On a search for my first trackball

JackMills

17 Nov 2014, 13:58

I want to buy my first trackball, but I need some advice on which model. I tried the Logitech Trackman Wheel for some hours and found it comfortable. However Logitech doesn't offer this model anymore, so I was wondering if the M570 is any good, as I like the thumb action.
As I switched my mouse from left to right and I find this very pleasant, if I would like to stay left-mouse-handed then I need to look into ambidextrous design as I have found no left-handed thumbtrackball.

Budget-wise I am looking at anything in the Kensington Orbit series or the M570. I do prefer portability, as I plan to take it with me when working on location. So, personally, I narrowed it down to the M570 or the Orbit Mobile, but I would appreciate some input.

Adaephon

19 Nov 2014, 13:33

I have been using the M570 on my work computer for last 4 years now. (At home I have a Logitech Trackman Wheel Optical, which is the precursor model and looks very similar.)

I like the form of the device and the thumb action, because you can press every button while still being able to move around using the same thumb. Also, while I find the ergonomic form quite comfortable to hold, you do not actually have to hold the M570 as it stays in place solidly, not least because all button presses are downwards and not sideways.

Speaking of the buttons, as they are laid out like on a normal mouse, so it took me nearly no time to get used to this trackball. The two extra buttons are also quite useful to me: I do not really like to click with the scroll-wheel, so I remapped the forward button to middle-click. The backward button I remapped to enable scrolling with the ball on both axes while pressed. (I am not sure if this can be done on Windows but it is quite easy on Linux and probably any other Unix using X.org). The scroll-wheel is nothing special. It is not bad, but as I can scroll with the ball, I tend to use it not that often.

The resolution of the sensor is high enough to work comfortably on two Full-HD displays side-by-side and still allows enough fine control to hit small buttons. The ball can be easily turned but there is some friction, the ball will do maybe two complete turns spinning freely before stopping. Also very small movements from stand still are a bit of a problem because of a rather high static friction compared to the kinetic friction.

To be honest, it is actually my second M570. The first one just stopped working after 1.5 years, but got replaced rather quickly by Logitech as it was still in the 3 year warranty. The replacement still works without any issues. If it broke down today, I would probably buy another M570 to replace it and not only because there currently seem to be no other thumb operated trackballs available (outside of some older Logitech and Microsoft trackballs that can be bought for several hundred dollar on ebay).

Battery life is great. I am on my second battery now. That is, I am still using the one that came with the replacement M570 nearly 2.5 years ago (According to the management software it is now at 5% charge). That is quite a bit longer than the advertised 18 months and that even though I did not switch the M570 off even once. But then again, I tend to do a lot of things with keyboard shortcuts.

As for portability: The M570 is bigger - in every dimension - and heavier than the standard, run-of-the-mill desktop mouse. This is in part made up by the M570 being wireless with a really small receiver that can even be stowed next to the battery for transport (Or you can just leave it plugged into your laptop). It sure is possible to use it portably, but it is quite a bit bigger than devices intended to be and advertised as "portable".

JackMills

19 Nov 2014, 20:22

Adaephon, thank you for your detailed explanation of your experience with the M570. Today I left the choice up to my employer. As I would be using this for work, it made sense to leave the choice up to them to decide what they wanted to buy. As expected they have chosen the cheapest of the two, the Kensington Orbit Mobile. I am looking forward to try that one out and if necessary I can buy the Logitech by myself, then I have both for the price of one.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”