CH Products Trackball Pro - vintage unit

ShivaYash

27 Sep 2015, 16:01

Hello,

Following the epic failure of my group buy for this product, I managed to get hold of a vintage example. It arrived today and I have a few questions. It is in fairly used condition, but the plastic is akin to that of a model M. What is the best method of removing ballpoint ink from this plastic?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a manual from? Its a very old example with eight dip switches on the rear. I got it from Europe, but I suspect it was imported from the USA.

chzel

27 Sep 2015, 16:31

I have used with good success one of those "magic sponge" type of products.
It's a bit abrasive but cleans nicely. Don't use if the finish is glossy!

davkol

27 Sep 2015, 17:49

Wouldn't the Ripster's DT225 Serial|PS/2 manual apply?

HAL

27 Sep 2015, 18:12

ShivaYash wrote: It is in fairly used condition, but the plastic is akin to that of a model M. What is the best method of removing ballpoint ink from this plastic?
I always use warm water a tooth brush and some dish washing detergent. In heavy cases I recomend the dirt eraser which is a very fine sponge. See my post (scroll down) http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/model ... t7862.html

GuilleAcoustic

27 Sep 2015, 19:15

I do have a Trackball PRO, new with manual and driver's floppy disk. I'll scan it at work on monday and link it here. I do have the Busmouse version of it, which one is yours ? http://deskthority.net/other-devices-f3 ... t9874.html

ShivaYash

27 Sep 2015, 19:39

GuilleAcoustic wrote:I do have a Trackball PRO, new with manual and driver's floppy disk. I'll scan it at work on monday and link it here. I do have the Busmouse version of it, which one is yours ? http://deskthority.net/other-devices-f3 ... t9874.html
Thanks so much. I have the ps/2 version. Is this what you mean? It has 8 dip switches on the rear and the logo is the same as the usb mod link above.

ShivaYash

27 Sep 2015, 21:10

Hello, I carefully used a little CIF, a micro particle product here in the UK, with an old child's toothbrush... no longer in use. Its come up a treat... a few little ink marks remain but I was careful not to over clean. Photos to follow. Does anyone have a private.xml file for Karabiner that gives this excellent device scroll lock? If not, I'll message the developer about the one or two lines of code needed for this.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Sep 2015, 21:13

chzel wrote: I have used with good success one of those "magic sponge" type of products.
It's a bit abrasive but cleans nicely. Don't use if the finish is glossy!
+1. This is also known as a melamine foam pad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

ShivaYash

28 Sep 2015, 00:37

Only been using the CH Products trackball for about 30 mins this evening but already, compared to the Qtronix I reviewed some months back here: http://deskthority.net/other-devices-f3 ... 11012.html- it is worlds apart... the Qtronix feels like a toy now, and having a weighted ball is just so nice. The tracking is actually more comfortable. Once I get scroll-lock sorted, thinks will be perfect. Good night.

ShivaYash

28 Sep 2015, 13:37

What there any solutions to make the scrolling of an old trackball smoother? Mine is a little jerky at times. I've cleaned the ball, actaully with a mild cutting compound and its come up like new, which has helped a little.

GuilleAcoustic

28 Sep 2015, 13:46

ShivaYash wrote: What there any solutions to make the scrolling of an old trackball smoother? Mine is a little jerky at times. I've cleaned the ball, actaully with a mild cutting compound and its come up like new, which has helped a little.
I cleaned the ball and rollers with a microfiber cloth pad. Spraying WD40 and then silicon lubes niside the bearing also helped a lot. My Trackball pro was new and never used, but it was still 20+ years old.

I'm off work today, sick child, I'll scan the manual tomorrow :)

ShivaYash

28 Sep 2015, 21:13

Many thanks @GuilleAcoustic, I hope the bambino gets better soon.

I have a line of code from the creator of Karabiner, if you and others are interested in a scroll lock function.
I have the well worn large left click as the usual main click option. The upper left is annoying a mouse drag key, which I have no use for. The upper right key is my scroll lock, thanks to Mr Fumihiko. And the large right button is my usual right click.

