20140907_194038~01.jpg
20140907_194038~01.jpg (219.04 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
AM, AM-FG Mix
Remove click resistense from the weel
Right side button in the front is a double from the DPI Button underneath
Remove plastic and save coating from the cable, sleeved it w Paracord

cookie

08 Sep 2014, 14:14

I'd love to see the thumb buttons become red colored!
All in all a verry nice and clean result, I like it!

I am not sure about the DPI switch on the thumb buttons, I got used to them as previous/next for browsing.

CeeSA

08 Sep 2014, 15:26

The left thumb buttons are unchanged. For me as a righthanded I use them for Backspace and Enter.
After you config the active side for the mouse, the opposite side buttons are inaktiv. And so I use the right thumb button for dpi switching, pressing it with my ringfinger. Way better instead of lifting the mouse to press the original dpi switcher.
I use it ingame for BFBC2 (Tank etc.).

cookie

09 Sep 2014, 10:25

Ahh okay, that makes sense to me now! Actually BF is the only game where switching dpi makes sense to me :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Oct 2014, 20:17

very nice mod,I was considdering the Zowie AM for a while.I might still get one.What´s the build quality of the Zowie AM like CeeSA?

J888www

02 Nov 2014, 22:27

With due consideration to wireless technology advancement over the years, why does the manufacturers still tie up all these mice or make them so tiny that its unusable.

I've been looking for a full size mouse with this simplistic design for what seems like eons, 3 button mouse will be even more suitable.

I only have simple needs..................

cookie

03 Nov 2014, 00:48

Demands on a gaming mouse are quite different than those for "simple needs".
The main problem with wireless mice is weight, me for example like verry light mice and two AA batteries are just too much for my taste.

Also the never ending discussion about latency is something to keep in mind, but I think that the new Logitech g602 is very promising! This is by far the best wireless mouse you can get for your money, performance wise... but it looks utterly stupid and ugly :/

Before I'd commit myself fully to wireless devices, I'd need a wireless HHKB :)
But I think this will not happen so fast :(

CeeSA

03 Nov 2014, 14:41

@ seebart

I think the build quality of Zowie is not without controversy. Users have problems with the mouse wheel.
Especially with the FK1. I think it is because of the maybe not optimal separation between feedback click and optical registration of the wheel.

I own FK 2013, AM and AM-FG. Mouse wheel was without this fault.
Overall I did not like the wheel of my Zowie's. Feels as if cotton wool would be between.

Not to forgot other issues some users reported (I also did not have):
- coating issues
- shell issues
- scratching shell because of the low mouse feed

Something good Imo:
- small one piece PCB (which seem to be interchangeable with other Zowie mice more or less)
- minimal shell design
- huano switches (for me better than omrons)
- cable (very good non textile highly flexible cable, maybe the best)

But it is surprising, perhaps, that I would not say the quality of other manufacturers is better.
It is more so, that I am in all very disappointed by the quality of the manufacturer for mice.

Last sentence: I would buy a Zowie mice again

cookie

03 Nov 2014, 15:40

As far as I know the EC1 is the only mouse wich comes close to the IE3! I am currently stocking some IE3 so that I have replacements in the future but i'd also like to try out the EC1.

Unfortunately I also heared that the zowies have problems with their mousewheels... not that the wheel on the IE3 is superior... it is actually verry weak and inprecise but this is something you have to live with I think.

rindorbrot

03 Nov 2014, 15:44

I have a FK 2014 at the moment and before that I used a AM-GS.
On the FK the mouse wheel is also the weakest part. The AM's was better, but also not perfect.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Nov 2014, 20:15

Uh I did not expect zowie mice to have that many issues! It's not like their cheap products. I'll stick with my Steelseries Sensei then. Probably the best mouse I ever owned.[emoji54]

@J888www check out the Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000, you might like it!

obfuscated

15 Nov 2014, 23:08

CeeSA: Can you tell me how hard it is to mod the wheel? I'm looking for a new mouse and I need a wheel that doesn't have very tactile feedback when scrolling. I prefer wheels that rotate almost freely. It is possible to do this with a Zowie mouse?

CeeSA

15 Nov 2014, 23:58

If you want to make it free wheel, it is very easy - imo.
zowie fk wheel.jpg
zowie fk wheel.jpg (127.85 KiB) Viewed 6851 times
Just remove the piece with the 2 springs and the tiny metal ball completely.

Elrick

16 Nov 2014, 04:01

CeeSA wrote: If you want to make it free wheel, it is very easy - imo.
zowie fk wheel.jpg
Just remove the piece with the 2 springs and the tiny metal ball completely.
Thank you for letting us know, I'm a BIG fan of 'free-wheeling' :D .

watson

31 Dec 2014, 22:49

is there a thread anywhere comparing this model with the Razer Imperator? thanks!

Return to “Mice & other input devices”