F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

scottc

29 Dec 2015, 03:27

:lol: I don't know what you're on about Elrick, but you're entirely missing my point. Perhaps you might notice my avatar if you take another look at it.

Aer Fixus

29 Dec 2015, 04:28

I know. I've decided I'm getting one no matter what, but I still need to gather the funds. I'll be cutting it close, time wise given when my break ends. Maybe I can give collateral in exchange for a late payment? A down payment to hold a board until full payment is made? :lol:

I'm mostly joking, but I'd totally be willing to do that.

And hopefully, it won't have to come to stuff like that. I certainly don't want to be searching the for sale threads for someone looking to get rid of theirs if I miss this...

Elrick

29 Dec 2015, 11:08

scottc wrote: :lol: I don't know what you're on about Elrick, but you're entirely missing my point. Perhaps you might notice my avatar if you take another look at it.
You youngsters with your baiting of "HHKB" just gets me all angsty against anyone using that horrible mistake of a keyboard.

The Model-F shall bring the finery back to REAL mechanical keyboards.

chzel

29 Dec 2015, 14:30

Elrick, DT already knows the F goodness. No need to get the hype going over here!

Ellipse

30 Dec 2015, 00:02

Wrapping up final things:

Europe F77/F62 shipping proxies - any volunteers?

You would be receiving a number of keyboards and shipping them out across Europe, for those who want to save on shipping costs. For example, the post office charges about $51 for a 7 pound package but $91 for a 28 pound package (I don't know the final weight of the keyboards just yet). Then those in Europe would pay you directly for the charges to ship within Europe.

Custom Colors - on the interest form some of you said you'd like a custom color. I will try to get black, but are there any other colors you really want, even if tooling costs were $20 to $100 extra? Please let me know by replying here or over PM. The more people interested in your suggested color, the lower the tooling costs to change colors.

Keyboard options -

The case color options will be for Off-White/Beige, Gray, and a custom color if you discuss with me beforehand.

The layout options for the springs will be ANSI, ISO, and HHKB (split right shift only and both split shift and split backspace).

The key options will be bring your own set (if you mail it to me I can have the factory install it, no extra charge), ANSI, black blank, regular blank, and your own language (ISO) as long as Unicomp makes it. I will also try to get APL and front printed keys but those will both cost more. The costs will be passed along: whatever Unicomp charges on their web site. I will also try to get some used Model M ANSI key sets.

codemonkeymike

30 Dec 2015, 00:34

Stone Grey is the color I would like, or I would pay at least $30 more for a forrest/sage green option.

kekstee

30 Dec 2015, 03:46

Does regular ANSI (or ISO) support the split backspace? As far as I understand it the barrels would fit but the plungers are not put in place?

And how is the split right shift support looking with new keysets. Would we even be able to buy a matching blank set with an extra stepped caps as right shift key?
What about 7x spacebars?

I did put black/black into the preorder form, but depending on commonly available keys and case colors that could even change to beige + two-tone for all I care.

andrewjoy

30 Dec 2015, 04:11

Can i have ANSI but with split backspace (but not split shift)

Ellipse

30 Dec 2015, 04:14

kekstee-yes the split backspace is supported on all the layout options but it would be missing a flipper/spring. So you don't have to open up your keyboard the factory will be customizing the springs/flippers most likely.

For split right shift, yes you would buy an extra blank caps lock key and regular 1U key. The spacebar is the standard Model F/M spacebar size - other size spacebars will not work.

andrewjoy - yes - just please make a note on the order so I can pass it to the factory.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

30 Dec 2015, 05:50

My F77 will be Industrial gray, ANSI, with split LEFT shift. Hopefully the factory can keep all of these permutations straight, although if I had to open it up and rearrange the flippers that's not too big of a deal. IBM was really amazingly smart, in hindsight, designing the Model F so they could configure the same PCB and barrels into so many different layout combinations!

Madhias
BS TORPE

30 Dec 2015, 07:46

I have updated / changed my interest form to a beige F77 model, instead of a black one. I am really not sure to source or how to get black caps (M13?). Therefor a beige case will be the way to go for me!

kekstee

30 Dec 2015, 12:30

Thanks for the clarification.

I just checked unicomps key selection and it seems we can actually get a printed HHKB set. Although I don't know how to correctly submit the | \ and Fn labeling so it ends up in the right places. So I think I'd go the pearl/pebble/beige way as well.