The trackball is just brilliant, and I'm going to lube the rollers as you suggested, after I have cleaned them with WD40 .

I hope I can make the functionality even better with the dip switches, or at least, understanding what they do.

With best,

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 Sep 2015, 21:48

GuilleAcoustic wrote: I'm off work today, sick child
I know how this is. Good luck.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Sep 2015, 22:14

I love my DT-225's, but they are sooo slow as far a sensitivity goes.

Currently working with a fellow redditor to get some vintage trackball pro's.

ShivaYash

28 Sep 2015, 22:16

Redmaus wrote: I love my DT-225's, but they are sooo slow as far a sensitivity goes.

Currently working with a fellow redditor to get some vintage trackball pro's.
I've speeded my Trackball Pro up via this little app. MouseZoom for the Mac. Free and perfect.
http://benh57.com/mousezoom.html

ShivaYash

29 Sep 2015, 00:32

After using the CHPTBP for a day now, it has definitely settled in, I think my example was unused for some time... can someone please tell me where to apply the silicon lube? I don't want to get it on the trackball for obvious reasons. Thanks very much! Yes... funny, writing late at night about a trackball and lube.

GuilleAcoustic

29 Sep 2015, 01:05

My daughter is feeling better, thanks for asking About the WD40 and lube, I just layed the bearnig bown on absorbant paper and generously sprayed them. Then I cleaned the outside with another piece of absorbant.

At the moment, I have both left and right top buttons acting as middle click (also acts as 2D-scroll on most softwares).

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

29 Sep 2015, 01:41

ShivaYash wrote:
I've speeded my Trackball Pro up via this little app. MouseZoom for the Mac. Free and perfect.
http://benh57.com/mousezoom.html
I use windows :(

GuilleAcoustic

29 Sep 2015, 02:35

No speed nor sensitivity issue with my Trackball Pro on my new 2560x1440 monitor. I even play Path of Exile a lot with no issue.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

29 Sep 2015, 04:10

Well you set the sensitivity yourself when you converted it right?

GuilleAcoustic

29 Sep 2015, 09:11

Redmaus wrote: Well you set the sensitivity yourself when you converted it right?
Not really, the sensitivity is fixed by the encoder CPR. Then you can play with the DIP switches to set the quadrature decoding mode: 1X, 2X or 4X (respectively 100, 200 or 400 CPR).

In my case, I just added a raw to USB HID conversion layer, over the small processing done on the PIC side (axis reverse, 90 degrees rotation, click lock, etc.). The line that changes everything is the delayed USB data sending, I update the status every 10 milliseconds (100 times per second). Without it or with more frequent updates, the speed is slower. I suspect that the serial output is not interruptible and we are missing encoders event, resulting in slower motion.

ShivaYash

07 Oct 2015, 14:38

GuilleAcoustic wrote: My daughter is feeling better, thanks for asking About the WD40 and lube, I just layed the bearnig bown on absorbant paper and generously sprayed them. Then I cleaned the outside with another piece of absorbant.

At the moment, I have both left and right top buttons acting as middle click (also acts as 2D-scroll on most softwares).
How are you doing this? When I spoke to the developer of KARABINER, he said as the lower buttons are the same as the upper, his program could not differentiate between them. I'm using a Mac.

ShivaYash

07 Oct 2015, 14:39

GuilleAcoustic wrote:
ShivaYash wrote: What there any solutions to make the scrolling of an old trackball smoother? Mine is a little jerky at times. I've cleaned the ball, actaully with a mild cutting compound and its come up like new, which has helped a little.
I cleaned the ball and rollers with a microfiber cloth pad. Spraying WD40 and then silicon lubes niside the bearing also helped a lot. My Trackball pro was new and never used, but it was still 20+ years old.

I'm off work today, sick child, I'll scan the manual tomorrow :)
Any news on this manual please? :D

GuilleAcoustic

07 Oct 2015, 16:32

ShivaYash wrote: Any news on this manual please? :D
I'm off work for a month due to health problems. Sadly I won't have access to a scanner before then, sorry :cry:

ShivaYash

07 Oct 2015, 18:11

Very sorry to hear this. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”