The Sasse 200MN Keyswitch

FrodeM

12 Nov 2015, 03:07

The Tiki-100 was a computer made and sold in Norway from around 1984 to the late 80s. Being designed by people who used to work for Norsk Data and Tandberg Data, it was originally intended for this machine to use Siemens STB 11 keyswitches like the Tandberg terminals. However, as this was too expensive the team decided to go for cheaper Siemens-keycap compatible switches. According to the technical reference manual the choice landed on the Sasse 200MN.

As you can see in from the pictures, there is a plastic bar that is pushed sideways by the slider to actuate the switch. This mechanism gives the switch very interesting characteristics. It's linear, as the spring is the main counterforce at all times. However, at the actuation point the force requiered to push the plastic bar sideways and additional friction is added. The result is a split linear curve, starting out as a regular linear switch but bumps up to almost 100cN if you want to push it to and past the actuation point. From there it continues linearly, but with the added friction. Needless to say, it has a very "springy" feel to it, and it's pretty heavy and not really suited for touch-typing. On the other hand, if you have an application where you need to hold keys down for some time or if you like to slam the keys as you type, then it's actually pretty good.
Attachments
Switch base and trigger mechanism
Switch base and trigger mechanism
RIMG0735 - Copy.JPG (506.45 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Slider and Spring
Slider and Spring
RIMG 0739 - Copy.JPG (620.84 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
An overview of the keyswitch
An overview of the keyswitch
RIMG0741 - Copy.JPG (616.92 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Nov 2015, 18:09

Welcome to DT!

Seeing this just now, very interesting find. Thank you for sharing. I will add this keyswitch to our wiki if you don't mind. The keycaps remind me of siemens or RAFI.

Chyros

15 Nov 2015, 18:34

Very interesting, thanks for putting this up! I see it's even got diodes in it.

Touch_It

18 Nov 2015, 23:59

I want a HJELP key. :D Also, something just intrigues me about the shape of the switch.

Thanks for sharing

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2015, 03:38

Very nice macro shots. Does the force curve kick up just before actuation, or after it? I'm trying to picture typing on either!

The computer in question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiki_100

FrodeM

19 Nov 2015, 17:44

The force kicks up just BEFORE actuation. The secondary horizontal slider has to move first for the switch to make physical contact, and that requires the mentioned force. Not good for touch-type!

That picture on Wikipedia is actually one of my machines! The exact unit in the picture is one of the few with the actual Siemens switches (as intended from the designer's standpoint) instead of Sasse.

Return to “Gallery”