Cherry G80-2500HAU/02 in Polish

scottc

05 May 2014, 11:42

Hey all,

So I just got this very attractive keyboard. It's a G80-2500 with Polish layout, and NIB condition, though without the original box.

Some pictures (apologies for the poor quality, only available camera is a Nexus 4):

Front view:

Normal doubleshot key - front:

Normal doubleshot key - back:

Normal doubleshot vs. Polish letter key - front:

Normal doubleshot vs. Polish letter key - back:

The interesting thing is that while most of the keys are doubleshot, it seems that the extra Polish keys are dyesubbed or pad-printed.I don't see any indication of them being pad-printed, so I assume dyesub.
Last edited by scottc on 14 Nov 2018, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

05 May 2014, 11:53

I'm no expert, but for what it's worth, I'd say dye sub. They're good and dark, like the double shots, and a little blurry, like dye sub tends to be, up close. Just a hunch though.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 May 2014, 11:58

I'm no expert, but for what it's worth, I'd say rather pad printed :mrgreen:
Dyesubs use to be less dark than doubleshots.
And I think the pic is blurry, not the character on the cap :lol:

Nice board all the same.

Edit: have a look in the spoiler in this post

scottc

05 May 2014, 12:07

Muirium wrote:I'm no expert, but for what it's worth, I'd say dye sub. They're good and dark, like the double shots, and a little blurry, like dye sub tends to be, up close. Just a hunch though.
Those were my thoughts too. Glad that someone agrees!
kbdfr wrote:I'm no expert, but for what it's worth, I'd say rather pad printed :mrgreen:
Dyesubs use to be less dark than doubleshots.
And I think the pic is blurry, not the character on the cap :lol:
Yes, this is true. I've tried to take some clearer pictures. The Polish caps are definitely blurrier than the others, most obvious when looking at the difference between the L and Ł keys:

I can't see the usual square around the keys that comes with normal pad-printing, which is why I initially assumed dyesub.

These vintage blacks are really the smoothest Cherry switches I've ever used: they really live up to their hype. In a side-by-side comparison with a regular MX black, the difference in feel is noticeable. There's no noticeable scratchiness at all in the vintage switch.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 May 2014, 14:40

Wiki stub page: [wiki]Cherry G80-2500[/wiki]

photekq
Cherry Picker

05 May 2014, 14:42

Beautiful board scott! Is this your first G80?

scottc

05 May 2014, 14:47

Thanks, photekq! No, it's not my first G80. I have a normal G80-1800 around too. But it's much newer, and winkeyed with lasered caps so it's nowhere near as nice as this one.

Daniel: Should I upload these pictures to the Wiki?

tinnie

05 May 2014, 14:59

You should.

scottc

05 May 2014, 15:32

Done.

Josh

05 May 2014, 17:40

it's nice :)

7bit

08 May 2014, 22:40

Great find!

Please take a picture of the backside sticker.

scottc

09 May 2014, 09:47

How silly of me to forget. Here it is:

Also added to the wiki page.

scottc

26 Jun 2014, 16:14

I just got a second of these beauties in the post!

This one is far more interesting, still packaged in a box (!!!), and slightly dirtier:

The box doesn't have the large Cherry printing on the front, so I'm not sure if it's the original.
Edit: tinnie tells me that it's an original box! :D

What it does have, however, is this interesting little sticker:

IvanIvanovich

26 Jun 2014, 16:34

I also have one of these, but I have not been able to get it to be recognized. It seems to speak 3270 protocol according to the info I have on it. Have you had any success using yours on any modern PC?

tinnie

26 Jun 2014, 16:42

Ivan: You have to swap the controller.