Now I'm just left with the difficult choice of 62 vs 77 :D

Madhias
BS TORPE

30 Dec 2015, 12:47

Hmm, I will try to avoid using printed Unicomp caps (I don't like the printed caps quality at all), and go with a standard layout F77 model. There's everything I want! With the F62 it would be not so easy. I really like Ellipses' layout:

kekstee

30 Dec 2015, 13:02

The print quality is bad? Could you hint where to find a comparison to IBM keys?

Btw why I'm so on the fence with that split BS: having an overlap of Escape and ~ isn't fun on unix.

andrewjoy

30 Dec 2015, 14:56

that is exactly why its uses a split backspace

it is called UNIX layout after-all.

for me unix layout with the 62 key bottom row is almost perfect for that size of board.

Hypersphere

30 Dec 2015, 15:15

@Ellipse: Will all these various options be listed on the official order form? Do we need to declare or re-declare our preferences on the current IC form?

Regarding layout on the F62, I would be trying to replicate something as close as possible to a HHKB layout:

+ Split Backspace with two I.00x keys: \ | and ` ~

+ Backspace key to the right of the ] } key instead of Backslash

+ Left Ctrl instead of CapsLock

+ Split Right Shift with a 1.75x and 1.00x key: Right Shift followed by Fn

+ Bottom Row: CapsLock, Alt, OS, Space, OS, Alt, Ctrl

Regarding case color: Black

Regarding keycap color(s): Either Pearl alphas and Pebble mods OR Pearl alphas and Blank Black Mods plus Black Spacebar OR all Blank Black

Is this possible, or will I need to revise something?

Thanks.

Madhias
BS TORPE

30 Dec 2015, 15:53

kekstee wrote: The print quality is bad? Could you hint where to find a comparison to IBM keys?
I do think so, I have made some pictures, here is the link to the thread post:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/uni ... ml#p182248

For example the APL set is a set a lot of people bought in the past, and it is not really good looking, the legends are washed out, and have bold legends. All the caps I have seen so far and got for myself have rather bold and not really sharp legends. But if that does not bother someone it is absolutely no problem and the caps are fully functional - I am talking only about the quality of the printed legend quality!

Ellipse

30 Dec 2015, 19:39

Yes Hypersphere it should be possible - I will put in the request to Unicomp next year and see what they can do.

For anyone with extra custom requests, please message me before placing your order.

Split right shifters: do most of you want a full HHKB layout or just the split right shift and/or split backspace? It is a matter of ordering extra key legends from Unicomp.

30 Dec 2015, 20:24

EDIT :

Preferrable would be this : http://tinyurl.com/gw2edae

However, all we could likely expect from Unicomp would be this : http://tinyurl.com/q9x7vq2

Kind of like this :

Elrick

31 Dec 2015, 00:44

Madhias wrote: Image
I'm really loving this image, if Ellipse is making this layout - my imagination is going wild with anticipation.

The layout is perfect and this shall be my last ever purchase of a Keyboard for this century.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

31 Dec 2015, 01:02

That's one of many possible layouts that can be configured on an F77.

kokokoy

31 Dec 2015, 01:59

Do we need to resubmit on the form on the op if our interest changed? Love the look/layout of that F77.

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2015, 02:03

Techno Trousers wrote: That's one of many possible layouts that can be configured on an F77.
Yeah, Model Fs excel at this sort of thing. So inherently flexible. Here's my AT, which I set up much like that too:

An F77 suits the arrow cluster a bit more naturally than the AT. But I find having a numpad Enter key on the right corner second nature. With a keyboard as large as the AT I seem to unconsciously assume it's a full size anyway and habitually hit that key expecting Return. With a programmable controller: no problem. Flexibility again!

Ellipse

31 Dec 2015, 02:57

kokokoy I made the change in your form to F77.

kekstee

31 Dec 2015, 03:03

Oh, I resubmitted earlier, I hope you don't mind filtering for double user entries before getting a count.

Aer Fixus

31 Dec 2015, 04:01

So, will black be a custom color? Will it be full price for a tooling change of will the cost be split among the people who wish for a black case?

[Edit:] And you said certain parts will be purchasable separately? Could I purchase the foam for a 62 key separately? I still need to refoam my Kish.

Ellipse

31 Dec 2015, 04:04

Black will be a regular option. no extra cost!

Yes you can buy extra foam

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

31 Dec 2015, 04:48

I think I'm not late to the party right? do I need to submit the IC check or just wait for the GB?

Ellipse

31 Dec 2015, 05:19

Pls submit the form - nope you are not late!

Elrick

31 Dec 2015, 06:38

bocahgundul wrote: I think I'm not late to the party right? do I need to submit the IC check or just wait for the GB?
It's like turning up to your first Group Orgy, you don't know what will happen but someone will show you the way :D .

Return to “Group buys”