HyperMicro / Deadline: 2015-03-17 / -32767 days to go! :o

Muirium
µ

13 Jan 2015, 01:17

scottc wrote: :( Are there any first-gen prototypes left for me to take instead?
They're more fun anyway: you get to fix 7bit's mistakes before you add your own!

I got mine kinda sorta working now. But I need a case. My cunning plan to run it naked doesn't work so well. Pressing keys on the top row makes it tilt!

7bit

13 Jan 2015, 08:48

There are not so many mistakes!

Mainly, the thing with the wrong logic of the mouse switches.
:-)

I've got to see if I have one left ...

BTW: About the plates:
I send replacements for free, should a plate not work out the way it should. So there is no reason not to order plates.
:cool:

suka
frobiac

13 Jan 2015, 09:00

Muirium wrote: But I need a case. My cunning plan to run it naked doesn't work so well. Pressing keys on the top row makes it tilt!
I put two screws about 12mm long (while isolating/protecting the pcb via some o-rings) through the upper holes on the side to protect the teensy and prevent the board from tipping over... until I built the prototype case of course.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Jan 2015, 09:02

I'm a little torn about this board. It's a fun little keyboard but I don't see myself using it any time soon. I would build it just for the fun of building it (which is actually fine). I find this better (in the sense of "more usable") than other tiny boards such as JD40 so I don't know why you are not getting more orders, 7bit.

Halvar

13 Jan 2015, 09:11

It's definitely been a fun low-risk project for a newb like me, and very different from what you can buy ready-made.

gianni

13 Jan 2015, 13:38

I know that I'm really late to say anything; I really like the pcb and its small prices, but it's really too small. I need a 60% ansi layout, because of those five accented letters that we have in Italian :-) I can adapt to an ansi, but to such a small one it's impossible. Thanks for the god work, I hope that the next iterations will be bigger.

macmakkara

13 Jan 2015, 14:24

Im interested in this but i want to see it with trackpoint and working mousebuttons.

7bit

13 Jan 2015, 14:37

gianni wrote: ... Thanks for the god work, I hope that the next iterations will be bigger.
:evilgeek:

There will be a 5x15 design in a short moment ...
:o

Or an 8x28 if you can wait a little longer ...

suka
frobiac

13 Jan 2015, 14:42

macmakkara wrote: Im interested in this but i want to see it with trackpoint and working mousebuttons.

What exactly are you missing? The mousebuttons are already working fine on the PCB with a minor modification to their pins depending on which ones you use. A hole for the trackpoint is also available, so all you'll need may be a custom adaptor/extension and a mounting place for it in a case.

macmakkara

13 Jan 2015, 14:59

Yeah thats true but i want to see that someone will get it work :) but still little tight on money atm. So il have to wait few months before il going to buy anything New :(

snoopy

13 Jan 2015, 15:24

so I can currently order pcb and plate and soon also a case?

7bit

13 Jan 2015, 16:04

Yep, PCB, plate, controller (I recommend you get that from Muirium, to avoid my rip-off prices), diodes, switches, key caps!

gianni

14 Jan 2015, 01:58

7bit wrote:
gianni wrote: ... Thanks for the god work, I hope that the next iterations will be bigger.

There will be a 5x15 design in a short moment ...

Or an 8x28 if you can wait a little longer ...
Thanks 7bit :-)

I hope not to miss the 5x15 train... One thing that the mechanical keyboard world needs is a continous supply of basic elements (pcb, cases...): many articles appear on the market and then disappear too soon to even notice them.

7bit

14 Jan 2015, 11:35

If anybody plans to order a Hyper keyboard in the future:
http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/e ... ml#p203559

:ugeek:

I will not be able to beat these prices!!!!
:cry:

For everything until a TKL, you need a Teensy 2.0 and for the larger keyboards including the Hyper7, you need a Teensy++ 2.0!

gianni

14 Jan 2015, 14:22

7bit, I really like the idea of trying to build a keyboard for a small price.
I'm sure that many would like to try, but right now are asking themselves:
- are there available - compatible cases? the 5x15 design will be poker- compatible?
- how much work and soldering is necessary?
- how and where do I solder leds and diodes?
- is it easy to program the teensy?
- where are the tutorials?

Thanks for the "god" work.

edit: I found an older thread, with some answers http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/h ... t4185.html

Halvar

14 Jan 2015, 14:52

I collected some basic facts and links to relevant threads in the wiki:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/HyperMicro

scottc

14 Jan 2015, 15:02

That's excellent Halvar, thank you very much for that.

gianni

14 Jan 2015, 15:06

Thanks Halvar.

