(TYPEWRITER ENTHUSIASTS NEEDED) Best Typewriter for practical use?

Ace
§

14 Apr 2015, 10:03

Hello all. I've been looking for a type writer that can be practically used a in a modern environment. The goal is to have some place to type things such as essays and random thoughts without being distracted. Plus, being a keyboard enthusiast, I'll enjoy a wonderful typing experience. Plus they're just "kinda cool". 8-)

Any suggestions as to something I could buy that wouldn't be too difficult to maintain? Obviously some maintenance will be necessary. I'm expecting that. But I don't wanna have to focus too much on that. I'd also prefer the price to be somewhat reasonable. Any suggestions?

jacobolus

14 Apr 2015, 10:49

What are your criteria? How old a typewriter do you want? Do you have aesthetic preferences?

Would you rather type fast and easily, or feel connected to the mechanism at the expense of making typing a pain in the ass? Would you rather have an electric mixer or a whisk? Would you rather have a band saw or a hacksaw? (Either choice is legitimate, but they’re very different experiences.)

bhtooefr

14 Apr 2015, 12:33

What keyswitches do you like right now?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Apr 2015, 16:03

IBM Selectric II and Selectric III are my typewriters of choice. Here's why:

- N key rollover (seriously - it's really neat to have this on a typewriter)
- replaceable font balls
- easy to oil and service - have a look at some YouTube videos
- doubleshot keycaps - spherical (Selectric II) or cylindrical (Selectric III)
- Beam Spring compatible key caps
- readily available
- vast amount of parts, knowledge, and documentation available
- correction ribbon (Correcting Selectric only)
- really fast. It handily keeps up at 100 WPM or so. (Granted mine is out of tune so the key feel is slightly off sometimes. I really just need to oil it.)

It has one feature that I consider quirky and that is the double tap spacebar. Light tap for one space, heavy tap for two spaces. I need to get used to this. Though it would be kind of neat to implement this for a computer keyboard.

I picked up my Correcting Selectric II at Goodwill for $20.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Apr 2015, 16:05

I should add that the key switch type on the Selectric does not slot nicely into one of our usual categories as it is an electromechanical device. Each key is mounted on a long lever arm. When a key is successfully actuated some torque from the motor helps to pull the key down past the make point. It is almost like the key is being pulled out from under you.

The feel is kind of beam spring like (or rather, the beam spring was designed to emulate the Selectric).

bhtooefr

14 Apr 2015, 16:20

It actually isn't pulling the key down, it's knocking an interposer out from under the key lever. That interposer is responsible for most of the key force, though. That's why it feels like the key is falling out from under your finger.

And, it's not NKRO, it's really a 1.5KRO of sorts. (Not quite 2KRO, but not quite the 1KRO of typebar machines where you had to completely release a key before you could depress the next one.) This doesn't actually matter, though, because there's only one modifier, and it doesn't count towards the KRO.

Theoretical maximum speed of a Selectric is 186 WPM, although you'd need perfect cadence to run the machine at that speed. However, unlike typebar machines, the Selectric is far more tolerant of poor cadence as long as a burst of three characters doesn't exceed 186 WPM. But, typebar machines can in some situations tolerate "better than perfect" cadence that is optimized to keep multiple bars in flight, and can exceed 186 WPM with a very, very good typist. (You are not that typist.)

Your "double tap spacebar" is actually you getting into the typamatic repeat when you press hard. There's a few keys that have a second actuation stage - space, hyphen/underscore, backspace, return, index (line feed without carriage return), and correction - accessed by pressing hard past "bottoming out". Other keys are unable to repeat without being pressed again (they're only sensed when the interposer is engaged, and the interposer is forcibly disengaged immediately after being fully engaged, unless it's a typamatic key that can engage it further).

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Apr 2015, 16:34

Thanks for the great info! Always fun to learn new things. If you have any good docs on Selectric repair please pass them along. :-)

I guess what I meant by "NKRO" was "I can hold down and number of keys and type a new key and that new key will register and get put on to the paper".

I was definitely able to out-pace my Selectric II just now by typing "asdf;lkj" repeatedly (left hand then right hand).

A friend has a Remington manual typewriter with type bars. What a neat trick to keep multiple type bars ready and in flight, that's just brilliant. I'd love to see a video of such a very, very good typist typing.

