QMX Clip

Madhias
BS TORPE

12 Mar 2015, 16:09

Got a newsletter from UNIQEY / GMK right now, with some new (?) dampening solution:

HzFaq

12 Mar 2015, 16:14

I just got the same email, I haven't had a chance to check out the video yet though.

Is the noise of MX switches that big an issue to people? It seems like most of the office around me have louder keyboards than my Phantom with clears...

Findecanor

12 Mar 2015, 21:38

So it has come to this .... If Cherry did show some innovation, people wouldn't even think of this.

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2015, 21:41

Looks good actually. In theory at least, which is all the vid really shows.

GB?

Daniel

12 Mar 2015, 21:41

It's an interesting idea I think. I will definitely try them out if they're available. The advantage over O-rings is the dampening of the upwards movement as well.
Muirium wrote: GB?
send a message to CherryMX:
QMX-CLIP 105

:D

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2015, 21:46

Yeah, I'm a fan of damping upstrokes specifically. Alps and Topre gain a lot for me when damped. But MX has been impossible… until now apparently.

SL89

12 Mar 2015, 21:55

No dampening, dammed be the consequences!

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2015, 21:57

Then Cherry's got you all sorted since 1983!

Now if these housings helped make the buggers smoother too… like magic Nixies…

davkol

14 May 2015, 12:20

Muirium wrote: But MX has been impossible… until now apparently.
Possible, actually.

chzel

14 May 2015, 18:18

Still, the trampoline mod damps the downstroke, not the upstroke.

Muirium
µ

14 May 2015, 18:28

When someone does damp the MX upstroke at last, do tell us! Along with Goldilocks weight, it's Alps principle advantage over the clack heavy MX family.

davkol

15 May 2015, 16:34

Sigh, the link mentions the latex mod as well.

Cherry1990

17 May 2015, 00:47

I don't see any BIG difference from the "dear old" silicone/rubber o-ring...
Apart from the price, probably ten times or more greater... :?

amospalla
let's go

17 May 2015, 03:20

Cherry1990 wrote: I don't see any BIG difference from the "dear old" silicone/rubber o-ring...
Apart from the price, probably ten times or more greater... :?
This thing could dampen also the upstroke not allowing the stem to go all the way up with with some rubber above it.

I am very curious to see this thing out.

amospalla
let's go

19 Oct 2015, 01:57

It is being sold on Massdrop currently in packs of 110 pieces, some guy posted this video link on its discussion section https://vid.me/FZQ6. Seems to dampen upstroke but I don't understand how it does.

Oobly

01 Dec 2015, 15:26

amospalla wrote: It is being sold on Massdrop currently in packs of 110 pieces, some guy posted this video link on its discussion section https://vid.me/FZQ6. Seems to dampen upstroke but I don't understand how it does.
It clips onto the switch itself and the flat part of the top of the slider hits the bottom of the rubber of the clip since the slider usually extends a little out the housing when released fully.

The latex mod (as shown in the video above) does this, too, but it's a little more subtle and requires you to open the switch to do. You dab a little liquid latex onto two spots on the inside of the top housing where the slider hits on the upstroke:

Advantage is that it works for plate mounted switches ;)

I latex and trampoline mod all my MX switches.

Return to “News”