[IC] Alps DCS keyset from SP

Nuum

15 Sep 2014, 21:59

Hi,

Update 2014-11-18: The interest check is now live on PMK: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/del ... s-dcs-set/ Go vote there, to make the IC/GB a success!

Here is a rendering with Cherry legends, this is close to how the set will look:

Also this keyset is fully compatible to the Infinity keyboard from the recent Massdrop sale.

Old IC below:

Badwrench posted a Interest Check for an Alps doubleshot DCS set from SP: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62274
He said, that he would like to see a thread on this IC on DT as well, for increased input. I'm currently not involved in this IC, just wanted to let you guys know about this awesome group buy/interest check.

I personally would love to get an International keyset similar to the one in the Granite group buy, but currently just two people showed interest for this, as far as I can see.

The current proposed color schemes are the following:
SoWaRe variations:
Smith-Corona:
Triumph Adler:
White base Triumph Adler -WFK/BDG (with 6.25 spacebar from Matias)
Yolch:

Currently these set are planned:
Alpha (base)
Mods (base)
Tsangan
ISO

Let's get an International kit in there!

So I'd love to get some input on this GB from the Deskthority community as well. I will link this thread to the IC thread on Geekhack and maybe our opinions on the Alps DCS keyset will be heard.

Thanks,

Nuum
Last edited by Nuum on 18 Nov 2014, 09:25, edited 6 times in total.

scottc

15 Sep 2014, 22:35

Interesting, but, as far as I know, SP don't have the necessary tooling to do a full ALPS set. If they do and this goes ahead, I wonder how they will do the stabs. I didn't see anything solid from the GH thread.

Nuum

15 Sep 2014, 22:42

I think the stabs are currently discussed. Cherry MX Mount stabs would probably be the best option.
I don't know whether SP can do a full Alps set, maybe we should ask them or BadWrench.

Badwrench

16 Sep 2014, 04:43

Nuum wrote: I think the stabs are currently discussed. Cherry MX Mount stabs would probably be the best option.
I don't know whether SP can do a full Alps set, maybe we should ask them or BadWrench.
They can do all but the spacebar, they have no molds for any size with an alps mount.

Thank you Nuum for sharing this here on DT. Oh, and Hi everyone.

Chime in with anything that I am overlooking or that you feel this is missing. I am looking at the option of doing language packs as well.

scottc

16 Sep 2014, 10:18

Thanks for joining us, BadWrench!

I think that SP currently can do 1U DSA for ALPS right now, but I suppose that doesn't help us for a DCS set. It's a shame about the spacebars, though! I seem to have no Cherry boards where they match either... :lol:

Excited to see how this turns out!

7bit

16 Sep 2014, 11:03

Nuum wrote: I think the stabs are currently discussed. Cherry MX Mount stabs would probably be the best option.
Cherry would be supported by all Hyper keyboards. As far as I know, SP is able to make those key caps (Cherry-stab and Alps-switch mount).

For color, I recommend something more readable.
:roll:

Just read that about the space bars. Should be not too expensive, because they can change the mounts on the keys, so not an entirely new space bar is needed, just the mounts.

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Sep 2014, 22:34

Those colour schemes are …

odd.

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2014, 23:59

Yeaaaaah, can't say I like the look of any of them. An Alps GB is definitely a noble endeavour, though. Just pick better colours. Can't go wrong with white on black, for instance. Maybe a nice dark grey base colour for the alphas, for that classic graphite look.

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Sep 2014, 00:21

Personally I'd start with RGB mods (both white and black legends). Except that they'd have the wrong typeface for my Tactile Pro for PC when it arrives :(

I am really hoping Matias makes matching RGB mods for all their keyboards, in the correct typeface.

Of course, a full white-on-black Alps doubleshot set plus RGB mods would resolve the problem with Matias using laser etching, as that stains badly. Just replace the whole keycap set … I doubt I would at SP prices though, as my Tactile Pro is only for research purposes, since there's still no wretched Mini Tactile Pro for PC :[

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2014, 00:35

What's the problem with the Mac version? Typically, there's nothing to distinguish specifically Mac keyboards from regular PC ones besides legends.

Badwrench

17 Sep 2014, 07:58

Thanks for the input everyone. I am trying to get as much feedback as I can so that I can put together a set that the most people will be comfortable with. I know I won't be able to make everyone happy, but hopefully if this works like I think it will, it will only be the first of many.

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Sep 2014, 09:43

Badwrench wrote: Thanks for the input everyone. I am trying to get as much feedback as I can so that I can put together a set that the most people will be comfortable with. I know I won't be able to make everyone happy, but hopefully if this works like I think it will, it will only be the first of many.
Windows and alt get reversed. In order to swap these deep enough to work in remote sessions onto servers, I have to reconfigure the Registry, and therefore reboot any time I want to swap keyboard. If I'm using a PC I expect the keys to be in the correct place. Autohotkey et al don't work in any remote access software, as those capture keyboard input at a lower level. They also don't work in any program with elevated integrity.

Using a PC keyboard on a Mac is less trouble, as the OS supports swapping the modifiers around¹. Windows does not.