Back to the OP: If you like buckling spring keyboards consider the IBM Wheelwriter, less awesome than the Selectric IMO but also readily available. Waiting for repair I have some old Alps and Cherry key switch keyboard from other typewriters so I know typewriters exist with those key switches.

elecplus

14 Apr 2015, 17:19

IBM Selectric I, II, and III are a PAIN to keep running if anything happens. IBM expected them to be serviced every 6 months, or 10,000 keystrokes! Although they are superb to type on, that comes at the expense of all those springs inside that have to have the correct tension, or nothing works correctly.

Ace
§

14 Apr 2015, 17:40

jacobolus wrote: What are your criteria? How old a typewriter do you want? Do you have aesthetic preferences?

Would you rather type fast and easily, or feel connected to the mechanism at the expense of making typing a pain in the ass? Would you rather have an electric mixer or a whisk? Would you rather have a band saw or a hacksaw? (Either choice is legitimate, but they’re very different experiences.)
I don't much care about age, but if prefer something that isn't too much of a pain to keep running. I would rather type fast and easily. I'd rather have an electric mixer. Not sure what a band or hacksaw is.

I'll read the rest of your replies when I arrive home.

eldorange

14 Apr 2015, 18:04

IBM Selectric typewriter? prepare your pocket for never ending maintenance cost...

Portable manual typewriter...better...just occasional oiling...
Attachments
typewriter.jpg
typewriter.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 26703 times
Last edited by eldorange on 15 Apr 2015, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

bhtooefr

14 Apr 2015, 21:39

For Selectric repair info: http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/ ... selectric/

This Yahoo Group is useful: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gol ... writershop

As is this video series (I actually had gotten partway through uploading it, but someone did a better job and actually finished it, it looks like): http://brumtypia.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

As far as using an electric mixer and wanting to type fast, OK, you've got three options here. (I'm not counting the exotic stuff.)

The first option is electric typebar machines. With proper cadence, you can type very, very fast - the world record typing speed was set in 1946 on an IBM electric, at 216 WPM. (Sean Wrona's only done 163 WPM, AFAIK). With improper cadence, you will be unjamming typebars. These are what you'll probably find at thrift stores.

The second option is typeball machines. Stick with Selectrics, not the clones. These are a bit maintenance-hungry, but there's still shops that specialize in them, and they're fantastic to type on. They're still fully mechanical devices.

The third option is daisywheel machines. These are a keyboard, a microcontroller, and a printer. One of the best of them is the IBM/Lexmark Wheelwriter. The keyboard is a Model M (it's not like a Model M, it is a Model M). You are not directly actuating the print mechanism, you're just telling a computer what to print, though. All sorts of switches have been found on daisywheel typewriters, for what it's worth, from buckling spring to rubber dome and everything in between. Many of these also have limited word processing capabilities (and some are just straight-up word processors sold as typewriters, I'm looking at you, Wheelwriter 3500). If you're a fast typist, these will actually lag behind your typing a fair bit especially if it has to rotate the wheel to the other side (the Selectric has a defined time for each character set by the shaft RPM, and it can swing the typeball fully around to the opposite side, strike, and return it for each character printed at full speed), but they'll catch up during slow typing.

Ace
§

14 Apr 2015, 22:43

bhtooefr wrote: What keyswitches do you like right now?
Beam Spring (the one that I tried), Capacitive as well as membrane Buckling Springs, and Topre.

Mal-2

15 Apr 2015, 01:37

bhtooefr wrote: The third option is daisywheel machines. These are a keyboard, a microcontroller, and a printer. One of the best of them is the IBM/Lexmark Wheelwriter. The keyboard is a Model M (it's not like a Model M, it is a Model M). You are not directly actuating the print mechanism, you're just telling a computer what to print, though. All sorts of switches have been found on daisywheel typewriters, for what it's worth, from buckling spring to rubber dome and everything in between. Many of these also have limited word processing capabilities (and some are just straight-up word processors sold as typewriters, I'm looking at you, Wheelwriter 3500). If you're a fast typist, these will actually lag behind your typing a fair bit especially if it has to rotate the wheel to the other side (the Selectric has a defined time for each character set by the shaft RPM, and it can swing the typeball fully around to the opposite side, strike, and return it for each character printed at full speed), but they'll catch up during slow typing.
Daisywheels are also swappable so you can change typefaces, just as you would with a Selectric. The down side is that I have yet to see a daisywheel with a window that shows you exactly where the type bar will hit the page, making it difficult to fill out forms (one of the most useful things I can think of for a typewriter these days). That doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen them. Also, they generally don't have a knob to manually advance or retreat the paper, either. If there is something out there that has both of these things, it would be a viable alternative to a Selectric, without the high maintenance overhead.

