Contour Rollermouse Free 2 on its' way...

urbancamo

31 Jul 2014, 21:19

OK, so my penchant for wide keyboards (LK201/LK401 variants) has caused me to question how I am to operate a mouse without having to stretch my right arm. I'm currently using a mouse on the left, which is much better, but not ideal. Although I'm left handed I prefer the mouse/trackball on the right generally as I can Control-key my way through source code as required (you know the old adage when programming in C - if a line doesn't compile, comment it out - it's probably not needed). I apply this to most programming languages I use with varying degrees of success. I can operate a mouse left-handed, but for some reason all motor control goes out of the window trying to operate the trackball. Bizarre!

My daily driver till recently for work is a HHK2 + Kensington Expert Mouse - very highly recommended combination for keeping your arms in a neutral position, as is an ergonomic chair with decent arm wrests so that you can keep your elbows pirched on the arm rests to avoid having wrists on the desk. Now I've found the joys of this Wyse vintage cherry blacks LK401-compatible keyboard I'm having a hard time going back to the HHK2 - I just love it so God-damn much!

So, back on track, I found a rollermouse being advertised on ebay.co.uk for £40: 'Contour RollerMouse Free2 Black incl. Logitech K360' - obviously the offer of effectively what amounts to a free keyboard was to good not to take up.

I'm not sure how well I'll get on with it but it certainly solves the over-reach issues if I can make it work. If not I'm hoping that I can relist it without too much trouble - it wasn't particularly well listed without a picture (I insisted on that because some people's ideas of 'nearly new' are wholy inaccurate!)

I'll report back when I've had a chance to settle in.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Jul 2014, 22:15

Congratulations!
I've been using a RollerMouse Pro for a long time now - it is just fantastic.
You don't have to stretch your arm to reach for a mouse, you just use your thumbs.
I'm sure you'll love it.

7bit

31 Jul 2014, 22:18

£40
:shock:

How many are left at this price?
:?

If you want to get rid of it, I pay £40 plus shipping.
:-)

urbancamo

31 Jul 2014, 22:57

I'll bear that in mind if (a) it turns up and (b) it works and (c) I can't get on with it :)

urbancamo

02 Aug 2014, 22:27

OK so amazingly it turned up this morning! However, no additional keyboard, not sure what happened - I think this is a case of internet noob. The rollermouse works just fine apart from the left-click action on the roller itself - if I hold the unit upside down I can hear the microswitch clicking so I think it is a case of a broken spring. Without taking it apart I can't tell.

It needed a clean, it's clearly been well used, but it's come up just fine. Not using the wrist rest currently - I think the previous owner didn't either becaue that looks unused. The rollerbar is just silky smooth in action! However, that aside it seems to be working just fine and I have to say that only after an hour or so it is becoming second nature. I can see that the extra two buttons for Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V are going to be a really nice feature.

It is working with a Dell 28" running at 2560x1440 and the default speed setting seems to work just fine - I rarely find myself hitting the left or right 'give me a little extra room' switches.

I can see it is likely to be a long and happy friendship!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Aug 2014, 00:26

Rollermice are fine machines and I used to have a couple. I got rid of mine once I committed to ergo keyboards, but now I'm back to using flat keyboards. So I probably will pick up the latest model, the Red, and see how I like it.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”