What mouse/trackball do you use with your ergo KBD?

flopix

29 Aug 2014, 14:20

Hi all,

I'll be getting an ergodox hopefully in the next month or so and I was wondering what mouse or trackball should I get. My current setup is 2 screens, normal keyboard + mouse. I saw some custom builds with trackballs in the middle.. Is this the way to go?

Of course, pics help for inspiration :)

Cheers,

Max

30 Aug 2014, 01:35

I think that going with a trackball is the way to go otherwise your mouse arm might be over extended a bit. But as for some options away from the norm, I think a track-pad/joystick could also work out really nicely.

There are a few trackballs that a lot of people seem to like, the two on the top of my head are; the Kensington expert mouse and the Kensington slimblade. Those I just listed are also ambidextrous trackballs so you could alternate hands with the trackball pretty easily.

A trackpad with a ergo dox has been done before by rambunctious. I'm not sure how well it worked but here's a picture:
XFC6KY4-crop.jpg
XFC6KY4-crop.jpg (978.48 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
So as far as trackpads go I think the best is the magic trackpad that you see in the picture. You have to do a bit of leg work to get it to work with windows though, here's a link to a guide for getting it to work with windows:
http://www.labnol.org/software/apple-ma ... ows/14158/

A joystick would definitely be unique. I don't think anyone has ever gone with an all-out flight-sim type joystick with an ergo dox before. As for which joysticks are good I really don't know.

davkol

30 Aug 2014, 15:39

I rotate several setups:
  • trackball on the left (Logitech TrackMan Marble or Kensington SlimBlade), keyboard angled in the middle, mouse on the right (Roccat Savu)
  • mouse on the left (Roccat Lua), keyboard angled in the middle, trackball on the right (same as above)
  • keyboard split and angled, trackball diagonally in the middle (Kensington SlimBlade)

verbietet

30 Aug 2014, 20:42

I am in the same situation and thinking about a track pad solution. It looks neat and probably will save a a lot of desk space.

However, I linux mostly. I'm not sure how well the track pad works on it.

flopix

13 Sep 2014, 22:53

I'll be trying a trackball in the middle setup for starters. It's been years since I used last one but I'll post updates when both my dox and ball arrive. I wish someone would build a complete setup wit the dox we could use as reference.

nisilhum

03 Oct 2014, 14:15

MIcrosoft Natural used like rollermouse interesting

Return to “Mice & other input devices”