Sometimes the actual wheels are completely plastic, but I was never able to wear one out when a daisywheel printer was all I had (and used daily). If there was a mechanical problem (usually paper-related or something falling into the printer), then wheels could and did break.

bhtooefr

15 Apr 2015, 03:37

Wheelwriter wheels apparently have a pointer that points directly at where the typebar will print. However, they're electronic platen (but have dedicated keys for advancing and retreating the paper, so...)

Ace
§

15 Apr 2015, 05:13

So after reading all of your replies...................I'm honestly very confused. But here's what I got form what you all said: Get a Selectric and learn how to maintain it. Which leads me to ask you if you would be generous enough to find me a decent Selectric at a decent price? There are many, MANY options on Ebay. I want something that's on the smaller side (for portability) and on the cheaper side (for my pocket).

I also noticed a collection of older typewriters on this Ebay collection: http://www.ebay.com/cln/ebaytreasuresed ... 5209923017

Are any of these better suited to my needs?

elecplus

15 Apr 2015, 05:19

Brother makes a typewriter that uses a wheel, has indicators on the clear mask for exactly where the type will land, and has side knob for advancing paper. Not expensive, easy to type on, easy maintenance, and a wide range of fonts.

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2015, 05:19

+1 Selectric. If they feel like beamsprings, you need one! And the caps are magnificent.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

15 Apr 2015, 05:51

I wouldn't call myself a typewriter enthusiast but I have a couple of them around. I think the Smith Corona Memory Correct 300 is a nice machine. The key caps are very nice and the whole machine is very solid. I also have a newer Sharp or Brother (can't remember) it feels about like your typical laptop.

jacobolus

15 Apr 2015, 08:46

elecplus wrote: Brother [typewriters are] not expensive, easy to type on, easy maintenance, and a wide range of fonts.
All the Brother typewriters I ever tried were a pretty uninspiring typing experience though.

Ace
§

15 Apr 2015, 08:49

Muirium wrote: +1 Selectric. If they feel like beamsprings, you need one! And the caps are magnificent.
I feel like a fool, for Cindy's suggestion is far more realistic, but I think this is the way I'll go. I just need to find a small(ish) one at a decent price...................................

bhtooefr

15 Apr 2015, 12:01

As I understand, the Selectric I and II (and Personal Selectric, which is AFAIK an 11", single pitch Correcting Selectric II that uses Selectric III ribbons) are the more reliable machines, although nowadays, condition probably matters more. (What I've read is that the Selectric III having 96 characters means that the print mechanism's tolerances are a lot tighter.)

Also, if you go Selectric I/II, you really want a dual pitch Correcting Selectric II (that's the most common config, though). Dual pitch means you can use all of the type balls. Good luck finding an 11" in that configuration (I'm not even sure it actually existed, but the Personal Selectric in 11" correcting in single-pitch did), though, most of them I've seen have been 13" or 15", mine included. (How you can tell how big a Selectric is in a photo: 11", the part of the cover opening closest to the keyboard is narrower than the keyboard; 13", it's about the same width; 15", it's wider.) My holy grail is still a 12 pitch (smaller font) correspondence coded (using office typeballs) Selectric 731 (73x = Selectric I I/O (although it looks like a II), xx1 = 11").