Prelim

09 Jan 2015, 13:24

is that capslock center stem?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Jan 2015, 13:26

what a beauty scottc!

scottc

09 Jan 2015, 13:35

Thank you, seebart! I actually have two now, though neither of them work. My G80-1800 at work is wearing pretty Polish caps, at least. :D

I'm sorry but I didn't see anyone's replies before. :( I was away at the time and not regularly checking DT so I missed them.
Prelim wrote: is that capslock center stem?
Yep!
IvanIvanovich wrote: I also have one of these, but I have not been able to get it to be recognized. It seems to speak 3270 protocol according to the info I have on it. Have you had any success using yours on any modern PC?
I never got mine working. I tried Soarer's converter but had no luck.

Prelim

09 Jan 2015, 13:45

scottc wrote:
Prelim wrote: is that capslock center stem?
Yep!
wow, that's really nice... I'm struggling to find a Cherry beige center stem capslock, do you know any other models that may have it like that?

scottc

09 Jan 2015, 13:49

If you check the wiki article for this keyboard, there's a related link for "full-touch caps lock" - you could try that. Also, have you tried techkeys.us? I got a black center-stemmed stepped capslock in Cherry style from there through a sale on DT, and Medowy got a beige one. I think they're GMK-made.

http://techkeys.us/collections/keys/pro ... d-capslock

As far as I know, no original Cherry keyboards had stepped, center-stemmed caps locks but I could be wrong. Maybe Ivan or Photekq or someone else more knowledgeable about Cherry boards could tell you for sure.

HzFaq

09 Jan 2015, 14:13

Oooo, I forgot about this. Going to dig up that allegro log in :D.

Also, I'm pretty sure that no Cherry board had a center-stemmed stepped caps-lock - the off-center stem is to allow for the step.

scottc

09 Jan 2015, 14:39

HzFaq wrote: Oooo, I forgot about this. Going to dig up that allegro log in :D.

Also, I'm pretty sure that no Cherry board had a center-stemmed stepped caps-lock - the off-center stem is to allow for the step.
The seller seems to have nothing left, or at least he hasn't uploaded anything in the past few months. :(

HzFaq

09 Jan 2015, 14:45

Nuts, snoozed and lost :(.

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Jan 2015, 15:00

Try G80-3190HPU/HDU prelim :)

7bit

09 Jan 2015, 15:38

Seems like it had been changed to Polish layout after production.
:o

I'm not sure what letter they would have used for Polish layout, because P is for Portugal.
:?

ps:
Spoiler:
The shittier the camera, the shittier the ability to scale and image!
:mad:

scottc

09 Jan 2015, 15:52

I don't claim to be a master photographer, 7bit. :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Jan 2015, 16:09

Prelim wrote: […] I'm struggling to find a Cherry beige center stem capslock, do you know any other models that may have it like that?
Have a look there:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/121539905569

I have a similar one, but with a small round LED window (I could imagine a trade if you have interesting somewhat unusual vintage Cherry caps):
Access-IS windowed CapsLock.jpg
Access-IS windowed CapsLock.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Other than that, you can find them (but IIRC not in the darker tone) on Alcatel boards:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alcatel

Prelim

09 Jan 2015, 16:13

scottc wrote: If you check the wiki article for this keyboard, there's a related link for "full-touch caps lock" - you could try that. Also, have you tried techkeys.us? I got a black center-stemmed stepped capslock in Cherry style from there through a sale on DT, and Medowy got a beige one. I think they're GMK-made.

http://techkeys.us/collections/keys/pro ... d-capslock

As far as I know, no original Cherry keyboards had stepped, center-stemmed caps locks but I could be wrong. Maybe Ivan or Photekq or someone else more knowledgeable about Cherry boards could tell you for sure.
those are SP... I'm pretty sure of that. They don't have a black on beige, which is what I need.
photekq wrote: Try G80-3190HPU/HDU prelim :)
thanks! but that model is even more rare and hard to find! :( (and I just want the capslock lol). We need urgently for a GMK moogle kit GB (both on beige and WoB) as it never happened AFAIK... the current Ivan's beige modifiers GB it's been a flop cause most of the people only need moogle kits or spacebars.

Return to “Gallery”