[Results] Best regular keyboard 2012

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

14 Dec 2012, 21:58

The nominees are: The Cherry G80-1800, the Cherry G80-3000, the IBM Model F family, the IBM Model M.

And the Award for Best regular keyboard 2012, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...

The famous IBM Model M is nicknamed the King of All Keyboards, and since the old King won by vote in 2012 over a wide variety of newly released mechanical keyboards, the nickname seems to be chosen well.

IBM 7531 Industrial PC Keyboard, Part Number 1388032. The first PC compatible Model M.

Full results.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Dec 2012, 03:08

Yeeeeaaaah!

The Model M won it! In 2012!! I'm laughing my ass off.

A perfect opportunity to spam with my IBM Model M simulator.

Acanthophis

15 Dec 2012, 03:14

Well, which nominee was launched after the year 2000? :roll:

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Dec 2012, 03:18

You may philosophize below about the reasons for this. Personally, I feel the new mechanical keyboards are not aimed at, uhm, professional keyboard users, but gamers, with a price race to the bottom, with stuff like backlit christmas tree keyboards instead of the best quality. Not necessarily bad, but not for the average deskthority crowd either. Little true invention from Topre, Costar (Filco) either, mostly different keycaps aimed at gamers.

That, and the IBM Model M is truly the King of All Keyboards, as always!

And full size keyboards are for accountants anyway.

Acanthophis

15 Dec 2012, 03:45

I'm not disagreeing with you, you are quite right.
But all nominees went down in terms of quality (with all aspects you want to include) over the time.

Unicomp boards ≠ IBM Model M
Today's Cherry boards ≠ Yesterday's Cherry boards
Don't know about the Model F, not familiar with this board.

And yeah, little true inventions nowadays are rare/nonexistent. It's hard to reinvent the wheel.

Oh, and share your kings! I don't think they particularly like reigning your realm alltogether :D

webwit wrote:And full size keyboards are for accountants anyway.
And gamer kids. God knows why...

bhtooefr

15 Dec 2012, 04:02

IIRC, the very last Model Fs have 1996 dates on them, and were produced from old stock parts that Lexmark had lying around.

That said, I'd argue that despite the modern metal spring keyboards being lower quality than the old stuff, quality is coming back up overall. The low-end gamer dreck is at least decent, basically.

laffindude

15 Dec 2012, 07:19

Haha! It was 4AM last night, I mistook my vote = winnar. Thought my wallet was about to get lighter. Well, Ms 1865, I'll take you home another time :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Dec 2012, 09:37

The Keyboard Oracle wrote:The nominees are: The Cherry G80-1800, the Cherry G80-1800, the IBM Model F family, the IBM Model M. […]
Good to know the Keyboard Oracle is infallible :mrgreen:

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Dec 2012, 15:49

The Oracle must have been just testing you.

Return to “Deskthority Awards 2012”