Another thing to watch for with Selectrics is the ribbon types:
  • 71x (original Selectric I) uses an old-school spooled ribbon (usually in carbon film). You can still get these.
  • 72x (another Sel I configuration you could order) uses fabric ribbon cartridges. I want to say that these are the hardest to get, but you can still get them. Print quality is also worse with fabric ribbons.
  • 84x/88x Selectric IIs used the same fabric ribbon as the 72x
  • 83x/87x Selectric IIs and 85x/89x Correcting Selectric IIs (except for the 851 Personal Selectric, see Selectric III for that) used Selective Ribbon System, and you want Selective Ribbon System, you can still buy SRS ribbons in any office store today even
  • There was a 96-character Selectric Typewriter in the 9xx line, 94x/92x use the 72x fabric ribbon, 96x/91x and 95x/99x (Correcting) use SRS I believe - I think this was an exceedingly rare Selectric III in the Selectric II style, basically, and now I know what a picture I saw was. I'm going to go ahead and say that you're not going to find one in the US, and it was probably made for a very short time to provide a solution for international characters before the Selectric III was ready.
  • The Selectric III could come in the 72x's fabric ribbon system (6701), the Selectric II's Selective Ribbon System (but I think that's exceedingly rare), or its own Cartridge Ribbon system. I believe production date determines that, not model number (except for the fabric ribbon system, which had its own model number). The Personal Selectric 851 used Cartridge Ribbon system.
You may note that I'm leaving a few models off that list - things like the 73x, all the terminals based on the 73x, the Mag Tape and Mag Card machines, the Composers, the Memory Machines, the Electronic Typewriters, etc., etc. - and I've done that for two reasons. #1, they used ribbons from all over the place, and #2, you really don't want anything based on an I/O mechanism unless you really, really know what you're doing (and they're typically exceedingly rare anyway). And the Electronic Typewriters have a reputation for being incredibly unreliable, and are probably the reason why the Wheelwriter exists (IBM tried to adapt the Selectric design to do what the cheap Japanese daisywheel machines were doing, first with the Memory machines (which were just a computer strapped to a Selectric I/O mech), and then divorcing the keyboard from the printer with the Electronic Typewriters. It didn't work well at all.)

Mine, while we're at it:
2012-12-06_06-12-10_889.jpg
2012-12-06_06-12-10_889.jpg (442.42 KiB) Viewed 21823 times
(It was originally beige, but when I sent it to this guy for an overhaul, he included painting for free, so I figured I might as well.)

If you want to go daisywheel, I'd say to at least go for something with good switches. Brother loves their rubber domes. AFAIK, everything daisywheel that IBM/Lexmark made was membrane buckling spring (and based on release dates, the original Model Ms were likely the original Wheelwriter 3, Wheelwriter 5, and Quietwriter 7 (Quietwriters were, IIRC, thermal transfer printers instead of daisywheel), several months before the first known standalone Model Ms). That means Wheelwriter and Actionwriter (the Actionwriter began as a TA Adler-Royal machine, but IBM customized it to an extreme extent). There's plenty of other mechanical (albeit typically linear) switches found in other manufacturers' typewriters, though.

As an aside, know how the Model M2 was sold as the "Selectric Touch Keyboard", and how we all think that's bullshit, it must have been some marketer that had never actually used a Selectric that came up with that? Well, IBM was trying to ride the Selectric name with the Series I Wheelwriters and Quietwriters, and sold them as "SELECTRIC System/2000". So, there were Selectrics that felt like membrane buckling spring keyboards, because they were membrane buckling spring keyboards!

Edited to replace image with attached copy instead of one hotlinked from Google, and to fix a typo.
Last edited by bhtooefr on 06 Jun 2020, 21:40, edited 2 times in total.

bhtooefr

15 Apr 2015, 13:37

By the way, here, have a video about Ron Mingo:
He's been clocked at 160 WPM on a manual.

He's almost certainly keeping multiple bars in flight, and a manual is harder to keep at high speed because all of that happens at the rate the keys are depressed (and the force of depression determines the force of impression), whereas an electric sends the bars at full speed and appropriate force automatically.

eldorange

15 Apr 2015, 18:17

typewriter...
Attachments
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy1.jpg
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy1.jpg (66.62 KiB) Viewed 26559 times
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.jpg
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 26559 times

Mal-2

16 Apr 2015, 06:08

eldorange wrote: typewriter...
I know how Jack feels. (I say that now, 90 pages into the third book of a series... but stuck for inspiration again.)

To me, typewriters still have a place filling out forms. They also have their place where carbon copies are required, though daisywheels work just fine there as well. (24-pin? Meh.)