¹ which is odd, as it goes against Apple trying to hawk their own tragically awful keyboards — maybe that feature was snuck in by a developer late one night who wanted to use a proper keyboard on his or her Mac

Badwrench

08 Oct 2014, 02:37

Colors were voted on and we went with "Delta Blues". Please chime in on any keys I missed in any of the sets or anything that you may want added. Thanks.

Pending official renders with the cherry font, this IC will be officially going up on the PMK site.

Alphas:
black soware base.jpg
black soware base.jpg (80.45 KiB) Viewed 7949 times
Mods:
black soware mods.jpg
black soware mods.jpg (77 KiB) Viewed 7949 times
HHKB kit:
HHKB kit.jpg
HHKB kit.jpg (19.46 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
ISO kit:
ISO kit.jpg
ISO kit.jpg (15.09 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
Inverted kit:
inverted .jpg
inverted .jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
Tsangan:
Tsangan.jpg
Tsangan.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
color examples:
Delta Blues colors.jpg
Delta Blues colors.jpg (72.09 KiB) Viewed 7948 times

Nuum

08 Oct 2014, 12:56

I'm working on a mockup for the international kit here: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 0edd60cba8
Currently it includes DE/DK/SE/NO and I'd like to include IT/FR/UK as well, but I currently don't have the time for that. I used 7bit's Round 5 as a reference, the missing kits are these: Image Image Image
I'd be very happy if someone else could include these in the mockup.

kytarx

22 Oct 2014, 20:16

I am definitely interested in this with the hhkb set.

One question I have is why ^ was chosen for meta on hhkb legend ? On Os X the ^ is the symbol for control so re-appropriating it for meta when one of the major operating system uses it for something else is maybe counter-intuitive.

Other than that... looks friggen awesome and nice to see some ALPS set on here for a change.

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2014, 20:22

Actually, chevron is only Control on ISO Mac keyboards. (And maybe only ISO UK for all I know.) My American MacBook Pro has text mods, as they have always done over there. I prefer the iconic legends Apple uses here, though. But we are a niche!

The only caps GB I've ever seen with a full set of Apple's icon mods was Granite:

And that's because I put them there! Matteo dropped the chevron Control keys several times, but I persevered. They are rare indeed.

kytarx

22 Oct 2014, 22:42

yes but in all the GUIs and any docs listing shortcuts whether US or UK it is marked as caret / chevron or whatever its called.

And damn that is one nice looking keyboard.

geniekid

08 Nov 2014, 17:45

Just an update - the interest check for this is live at PMK/SP. Go vote here!

Badwrench

11 Nov 2014, 03:39

geniekid wrote: Just an update - the interest check for this is live at PMK/SP. Go vote here!
Thanks for adding that it. We are only 5 days in and already at 26 votes. I am sure we can make 100 so that we can get this set to GB status. Here is the render with Cherry font. Note: the windows keys will be using the Win7 logo.
Attachments
Render.jpg
Render.jpg (416.31 KiB) Viewed 7523 times

geniekid

11 Nov 2014, 23:25

Maybe worth noting that this key set will be compatible with the recent Infinity Massdrop keyboard.

geniekid

12 Nov 2014, 15:21

Also you should update the OP Badwrench!

EDIT: My bad. Nuum started this thread.

Badwrench

18 Nov 2014, 01:54

Bump this up. IC still live on PMK. Go vote here!

Nuum

18 Nov 2014, 09:44

OP updated. Sorry, I didn't finish the International kit mock up, I just didn't have the time to do so and the interest for that kit wasn't that great.

amospalla
let's go

18 Nov 2014, 21:36

I wish it was addequate for my Matias Quiet Pro.

geniekid

15 Dec 2014, 19:54

68 votes! Please vote :)

Hypersphere

15 Dec 2014, 22:26

I have voted. There needs to be more support for Alps-mount keycaps sets. Unfortunately, there is some confusion about compatibility of this set and caps harvested from vintage Alps boards with respect to stabilized keys, including spacebars.

For example, will the mods and spacebar from this Alps set work with the KBP V60 Matias Mini keyboard?

In any case, I have cast my vote for the Alps DCS keyset from SP.

jacobolus

15 Dec 2014, 23:30

Hypersphere wrote: For example, will the mods and spacebar from this Alps set work with the KBP V60 Matias Mini keyboard?
This has already been answered several times. I’m not sure what we can do to un-confuse you. The spacebar should be compatible with the V60, but not the other stabilized keys.

These will however be compatible with MassDrop’s Infinity keyboard, and with Matias’s upcoming MX/Alps 60% board.

Hypersphere

15 Dec 2014, 23:42

jacobolus wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: For example, will the mods and spacebar from this Alps set work with the KBP V60 Matias Mini keyboard?
This has already been answered several times. I’m not sure what we can do to un-confuse you. The spacebar should be compatible with the V60, but not the other stabilized keys.

These will however be compatible with MassDrop’s Infinity keyboard, and with Matias’s upcoming MX/Alps 60% board.
Don't know why I am so thick-headed about this! Thanks for your patience!

geniekid

06 Jan 2015, 18:33

87 votes now! 13 to go...

Return to “Group buys”