WTF IntelliMouse Optical?

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Nov 2012, 23:16

OK, brand new Windows 8 PC, virtually nothing installed yet. Still seeing the IntelliMouse bugs (random wheel notch events, cursor jump on random mouseup and mousedown events).

I think that confirms that it's not me! It's just a completely rubbish mouse (IntelliMouse Optical 1.1).

(Funnily enough, my new PC gives me the old "Keyboard not found! Press F2 to continue" message on boot. Not verbatim, but, yes, WTF? Nothing the matter with my keyboard.)

guilleguillaume

27 Nov 2012, 23:50

I've never encountered this problems with my IMO 1.1 so I understand yours could be a faulty one.

I'm actually using my new Logitech Mini Optical and I couldn't be happier: Light, Small, Omron switches...

PD: Yes, I'm still using 400dpi in 2012.

vun

27 Nov 2012, 23:57

guilleguillaume wrote:I've never encountered this problems with my IMO 1.1 so I understand yours could be a faulty one.

I'm actually using my new Logitech Mini Optical and I couldn't be happier: Light, Small, Omron switches...

PD: Yes, I'm still using 400dpi in 2012.
From what I've seen nearly every mouse on the market has omron switches, although some are better than others. Ones made in China are bad, ones made in Japan(I think) are good.

Also, 400dpi isn't that much of a problem, I often break out the IME 3.0 and the dpi isn't all that much of an issue even with dual monitors.

Pby

28 Nov 2012, 08:07

Definitely don't think Japanese omron switches are superior to the Chinese ones. If you ever popped them open you'll find they're identical on the inside, it's not like they're made of a different material or have an improved design. They all fail one way or the other when the metal contact inside gives away. It is false economy if you have to pay more for the jap made ones.
Hell, people can't even tell when razer started using TTC switches which is regarded as inferior to the omrons.

Daniel Beardsmore

28 Nov 2012, 09:18

Would have to be a whole bad batch, as I have another one from the same pack with identical behaviour.

It's not the switches, though, it's a logic bug. Pressing or releasing a button randomly moves the cursor, often in a continuation of the last moved direction.

I've seen different wheel bugs in MS mice -- they just don't work properly. Dell mice however never give any trouble, but I like the button placement on the IMO.

vun

28 Nov 2012, 13:56

Pby wrote:Definitely don't think Japanese omron switches are superior to the Chinese ones. If you ever popped them open you'll find they're identical on the inside, it's not like they're made of a different material or have an improved design. They all fail one way or the other when the metal contact inside gives away. It is false economy if you have to pay more for the jap made ones.
Hell, people can't even tell when razer started using TTC switches which is regarded as inferior to the omrons.
Referring to this post.

Daniel Beardsmore

28 Nov 2012, 14:15

Looks like wiki material… ;-)

Pby

29 Nov 2012, 00:30

vun wrote:
Pby wrote:Definitely don't think Japanese omron switches are superior to the Chinese ones. If you ever popped them open you'll find they're identical on the inside, it's not like they're made of a different material or have an improved design. They all fail one way or the other when the metal contact inside gives away. It is false economy if you have to pay more for the jap made ones.
Referring to this post.
Pretty sure the D2F-F is identical to the D2FC-F-7N. D2F-01F is not the jap counter part of the D2FC-F-7N.

Daniel Beardsmore

14 May 2014, 15:12

I've just connected a discarded "white"¹ IMO to my PC (looking at the part number I'm assuming it's a 1.1 the same as mine).

The cursor jump bug is still there. It's definitely not my batch that's faulty.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”