Otherwise, I will happily sacrifice the tactility and clackiness of a typewriter to have a device on which I can correct my errors and change my mind at will, move things around, change a word here and there long after it's originally written, etc. I could function with a 1980s word processor and a daisywheel printer. I could not do what I do with anything much older than that. (That's as far as writing goes. Music requires 1990s technology.)

Ace
§

16 Apr 2015, 06:37

bhtooefr wrote: As I understand, the Selectric I and II (and Personal Selectric, which is AFAIK an 11", single pitch Correcting Selectric II that uses Selectric III ribbons) are the more reliable machines, although nowadays, condition probably matters more. (What I've read is that the Selectric III having 96 characters means that the print mechanism's tolerances are a lot tighter.)

Also, if you go Selectric I/II, you really want a dual pitch Correcting Selectric II (that's the most common config, though). Dual pitch means you can use all of the type balls. Good luck finding an 11" in that configuration (I'm not even sure it actually existed, but the Personal Selectric in 11" correcting in single-pitch did), though, most of them I've seen have been 13" or 15", mine included. (How you can tell how big a Selectric is in a photo: 11", the part of the cover opening closest to the keyboard is narrower than the keyboard; 13", it's about the same width; 15", it's wider.) My holy grail is still a 12 pitch (smaller font) correspondence coded (using office typeballs) Selectric 731 (73x = Selectric I I/O (although it looks like a II), xx1 = 11").

Another thing to watch for with Selectrics is the ribbon types:
  • 71x (original Selectric I) uses an old-school spooled ribbon (usually in carbon film). You can still get these.
  • 72x (another Sel I configuration you could order) uses fabric ribbon cartridges. I want to say that these are the hardest to get, but you can still get them. Print quality is also worse with fabric ribbons.
  • 84x/88x Selectric IIs used the same fabric ribbon as the 72x
  • 83x/87x Selectric IIs and 85x/89x Correcting Selectric IIs (except for the 851 Personal Selectric, see Selectric III for taht) used Selective Ribbon System, and you want Selective Ribbon System, you can still buy SRS ribbons in any office store today even
  • There was a 96-character Selectric Typewriter in the 9xx line, 94x/92x use the 72x fabric ribbon, 96x/91x and 95x/99x (Correcting) use SRS I believe - I think this was an exceedingly rare Selectric III in the Selectric II style, basically, and now I know what a picture I saw was. I'm going to go ahead and say that you're not going to find one in the US, and it was probably made for a very short time to provide a solution for international characters before the Selectric III was ready.
  • The Selectric III could come in the 72x's fabric ribbon system (6701), the Selectric II's Selective Ribbon System (but I think that's exceedingly rare), or its own Cartridge Ribbon system. I believe production date determines that, not model number (except for the fabric ribbon system, which had its own model number). The Personal Selectric 851 used Cartridge Ribbon system.
You may note that I'm leaving a few models off that list - things like the 73x, all the terminals based on the 73x, the Mag Tape and Mag Card machines, the Composers, the Memory Machines, the Electronic Typewriters, etc., etc. - and I've done that for two reasons. #1, they used ribbons from all over the place, and #2, you really don't want anything based on an I/O mechanism unless you really, really know what you're doing (and they're typically exceedingly rare anyway). And the Electronic Typewriters have a reputation for being incredibly unreliable, and are probably the reason why the Wheelwriter exists (IBM tried to adapt the Selectric design to do what the cheap Japanese daisywheel machines were doing, first with the Memory machines (which were just a computer strapped to a Selectric I/O mech), and then divorcing the keyboard from the printer with the Electronic Typewriters. It didn't work well at all.)

Mine, while we're at it:

(It was originally beige, but when I sent it to this guy for an overhaul, he included painting for free, so I figured I might as well.)

If you want to go daisywheel, I'd say to at least go for something with good switches. Brother loves their rubber domes. AFAIK, everything daisywheel that IBM/Lexmark made was membrane buckling spring (and based on release dates, the original Model Ms were likely the original Wheelwriter 3, Wheelwriter 5, and Quietwriter 7 (Quietwriters were, IIRC, thermal transfer printers instead of daisywheel), several months before the first known standalone Model Ms). That means Wheelwriter and Actionwriter (the Actionwriter began as a TA Adler-Royal machine, but IBM customized it to an extreme extent). There's plenty of other mechanical (albeit typically linear) switches found in other manufacturers' typewriters, though.

