[HYPE-BUILDER] GMK Classic Beige

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Jan 2015, 16:10

Hello guys,

I'm just posting this to get everyone excited. I've hinted at this a bunch on Geekhack before.

I've been getting at least a PM per day asking 'WHEN'S THE GMK BEIGE GB HAPPENING?'

My initial plan was run it right at the end of January.

However, I understand the importance of the community not running more than one similar GMK GBs at once. 85|15 is still ongoing, and ctrlalt's GMK Hyperfuse will be starting in the next few days.

Because of this, I have decided to delay the start of the group buy by a few weeks. As soon as me and ctrlalt feel Hyperfuse has had an appropriate time to gather orders, and as soon as people's wallets have had time to refresh.. Beige will launch.

In the mean time, here are mockups of the two sets on offer. Keys are not subject to change. Get hype.

This is the closest you will get to an exact Cherry replica. Perfect original legends, A-profile tsangan row, win98 keys (and modern ones for those that don't like them). HHKB, 75% support in the extra kit, as well as windowed keys and ISO.

scottc

27 Jan 2015, 16:21

HHKB support... A-profile caps...

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Jan 2015, 16:38

Just make sure you buy at least a few of the extra kits if you want to ensure it gets MOQ ;)

geniekid

27 Jan 2015, 19:24

Well thought out key selection.

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 19:43

Hmm. A lot of good there, indeed. (Clearly hasn't run the gauntlet of ISO bashing at GH yet though. So young, so hopeful!) But what about us Windows !lovers with 1.25u mods? There's no way to avoid those Winkeys that I can see.

Meta… Super… Anything but a bloody penguin…

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Jan 2015, 19:54

I'm afraid you're the minority on that one Mu, as far as I can tell :(

Order of popularities from the group of people I asked goes :

1. Win98 legends
2. Win8 legends
3. No windows legends

I kept win8, since the win98 legends have to be pad printed, and I know some a lot of people don't like that.

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 19:57

Probably for the best. I need to look for excuses not to get any deeper in caps!

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Jan 2015, 19:58

If you went winkeyless you wouldn't have any problems ;)

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 20:02

I need more mods! (Mac guys use Command, Option and Control just as heavily as you folk use Control and Alt.) My winkeyless boards get mapped with asymmetric mods so I can juggle them. But anything I make, I want all the mods I need!

crunch

27 Jan 2015, 20:05

Any estimate on the price.

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Jan 2015, 20:08

crunch wrote: Any estimate on the price.
Because of the delightful EU's "free trade" and the 20% VAT I need to pay because of my location, we're looking at roughly $135~ for the main kit, and probably $35-45 for the extra kit. Still not a bad price, since I'm not making profit on this (I'm adding about $10 to the main kit, just to cover any extra charges I might need to pay, or any mistakes in the shipping costs. I can't afford to lose money on this.)

gianni

27 Jan 2015, 20:17

Fantastic set, the only problem is the beige. It reminds me too much of an era in which computers had all that beige colored keyboard.... It feels like I've already seen it a million times. Can we make also a different color?

Also, please, please say no to that fugly windows logo.

Madhias
BS TORPE

27 Jan 2015, 20:43

I will definitely buy this one! Because of A) being classic, B) being not fancy and C) because of A.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Jan 2015, 21:37

Nice reminder of
gianni wrote: an era in which computers had all that beige colored keyboard
:mrgreen:

However, again the missing AltGr kills it for me :cry:

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Jan 2015, 21:38

Don't you have enough AltGrs already kbdfr? :mrgreen:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Jan 2015, 21:41

What I need is a 1.25 AltGr.
As you well know :lol:

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Jan 2015, 21:58

Aha.. I'll have a think about a way around that problem ;)

quochung1989
Vintage Cherry Collector

27 Jan 2015, 23:24

Yes great photekq. I 'll take all. Waiting gb run :) Everything is very good

pasph

28 Jan 2015, 00:01

Those will be shipped from EU or US?

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jan 2015, 00:01

pasph wrote: Those will be shipped from EU or US?
UK :)

Cherry1990

28 Jan 2015, 00:21

Is it possible to have also the special keys for European languages?

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jan 2015, 00:24

Cherry1990 wrote: Is it possible to have also the special keys for European languages?
No, sorry. I would love to do it, but it just isn't viable due to the very high MOQ of 250.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Jan 2015, 00:58

Could you divide this in more sets, like it's often done on PMK? 60% set, TKL set, numpad set, tsangan set, etc.

I'm in desperate need of a retro-Cherry set for my KBT Pure, and it would be ideal so I wouldn''t spend 170$ on a keyset where I'm going to use at most half of it. :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jan 2015, 01:09

ramnes wrote: Could you divide this in more sets, like it's often done on PMK? 60% set, TKL set, numpad set, tsangan set, etc.

I'm in desperate need of a retro-Cherry set for my KBT Pure, and it would be ideal so I wouldn''t spend 170$ on a keyset where I'm going to use at most half of it. :)
It's really not viable with GMK. You will end up having certain kits not hitting MOQ, which is not what we want.

Also, if you were to split up the full set into 60%, TKL, fullsize, and then you bought all three for a fullsize board, it would end up costing more. That's how GMKs pricing works. The more keys in a 'set', the lower the price per key.

So, no, sorry.

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2015, 01:37

They won this for good reason:
http://deskthority.net/results-f72/the- ... ng#p137130

Ivan's pulled off a few miracles to get GMK to produce sets with a reasonable MOQ below their preference, but the kind of small runs that SP/PMK is so good at… well, they are the only game in town.

pmh1410

28 Jan 2015, 03:56

Nice Bro, we will join with mass order ;)

I hope that you will add more 1x menu text like as G80-1800 winkey and RGB DS, A profile ;)
Last edited by pmh1410 on 28 Jan 2015, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

rindorbrot

28 Jan 2015, 08:03

I vote for an alt gr key, too.
Then I would probably buy two sets (and then only use the modifiers as a moogle kit :lol:).

gianni

28 Jan 2015, 14:22

You could add the choice to buy some blank extra keys (1x - 1.25x - 1.5x etc), this way you will have more partecipation, without having to offer all the national layouts. It is important also if someone wants some spare caps.
I would hate to spend so much, and end up having a ; or : where the ò à ù should be!!
This should be a standard option for all the group buys, I wonder why nobody had this idea.

Stabilized

28 Jan 2015, 14:50

Yes please! :D
This will be perfect for my most recent build, and shipping from the UK? Count me in! :D

Findecanor

28 Jan 2015, 16:45

Myself, I think that the Windows keys should have "GUI" and "Menu" printed on them instead. Then have "Function" as an alternative legend, as almost every modern keyboard has a Function key instead of the right Windows or Menu key.
"GUI" would be OS-agnostic, and it would be more consistent with all text-legends.
pmh1410 wrote: RGB
You don't think that RGB has been done do death already?

Return to “Group buys”