Kishsaver Photothread!

rindorbrot

18 Feb 2014, 19:35

My Kishsaver is completed now and working thanks to Hasu's converter code.

I think it would be cool to have a thread were we can show our Kishsavers off, similar to the SSK and Poker threads!

So here is mine:

As you can see I have put on ISO DE keycaps on it and the case is repainted.
After consulting webwit I decided to go with RAL 7030 "Stonegrey", which should be pretty close to IBM's industrial color.

So let's see how your Kishsavers ended looking like!
Last edited by rindorbrot on 18 Feb 2014, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2014, 19:37

Nicely done. And what did you do with the cable? None of them came with nice black ones like that.

rindorbrot

18 Feb 2014, 19:45

Yes, that is not the stock cable.
It is a cable from some front audio headers of an old PC case.
I just cut half of the plug at the end off and it just fits in the blue socket of the Kishy.
And just short out of the picture the cable breaks away onto the Teensy.

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2014, 19:54

I'm looking to replace my cable too, but with USB, with the Teensy inside the Kishsaver's case. There's enough room in there for my breadboard so I can reuse things if I go with the replacement controller. But I haven't found / hacked a suitable replacement to fit inside that blue socket yet.

rindorbrot

18 Feb 2014, 19:58

Any internal USB/Audio plug should fit it.

I was thinking about putting the Teensy on the inside, but I don't ave a Mini USB cable that I can/want to attach to it permanently.
So I opted for the external Teensy ;)

Here is how the connector looks now if you are interested.

Kurk

18 Feb 2014, 20:43

Looking good! Did you do any sanding before painting? Did you paint it with a spray can?

rindorbrot

18 Feb 2014, 20:44

I didn't do it myself, I had an car paint shop do it.

Kurk

18 Feb 2014, 21:05

Ah, smart thinking. I consider having mine powder-coated.

photekq
Cherry Picker

18 Feb 2014, 23:42

Paintjob looks great. Did you need to do any modding to get a proper ISO layout like that?

nourathar

19 Feb 2014, 01:09

aha, it seems I've been missing the updates on the teensification of this beauty, expecting them to show up in the Workshop subforum; i'm too square ! :idea:
great paint job !

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2014, 01:32

Hasu has experimental Kishsaver converter support in his TMK firmware now. It's not perfect (as it polls quite slowly and can miss repeated letters) but it's a great bit of detective work that gets around the missing break codes problem that these beasts share. Well worth hooking up and trying it out.

Now I know my Kishsaver needs TLC on the S and quote keys.

Thanks for the connector tip, Rindorbrot. I'm now seeking spares from my PC friends. None of my computers have headers like that; as my keyboards may be IBMs but my machines are Macs!

nourathar

19 Feb 2014, 01:51

Muirium wrote:Hasu has experimental Kishsaver converter support in his TMK firmware now. It's not perfect (as it polls quite slowly and can miss repeated letters) but it's a great bit of detective work that gets around the missing break codes problem that these beasts share. Well worth hooking up and trying it out.
thanks for the update, I just read the relevant thread, great work indeed !
I'm sort of dreaming to attach this to a tablet: a weightless computer with a massive metal 3kg keyboard !
Kurk wrote:Ah, smart thinking. I consider having mine powder-coated.
that's a really good idea, actually; there are not that many keyboards that have that option !

rindorbrot

19 Feb 2014, 06:54

photekq wrote:Paintjob looks great. Did you need to do any modding to get a proper ISO layout like that?
Not anymore as on other IBM boards. Basically it is just a matter of putting the springs were you want them. The PCB and barrel plate are universal for ISO + ANSI.

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2014, 10:10

Got any tips for going inside? I've never opened up a Model F's layer sandwich. I have bolt modded an M, though. The foam layer's edge tells ms it could be messy.

rindorbrot

19 Feb 2014, 10:43

Oh the horror! The foam will disintegrate just by looking at it!
To open the internal part you just have to bend the tab at the top right corner a bit outwards (Viewing from the back of it).
Then just slide the whole barrel plate to the side. Then it is opened.

But remove the keycaps first, else the springs have tension and will jump out of the board.
Then you'd have to sort them back in.

mr_a500

23 Feb 2014, 20:54

rindorbrot wrote: So here is mine:
Very nice. The colour matches the darker keycaps quite nicely.

I wonder what it would look like unpainted - just leaving it bare metal. That's probably how I'd have mine.. if I can ever get one of these things.

scottc

23 Feb 2014, 21:00

Wow, looks stunning. I'm really impressed with how well it looks with a nice new set of caps and a paint job. Great work!

JBert

24 Feb 2014, 20:36

Muirium wrote:Got any tips for going inside? I've never opened up a Model F's layer sandwich. I have bolt modded an M, though. The foam layer's edge tells ms it could be messy.
Check out my workshop thread: Model F improvement: (dis)assembly tips and Space bar mod. It describes the procedure for an XT or AT model F and links to picture threads on GeekHack. I guess much also applies here.

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2014, 23:16

Cool, thanks for the link. I'll read up on this when I can, and before I break anything.

lowpoly

25 Feb 2014, 10:11

Yummy! Want. Good decision to have it professionally painted.
rindorbrot wrote:After consulting webwit I decided to go with RAL 7030 "Stonegrey", which should be pretty close to IBM's industrial color.
RAL can be difficult to match, sometimes there are just not enough colors. There's an NCS color fan (sigma chroma g) here in case someone wants to try again.

dustinhxc

22 Mar 2014, 19:56

rindorbrot wrote:My Kishsaver is completed now and working thanks to Hasu's converter code.

I think it would be cool to have a thread were we can show our Kishsavers off, similar to the SSK and Poker threads!

So here is mine:

As you can see I have put on ISO DE keycaps on it and the case is repainted.
After consulting webwit I decided to go with RAL 7030 "Stonegrey", which should be pretty close to IBM's industrial color.

So let's see how your Kishsavers ended looking like!
Mmmm this may be the cleanest one Ive seen yet.. Beautiful job sir! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

20 May 2014, 00:46

Mine's a bit more presentable now. Like Rindor, I've modified the layout.

But this one really works! That USB cable is no illusion. Now with Xwhatsit inside!

mr_a500

20 May 2014, 02:29

Awesome. Now that you've got it converted, I think I'll make a visit to Scotland to steal it... and possibly some of your other keyboards, including the Honeywell.

Let me just get into my cat burglar suit...

rindorbrot

15 Jun 2014, 04:22

No one else who wants to present their Kishs? :(

Icarium

16 Jun 2014, 08:26

Get me one and I'll take as many pictures as you like. :D

snoopy

16 Jul 2014, 21:32

Work in progress...

Powdercoated in RAL 7021 (also known as Panzergrau or Wehrmachtsgrau) It's a very dark grey and looks awesome in real.
Kishsaver RAL 7021
Kishsaver RAL 7021
IMG_2056.JPG (480.13 KiB) Viewed 19172 times

rindorbrot

16 Jul 2014, 21:40

PAAANZER! haha, they will wreck all your other boards when they are finished ;)

scottc

16 Jul 2014, 21:41

Snoopy, I'll sell you my soul for your second kish...

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2014, 17:37

I will sell you my soul and i will steal as many as you like and sell you them as well it looks amazing !

Grond

30 Jul 2014, 18:39

Dark grey looks badass!

Return to “Gallery”