of the DT225. While it is lower resolution than an optical trackball, it is really smooth and comfortable.

amospalla
let's go

22 Mar 2015, 12:05

Everybody has its preferences, but when you read out there about trackballs you get the idea that the ones generally picked by people that has tested more than one trackball are the CST L-track, Kensington Expert and Kensington Slimblade.

But this is just statisticall data of course. As every Deskthority user knows well, you have to test them all :roll: .

Return to “Mice & other input devices”