A post by Icarium:
http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/h ... 5-390.html
The signal to noise ratio on this thread is so horrible that I actually put reading it on my ToDo list. >_<

Here is a short summary.
1. Switch manufacturer: This is a cherry project. Alps is an option for later. Other stuff is too complicated.
2. Switch type: Plate mounted because there is no room for the holes that PCB mounted switches need.
3. Layout: A million have been proposed. About 1000 will be supported by the PCB. Jury is still out on the plate.
4. Controller: Teensy, Controller placement: Under the board somewhere.
5. Size: The Mini will fit a Poker case. The Micro will be smaller.
6. Cases: No plans for the Micro, Poker cases are available elsewhere.

7bit

14 Jan 2015, 15:21

gianni wrote: Thanks Halvar.

A post by Icarium:
http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/h ... 5-390.html
The signal to noise ratio on this thread is so horrible that I actually put reading it on my ToDo list. >_<

Here is a short summary.
1. Switch manufacturer: This is a cherry project. Alps is an option for later. Other stuff is too complicated.
2. Switch type: Plate mounted because there is no room for the holes that PCB mounted switches need.
3. Layout: A million have been proposed. About 1000 will be supported by the PCB. Jury is still out on the plate.
4. Controller: Teensy, Controller placement: Under the board somewhere.
5. Size: The Mini will fit a Poker case. The Micro will be smaller.
6. Cases: No plans for the Micro, Poker cases are available elsewhere.
Rubbish!!!!!!
:mad:

2:
CherryMX: you can use PCB-mount switches (with those 2 extra pins at the bottom), ie MXRED/NW or MXBLUE/NW for example.
Alps: There is no such thing as PCB-mount, they always require a plate

3:
Not all of these will be available, but MOQ is quite low (like 4-5):

HYPER/MICRO/7BIT minimalist version
HYPER/MICRO/SYM100
HYPER/MICRO/SYM400 these are symmetricly staggered layouts,
HYPER/MICRO/SYM700 the number is the size of the space bar in untits times 100
HYPER/MICRO/ANSI100
HYPER/MICRO/ANSI400 these are traditionaly staggered layouts,
HYPER/MICRO/ANSI400M the umber is the size of the space bar in untits times 100
HYPER/MICRO/ANSI700 the M denotes a special version made for Muirium
:roll:

See first page of this thread for plates and layouts.

5:
The HyperMini will be a 5x(2+16) keyboard, ie a keyboard without numpad but 10 function keys to the left and a few extra keys to the right to be used as cursor keys.
Becuase of the many keys and 5 mousebuttons, it requires the Teensy++ controller!

6:
There are some people working on cases already!
(matt3o and suka, for example!)

scottc

20 Jan 2015, 20:43

7bit, a small question. I ordered a HyperMicro along with a load of other grab box stuff, and now you offered a qHACK too (thanks!). Do you have any ETA on the Hypermicro and qHACK? If they're far away, I might SHIPNOW and come back for the PCBs later.

7bit

20 Jan 2015, 21:00

It might take about one month until I have anything to offer, so SHIPNOW might be a good idea!
;-)

scottc

06 Feb 2015, 19:47

:shock: :o :x :evil:

This is me while waiting for my HYPERMICRO

7bit

06 Feb 2015, 20:48

There are still too few people (2 actually) who want one. I don't have the funds to pay for the PCBs in advance.
:cry:

scottc

06 Feb 2015, 21:00

You mean 2 people too few, or 2 people in total..?

7bit

06 Feb 2015, 21:01

2 in total.
:roll:

scottc

06 Feb 2015, 21:52

Oh... :cry:

How about the qHACK?

SL89

06 Feb 2015, 22:50

you might have one less person or i can just get two, im on mobile atm but let me check back in when im home. i'd hate to see this project languish from lack of participation.

7bit

07 Feb 2015, 09:53

qHACK: I still have to tweak the PCB design a little bit, but will soon order the prototype series.

meow a cat

07 Feb 2015, 20:03

Hey 7bit, I really want to get in on this GB but I don't have the funds at the moment. I just picked up a Hakko soldering station and all of the stuff to go with it, so I'm a bit strapped. I'd really love for this to be my first board built from scratch.

How much longer will this group buy be open? I'm hoping for three weeks more or so?

Also, any estimate for shipping to Canada?

Cheers.

Muirium
µ

07 Feb 2015, 21:39

This is a 7bit GB. 3 weeks!? 3 months: for sure. 3 years: maybe! And I'm not really kidding…

Once Suka's back (and I've got my HyperMicro prototype working inside his case) I bet interest will pick up a bit. There will be pics! Suka's case is a fantastic design that makes the micro sing. Oh, and once I throw some Round 5 on this little thing!

Return to “Group buys”