NMB/HiTek RT-101 - ANSI Clicky Space Invaders in green!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Jun 2015, 18:11

This weekend I jumped on an opportunity. Listed just two hours prior, an eBay auction for this keyboard appeared in my saved searches. Having never seen one quite like it before I knew it would probably not stick around for long.

Well it arrived today, and it is beautiful. I am typing on it right now using a PS/2 to USB adapter (not Soarer's, some other one). It gets at least 6KRO (that is the adapter's limitation). To truly be a daily driver it will need a disassembly, thorough cleaning with IPA, and some lubrication. But this one is worth the effort.

The keys (apart from the stickiness that will disappear after a cleaning) are light and clicky, but not too light, and not too clicky. They feel most like a light Alps switch but without as much wobble.

The seller was even kind enough to give me a few switches, just in case.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves. https://goo.gl/photos/bEMipDR1TWaZiqQB7 or see below. These are just a few quick snapshots on the front porch before I go run some errands.

gogusrl

25 Jun 2015, 19:05

/insert reddit meme
"Posts 6 pics, no closeup of the keycaps..."

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Jun 2015, 20:07

I said I was in a hurry. I see a request for key cap closeups. Any other photos you would like? :-)

gogusrl

25 Jun 2015, 20:16

I have so many that it would probably easier to send the board to me for a full inspection and I might return it somedayyyy....

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 20:30

ANSI space invader hoarder!

Just out of interest of course, how much was it?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Jun 2015, 22:55

Are many space invaders ANSI?

Also, they are actually pleasant to type on? I heard some different opinions from some users on reddit.

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 23:00

Redmaus wrote: Are many space invaders ANSI?
Nope. They're mostly Big Ass Enter. Which is a shame, because that layout's a crime!

I've got an ISO model. Which is actually the only one I've ever seen. Andy's got an ANSI, and XMIT's got two now. While all of us have one or more Big Ass versions too…
Also, they are actually pleasant to type on?
Yes. The clickies are excellent. Check out what I wrote about them. The linears are meant to be mighty fine as well.

But then I've heard the tactiles are shite.
I heard some different opinions from some users on reddit.
That so, huh? Who'd have guessed…

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Jun 2015, 23:09

Apparently I bought this keyboard from fohat (GH user fohat.digs). Supposedly there was a For Sale listing over there (though I could not find it). Boy do I feel dumb.

Edited: fohat.digs is active as fohat here on DT.

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 23:11

That's GH! Fohat would have had more luck listing it over here. I think DT's got more space invaders fans than anywhere else.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Jun 2015, 23:48

These are for gogusrl. I'm experimenting with macro photography using an 18-105mm DX zoom lens at 105mm (about 160mm FX 35mm equivalent).
DSC_0715.jpg
DSC_0715.jpg (426.19 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
DSC_0722.jpg
DSC_0722.jpg (348.82 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2015, 13:28

A bit awkward isn't it? The lens I mean. The only difference you feel with a macro is the minimum focal distance. You can get so much closer in. Still an awkward long prime though! If you get a long one.

Not that there's anything wrong with a long prime. I love my borrowed 200 mm f/2.8L. But it's completely useless for keyboard work. Unless an eagle caught one and is flying off with it!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

26 Jun 2015, 13:31

Nope, this was an 18-105mm DX (half frame) zoom lens. The minimum focal distance was about 20-30cm.

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2015, 13:41

That's what I mean. Any long lens gives you a weak taste of life with a macro. In particular the focal length constraint on composition.

Your shots would be a lot closer in with the real thing!

dorkvader

28 Jun 2015, 08:22

i know that some people (fohat) dont like the font but I really like it.

remember: the font is not to make you know which key is which, the font is there to look pretty when you're not using the KB.

---
I would like to note that most PCBs support both enter key configurations, but the plate and keycaps on this unit are what make it unique.

Glad this one stayed in the community.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2015, 14:50

dorkvader wrote: I would like to note that most PCBs support both enter key configurations, but the plate and keycaps on this unit are what make it unique.
O really? That could be sweet news indeed for my planned Big Ass Enter fullsize >> ANSI space invader TKL project.

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/so ... 81-30.html

The caps will be hard to source. (I'm hoping on Rsbseb for that) but the chop looks eminently doable. Says I, who hasn't even opened up the case to really look! It's one of my Christmas projects when I'm next over.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 Jun 2015, 15:11

That answered a question I had for you (when are you next coming to visit?). I'll see about sneaking out for a couple of days to say hello. I may get to bring littleXMIT with me.

I'll be sure to get plenty of PCB photos when I open up the board. That will probably be my project in 2-3 weekends from now.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2015, 15:16

Southern California in the holiday season any good for you? That's when I'm next there. Did think of trying to get to Texas last time, for Cindy's great weekened of reckoning, but there was no way that's compatible with my brother keeping his job at that kind of notice!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 Jun 2015, 15:36

Eh, it's not great, but there are cheap flights. I have another friend in San Diego I've been meaning to see.

Return to “Gallery”