Diatec announces Limited Edition Filcos (Cherry MX Red)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 22:56

Diatec announces Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition

Today, Japanese distributor Diatec has announced the release of the strictly limited Majestouch Linear R keyboard series.

Features:
* Cherry MX Red Switches
* Fullsize and Tenkeyless
* New type double sided PCB
* Includes red WASD and Keypuller
* Limited Edition Dark-Gray Logo

This series will feature Cherry MX red switches. The keyboard will be available in the following variants:

FKNB108MR/NB2 - Full sized 108 keys, Japanese layout
FKNB104MR/EB2 - Full sized 104 keys, US ASCII layout
FKNB91MR/NB2 - Tenkeyless, 91 keys, Japanese layout
FKNB87MR/EB2 - Tenkeyless, 87 keys, US ASCII layout.

The keyboard will be for sale only from Diatect's website starting March 1st 10:00 AM. Orders will be limited to one order per household, with three items at most. Duplicated orders, orders exeeding the limit or "cheating entries" will be entirely cancelled.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Feb 2011, 22:58

I have a feeling there will be a good demand for this one...

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 23:02

webwit wrote:
I have a feeling there will be a good demand for this one...
Gonna be pretty hard to get one I assume. If they set up strict rules like this and a timed opening, I guess they did not make many at all.

keyboardlover

25 Feb 2011, 23:03

Can Americans and/or Europeans purchase them?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 23:03

If you use a buying agent and get them to timely order at 10 AM, I can't see why not.

db_Iodine

25 Feb 2011, 23:06

Wait, so they're supposedly only available through Diatec's website, but Taobao has listed some anyway.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Feb 2011, 23:07

I wonder if they will be more expensive than the other Filco keyboards.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 23:11

db_Iodine wrote:Wait, so they're supposedly only available through Diatec's website, but Taobao has listed some anyway.
Just checked the Taobao listing. It says engineering samples are expected in Mid-March or something like that. I guess its a pre-order only too.

microsoft windows

25 Feb 2011, 23:12

webwit wrote:I wonder if they will be more expensive than the other Filco keyboards.
I don't think so. Red cherries are pretty cheap.

Just kidding...to think about it seriously, I have no idea how much the keyboards will cost.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 23:13

Diatec lists it as 12,191 yen (~149 USD) for the tenkeyless.

Julle

25 Feb 2011, 23:14

Diatec, you bastards.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Feb 2011, 23:20

sixty wrote:Diatec lists it as 12,191 yen (~149 USD) for the tenkeyless.
That will make it more expensive than the illustrious G80-3494 red Cherry switches, especially if you include shopping agent and shipping costs.

db_Iodine

25 Feb 2011, 23:35

The price difference seems like too much for just the red switches.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 23:35

We should all just order 20k reds. Comes out much cheaper. Problem is that they take 6 months to deliver.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

25 Feb 2011, 23:48

"Hey Hans, these Brown sliders are missing their tactile hook!"
"Don't worry Gunther, marketing will figure something out."

And thus the Red switch was born.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 23:53

Their marketing team probably consists of a single guy who has been with the company for 30 years now.

I mean.... REALLY?

nanu

26 Feb 2011, 00:48

^ I LOLD IRL

Japan loves to troll your wallet with Exclusive and Limited Editions, repeating this with variants of the same product after the previous version is gone..

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Feb 2011, 00:52

It's not exclusive to Japan.

lootbag

26 Feb 2011, 01:34

email sent to obook.
let's see what they say.
and I just got a Noppoo from them today too -___-

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Feb 2011, 02:23

sixty wrote:Their marketing team probably consists of a single guy who has been with the company for 30 years now.

I mean.... REALLY?
This is what the Cherry logo would look like if you had it tattooed on your ass.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Feb 2011, 02:37

I'm looking at that Through Hole Diagram, and I'm glad Filco addressed a level of fail in the Cherry switch design by a more sophisticated level of fail. Solder is used to make electronic contacts. They applied it to make the key feel more stable or something. You're typing on solder. Other switches don't have this problem.

keyboardlover

26 Feb 2011, 03:19

These assholes obviously read my GeekHack poll and stole my idea :'(

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Feb 2011, 03:34

Geekhack 0 - 2 World

This is a photo of the average geekhack member waiting for the geekhack custom tenkeyless with numpad and big Enter, orange plate and purple WASD, after hearing the news.

microsoft windows

26 Feb 2011, 03:54

Nah, it's this guy who's always talking about being the average Geekhacker.

Nask

26 Feb 2011, 06:39

I didn' think that I could "lol" as much after reading this title's topic.
Quite interesting this mx-red ... :D

Pylon

26 Feb 2011, 16:37

webwit wrote:Geekhack 0 - 2 World

This is a photo of the average geekhack member waiting for the geekhack custom tenkeyless with numpad and big Enter, orange plate and purple WASD, after hearing the news.

Is that a Northgate Omnikey? White Alps FTW (though I've never used Cherries...)

microsoft windows

26 Feb 2011, 17:50

That's an IBM Model F keyboard on an old IBM PC.

ripster

26 Feb 2011, 17:53

webwit wrote:I'm looking at that Through Hole Diagram, and I'm glad Filco addressed a level of fail in the Cherry switch design by a more sophisticated level of fail. Solder is used to make electronic contacts. They applied it to make the key feel more stable or something. You're typing on solder. Other switches don't have this problem.
I have done a detailed Computer Simulation of the interaction between the Cherry MX plastic bottom half construction, plastic resilience (ABS), through hole soldering (ZOMG -THROUGH HOLE SOLDERING - INVENTED AROUND THE TIME OF DIP SWITCHES), Unleaded and therefore Uncool solder, and the bouncy bouncy characteristics of fiberglass infilled PCB material.

This has forced me to report your posts to the Admins here as "Technically Inaccurate". Nothing personal.

BTW - this forum SW is better than Vbulletin in that it warned me of a "SimulPost".

Of course once I realized it was MW I ignored the warning.

spolia_optima

26 Feb 2011, 22:12

My collecting bug is really acting up these days. Would love to get my hands on this keyboard, but I gotta be more careful with my money. I mean, I have money, of course, but I don't have webwit money. I'm assuming webwit is loaded, though it's bad to make assumptions.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Feb 2011, 06:47

Everyone will probably assume that after seeing his M picture. Also to pull that off and still maintain a girlfriend he must be loaded. Case closed.

Return to “News”