As an aside, know how the Model M2 was sold as the "Selectric Touch Keyboard", and how we all think that's bullshit, it must have been some marketer that had never actually used a Selectric that came up with that? Well, IBM was trying to ride the Selectric name with the Series I Wheelwriters and Quietwriters, and sold them as "SELECTRIC System/2000". So, there were Selectrics that felt like membrane buckling spring keyboards, because they were membrane buckling spring keyboards!
Well, that basically wraps this thread up. :D
Seriously. You just gave me all the information I could want. Just one question though: What's a reasonable value for on of these in good condition?

jacobolus

16 Apr 2015, 07:18

Selectric II are the one with the best keycaps. Selectric I are all uniform, and Selectric III are cylindrical caps (bleh).

bhtooefr

16 Apr 2015, 12:17

Ace wrote: Well, that basically wraps this thread up. :D
Seriously. You just gave me all the information I could want. Just one question though: What's a reasonable value for on of these in good condition?
$50 on the low-end (but often a $50 one will need maintenance), $300 on the high-end for perfect condition and just been overhauled, IMO (considering the cost of an overhaul).

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 May 2015, 14:20

Ace wrote: Hello all. I've been looking for a type writer that can be practically used a in a modern environment. The goal is to have some place to type things such as essays and random thoughts without being distracted. Plus, being a keyboard enthusiast, I'll enjoy a wonderful typing experience. Plus they're just "kinda cool". 8-)

Any suggestions as to something I could buy that wouldn't be too difficult to maintain? Obviously some maintenance will be necessary. I'm expecting that. But I don't wanna have to focus too much on that. I'd also prefer the price to be somewhat reasonable. Any suggestions?
Maybe you should consider this: http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

I got into typewriters for the same reason as you, looking to type without being distracted and all that jazz. They also are a very tactile typing experience.

I discovered, however, that the problem is not the device, it's my ability to focus and concentrate. Typewriters certainly have less distractions than the modern computer, but the belief that the machine would solve my issues with concentration was a false belief. I only keep a couple around for typing letters and the occasional poem.

In terms of ease of maintenance, I recommend a manual typewriter. No electronics or motors to deal with. In working condition, prices are better than Selectrics.

Ace
§

09 May 2015, 08:42

prdlm2009 wrote:
Ace wrote: Hello all. I've been looking for a type writer that can be practically used a in a modern environment. The goal is to have some place to type things such as essays and random thoughts without being distracted. Plus, being a keyboard enthusiast, I'll enjoy a wonderful typing experience. Plus they're just "kinda cool". 8-)

Maybe you should consider this: http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

I got into typewriters for the same reason as you, looking to type without being distracted and all that jazz. They also are a very tactile typing experience.

I discovered, however, that the problem is not the device, it's my ability to focus and concentrate. Typewriters certainly have less distractions than the modern computer, but the belief that the machine would solve my issues with concentration was a false belief. I only keep a couple around for typing letters and the occasional poem.

In terms of ease of maintenance, I recommend a manual typewriter. No electronics or motors to deal with. In working condition, prices are better than Selectrics.
Thanks for the tip. That site, while actually being a complete hinderance to my end goal, is amazing! I'm checking it out right now.............

You're the first to recommend a manual. How are they to use? Is it an absolute pain or relatively simple and straight forward?

Mal-2

09 May 2015, 13:31

Ace wrote: You're the first to recommend a manual. How are they to use? Is it an absolute pain or relatively simple and straight forward?
Both. They do exactly what you expect, every time (unless they're broken), but all of the force used to operate anything comes directly from you. You have to bottom out every key (except Space), and fairly hard. You have to move the carriage back to the start of each line. You also have to get used to letting go of the keys once you do bottom them out, lest the type bar hold the ribbon to the paper as the carriage advances, leaving a streak. This established the habit of stabbing keys, and with quite a lot of force, which it took me years to completely get rid of.

Manual typewriters are highly reliable when in good condition, but they're still unpleasant to use by modern standards. I learned to type on a manual, and I was so glad to graduate up to an electric.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”