Dolch PAC keyboard

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

03 Jun 2015, 09:55

I think many of you know the board from the Interesting Finds thread. With the help of HzFaq who was so kind so drive to the seller and personally pick up this beauty (I can not thank him enough :D ) I managed to get my hands on this beauty, and for a good price too :D.
I must admit that I was more excited about getting this board than I was when I got my NIB SSK.
Spoiler:
The board is in an amazing shape, like it got never used, or at least only a few times. The caps have no shine whatsoever, the case has no scratches is more than perfect. Not to mention is ANSI! I just hate that left short ISO Shift :(
Spoiler:
The switches are MX Blue, the older variant where the stem has no notch, also the slider color is a little brighter. I'm not a big fan of MX Blue, in fact the last time I have used them I hated it so much I sold the board, but in a strange way I love how they feel in on the Dolch, the click is more silent and the weight is lighter. I simply love typing on the board.
Spoiler:
Some have wondered if I'm going to pull a GH on this board and start ripping off the caps and switches, well the answer is NO, NO WAY! In fact I didn't even opened the case, it's in a such a good shape I didn't want to ruin the rubber feet and Dolch badge on the back. The only "sacrilege" I have made was to swap the Esc cap with a BroBot I got from Madhias, I have also swapped the top of the switch with a Nixie Black clear top (HzFaq was so nice to send me 2 of those switches ;) )
Spoiler:
Unlike classic Cherry 1800 boards the case on Dolch is flat, is has no angle, but it has some feet you can use to tilt the board, this makes it very nice to type on. The ribs on the Dolch case give a very nice industrial look.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Unlike everything I have read on the Wiki and on other sources this board didn't came with a RJ11 plug (6P6C) but instead it has a RJ10 (4P4C). Before I got the board my plan was to swap the whole original cable with a normal PS/2 one, but after I saw how nice the board is I decided to try something else, as I didn't want to modd the board in any way.
Spoiler:
Waiting for the board I made a first adapter using a RJ11 socket from a ADLS filter only to realize when I got the Dolch that the board has RJ10 :lol: Lucky me I had a RJ10 socket in one of my boxes with stuff I keep just in case, so I made quickly an adapter. The Dolch board speaks PS/2 , only the plug is different
Spoiler:
I had also an ID Innovations PS/2 to USB active adapter I have bought some time ago from http://techkeys.us that works like a charm :)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm not really happy with the adapter I have made, I like a clean look, this one works fine, but it looks too improvised and I just can't be happy with it. I have already ordered the parts for a new improved version. As soon as I have everything I need I will make the new one and I will post photos :)

Just in case someone is interested here are the pin-outs for the Dolch connector, it doesn't make a difference if the plug is RJ11 or RJ10 as pins 1 and 6 are not used.
Spoiler:
dolchkb.png
dolchkb.png (151.98 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
ps2-keyboard-vhdl-design-tutorial-3-728.jpg
ps2-keyboard-vhdl-design-tutorial-3-728.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
As a conclusion I really love this board, I have been typing on it for the last few days and it's a pleasure. Also the layout is very nice, I find 1800 layout better than TKL, the arrow position is better and you also have a numpad (not that I need one :D ) for the same footprint. I must say that the board is also very compact, I have lived under the impression that Dolch keyboards are big, at least that is the conclusion you take looking at the photos, but in reality it is surprisingly compact.
60% are still number one for me, but from time to time typing on Dolch is like a breath of fresh air. I know all the IBM Buckling/Model F/Beamspring fans will frown now but I like the Dolch keyboard more than my SSK. Sorry but this is the truth :D

Again BIIIIGGGGGG thanks to HzFaq for helping me get a board I have wished to own for a long time :)

Stabilized

03 Jun 2015, 11:46

Great find and fantastic condition!
Great pictures as well, I personally would prefer it without the spoiler tags as it's in pictures & videos so I expect to have a post laden with pictures ;)

I have to admit that I would be the same if/when I get my hands on one; I wouldn't have the heart to rip out any of it as I really like aesthetic of the whole board. Also 1800 layout has to be one of my favourite layouts as well, for the same reason of the arrow keys being closer to the alphas; allows me to seamlessly slide between my FC660C and my Raptor K1.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Jun 2015, 11:53

awesome find DanielT! I am shocked to see own something other than 60%. ;) Really nice. Dolch`s are some of the best looking keyboards imo.

DanielT

03 Jun 2015, 11:55

@Stabilized: I hate the spoiler tags myself, but on the other hand with so many big photos it might cause problems loading for some people. I have heard complains about this in the past :)
@seebart: Well for Dolch I can make an exception :P It's a beautiful board and I just had to own one :)

Khers

03 Jun 2015, 12:34

Very nice board! I saw it on ebay when It was posted in Great/Interesting Finds, but did not get the impression it was such a well kept board. Congratulations on a very nice board indeed!

