Sun Type 4

sparky

31 May 2015, 23:26

I unexpectedly came across this a while ago. Of course, I had to have it :) Unfortunately I was too slow and missed a Type 3 from the same source. I was familiar with later Sun keyboards but didn't know this one.

The Sun Type 4 uses unbranded (as far as I could see) foam and foil switches with rubber sleeves for the tactile response. It feels quite pleasant to type on, much more than the later models (the Type 5 is not too bad for a rubber dome, and it went down from there). This being said by someone who has used almost exclusively buckling springs for the past 20 years.

This model introduced what came to be known as the "Sun keys" on the left side (Stop, Again, Props, etc). The keys were present on the previous model (Type 3) but were only labeled L1 to L10, the Type 4 is the first with the new labels. Unlike the Type 5 and later models it doesn't have a separate navigation cluster. The big Ctrl key is on the left of A where it belongs, and a small Caps Lock is relegated to the spacebar row. It has a Compose key (not present on the Type 3), a Line Feed key (not present on later models) and the right cluster sports an '=' key that morphed into Audio Mute on the Type 5 (they share the same scancode). Another uncommon feature is the ISO-shaped Enter on an otherwise purely US layout.

The caps themselves are double shot, the left and right cluster have additional markings on the front (L1 to L10 and R1 to R15, respectively).

Sorry about the picture quality, it's the best I can do at this time with low light and no camera stand.
Attachments
Double shot keycaps, black on cream.
Double shot keycaps, black on cream.
double_shot.jpg (118.07 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
The rubber sleeves are quite firm, and also in excellent shape considering their age.
The rubber sleeves are quite firm, and also in excellent shape considering their age.
plungers_and_sleeve.jpg (125.33 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
It's probably older than some of the people here.
It's probably older than some of the people here.
pcb_date.jpg (135.14 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
Some of the pads were slightly corroded, but not enough to be a problem.
Some of the pads were slightly corroded, but not enough to be a problem.
pcb.jpg (233.68 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
The now-traditional "Sun keys" on the left, with the front labels calling back to the previous Type 3.
The now-traditional "Sun keys" on the left, with the front labels calling back to the previous Type 3.
left_fkeys.jpg (261.22 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
kbd_right.jpg
kbd_right.jpg (182.5 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
kbd_left.jpg
kbd_left.jpg (176.15 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
For a keyboard this age, the foam and foil were in suprisingly good shape.
For a keyboard this age, the foam and foil were in suprisingly good shape.
foam_and_foil_detail.jpg (111.93 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
Still made in the US back then.
Still made in the US back then.
back_label.jpg (238.73 KiB) Viewed 4888 times

Findecanor

31 May 2015, 23:37

Yeah, that must have been build by Key Tronic. The switches look like it, the legends look like it and the M/N ("Manufacturer's Number"?) is in Key Tronic's format.

sparky

01 Jun 2015, 09:09

Findecanor wrote: Yeah, that must have been build by Key Tronic. The switches look like it, the legends look like it and the M/N ("Manufacturer's Number"?) is in Key Tronic's format.
Now that you mention it... I have another, no-name, regular PC layout keyboard around, the insides of which are clearly identified as Key Tronic. Not only did they look similar, it even gave a rubber sleeve to the Sun.

So, you're absolutely right, it's most likely Key Tronic-made.

andrewjoy

01 Jun 2015, 10:51

nice little board. I assume it feels better than the type 5 ?

the sun type 5 is one of them boards i wish had better switches as it looks bloody gorgeous.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

01 Jun 2015, 15:07

Yeah this looks like a pretty great board. I have seen way to many sun rubber domes in places.

sparky

01 Jun 2015, 18:19

andrewjoy wrote: nice little board. I assume it feels better than the type 5 ?

the sun type 5 is one of them boards i wish had better switches as it looks bloody gorgeous.
Yes, it's firmer and clickier than the Type 5. As I mentioned, I'm a buckling springs user, so while I wouldn't dare say they are comparable in any way, I find the Type 4 is still quite comfortable to type on. Much less force (than BS) to actuate the switch, obviously, but not too light either. The spacing of the keys also feels better, I always tend to over-reach with the Type 5 and 6.

Not only does the Type 5 look good, it also has a very interesting layout. Before I got the Type 4, It inspired me to consider creating a Sun-like keyboard with Matias switches ;)

Return to “Gallery”