DanielT

03 Jun 2015, 13:32

Lucky me more people thought that the board is not in a such good shape :D

derzemel

03 Jun 2015, 13:36

Congratulations!!! It is looks practically NIB :mrgreen:

I have also become very interested lately to get my paws on a DOLCH keyboard, even if I dislike MX-Blues (but I may learn to appreciate them :P)

DanielT

03 Jun 2015, 13:40

The switches are PCB mounted to swapping the switches is not such a big deal ;) It's harder to find a Dolch board ...

HzFaq

03 Jun 2015, 13:45

I think this should be filed under "gambled and won" :D.

Nice pictures mate, I'm glad it went to someone that is going to show it the love it never got in it's previous life (the seller found it in the server room of a building that had been empty for 5+ years when he was preping it for demolition).

DanielT

03 Jun 2015, 13:58

HzFaq wrote: I think this should be filed under "gambled and won" :D.

Nice pictures mate, I'm glad it went to someone that is going to show it the love it never got in it's previous life (the seller found it in the server room of a building that had been empty for 5+ years when he was preping it for demolition).
That is a cool story :) I like when a board I get has a little story behind ;) I love the board a lot, today I had a troubleshooting call, and I was typing command after command on the Dolch when one of the guys in the bridge stopped and asked what's that funny clicky noise in the background :lol:

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 19:21

Congrats!
Beautiful board! I had considered getting it, but the cost was more than what I could afford at the time!
It sure went to good hands!

HzFaq

03 Jun 2015, 22:06

...and here is his older, slightly scruffier, slightly stupider (the arrow keys and nav cluster all send numpad scancodes) PAC60 ISO brother.

This was after a pretty massive clean session, I'm not sure what it was coated in but it was pretty grim...
Attachments
20150603_205010.jpg
20150603_205010.jpg (385.97 KiB) Viewed 6475 times

beltet

03 Jun 2015, 22:58

Wow! Nice find!

DanielT

04 Jun 2015, 09:41

HzFaq wrote: ...and here is his older, slightly scruffier, slightly stupider (the arrow keys and nav cluster all send numpad scancodes) PAC60 ISO brother.

This was after a pretty massive clean session, I'm not sure what it was coated in but it was pretty grim...
Oh the poor thing :( I think that the fuzzy padding from inside the bag got loose and got stuck on the poor case :(
At least the caps look in good shape. I think some plastic polish could revive the case, some time ago I have done that on some plastic parts for my car, can't remember the name of the product but it did a nice job, I have to search a little.

acolombo

04 Jun 2015, 21:34

HzFaq wrote: ...and here is his older, slightly scruffier, slightly stupider (the arrow keys and nav cluster all send numpad scancodes) PAC60 ISO brother.

This is the first time I like an ISO version more than it's countepart ANSI version.

Apart from the conditions, I think the black ISO Enter looks beatiful in comparison with the grey |\ in the ANSI board, as it breaks the continuity of the black modifiers which sorrounded so well the alphas...

Anyway, two lovely boards. I still have to understand how do you other people like linear switches more than clicky ones :evil:

zts

07 Jun 2015, 00:13

what a beautiful board ... and in such a "NIB-like" condition. Glad it found a great home!

DanielT

12 Jun 2015, 10:43

And the final part for the Dolch keyboard is done:
Spoiler:
I bought a RJ10-RJ10 extender, used a PS/2 cable from a rubberdome with a RJ10 connector on one end and that's it. This way it looks clean and I didn't alter the keyboard in any way :D With this extender at some point I can attach also a Teensy and make a converter (TMK or Soarer). But so far the ID Innovations PS/2-USB works great, it has a clean look the cable is long enough, I'm really happy with this :)
The keyboard is a real pleasure to type on, the layout is very comfortable and the vintage blue switches are really nice. I love this board a lot ! :D

seebart

12 Jun 2015, 11:06

Nice Daniel. This is your gateway to fullsize. Forget 60% ! :evilgeek:

DanielT

12 Jun 2015, 13:39

seebart wrote: Nice Daniel. This is your gateway to fullsize. Forget 60% ! :evilgeek:
I don't think you will see me soon using a battleship :P I still love 60% , the Dolch is an exception ;)

seebart

12 Jun 2015, 13:40

I'm joking of course. That's a nice size, like that Unitech K959 I recently got.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/uni ... 10848.html

DanielT

12 Jun 2015, 14:02

That Unitech is a really nice board, quite a find :) I've been really busy these days and didn't had the time to enjoy the new finds :)

pwnnarwhal

12 Jun 2015, 15:15

Nice Dolch, and it looks to be in nice condition. I like mine the most out of any board I have ever used

Return to “Gallery”