NCR 3077 Leeku build log

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 Jun 2014, 03:43

Some photos of my latest keyboard. It's taken about 6 months to source the parts for this. Totally worth it. These photos are resized. For full size photos please see the album on my flickr account. It's not really a full build log, since there wasn't much to do other than mod the switches, solder on diodes and solder on switches.

Here are the parts :
Spoiler:
The MXALPS-30XX PCB designed by Leeku. Meant to fit in Cherry G80/G81-3XXX cases.

NCR Logo

NCR branded G81-3077SAU case

Label

Nixdorf black

Sprits gold plated 65g spring

Throughhole diodes from G80 switches

Old Cherry PCB-mount stabilisers that use screws to mount

Lightly used ANSI doubleshots from a G81-3000HAU variant

Coiled PS2 cable from Cherry G81-3011HBG
A few pictures mid-build :
Spoiler:
Soldering a diode to the SMD pads. I did this incase I ever need to desolder all the switches. Saves me from desoldering 4 pins per switch.

Switches soldered on. Stabilisers installed. Stabilisers lubed with GPL205/103 mix. Springs seated.

-

Switches closed up.

PCB installed in the case.

Windowed esc-row Cherry logo key taken from G80-2000HAD.
The finished build :
Spoiler:

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoyed.

Topre Enthusiast

11 Jun 2014, 04:01

Beautiful! Nice work.
Where did you find the PCB? Is the white line near the numpad intended to guide someone who wants to cut for a tenkeyless?

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 Jun 2014, 04:08

A member of the Korean communities sold me two of the PCBs. He had them left over from a group buy he did.

I'm not sure why the white line's there, although I seriously doubt it's to help you cut the numpad off. If you look at the PCB photo you can see that you'd be cutting the end off a bunch of traces.

bazh

11 Jun 2014, 04:16

I want a leeku :(

Hak Foo

11 Jun 2014, 04:36

I think that the Leeku concept is really smart.

The Korean Custom boards are spectacular, but you end up spending as much money for the case as for the PCB+switches+caps.

Using the widely available Cherry cases lets you have a working board cheap, and then they could probably sell an aftermarket case for those who really wanted one.

I am a little surprised at the lock switch position options-- there's "far left", like Cherry, "1.5x in a 1.75x spot", but no "centered"

Dubsgalore

11 Jun 2014, 05:21

Absolutely stunning, great job bro!

Those juicy doubleshots in the final product section... :o

Medowy

11 Jun 2014, 14:54

Damn photekq! You always deliver the best Cherry swag :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Jun 2014, 15:05

I'd rather not know which keyboards had to bleed to allow you to make this one.
Don't tell me you took the Escape key from... yes, from exactly "that one"... :shock:

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 Jun 2014, 15:44

kbdfr wrote:I'd rather not know which keyboards had to bleed to allow you to make this one.
Don't tell me you took the Escape key from... yes, from exactly "that one"... :shock:
Don't worry, the only Cherry keyboards that were killed to make this were G81s! The case is from a G81, the keycaps are from a G81 (except the lock keys - those are from a set of G80-1191 keycaps I bought ages ago), the PCB is a custom one, and _that_ key was only put on there for photos. I can't bring myself to tear it away from the 2000 for more than 30 minutes! :lol:

Madhias
BS TORPE

12 Jun 2014, 14:20

Really beautiful pictures, it's always a joy to see your builds. _That_ key is a super rare one?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jun 2014, 14:43

I don't want to be the last one to praise photekq's photos. Awesome!

And @madhias, yes, the "Escape row profile Cherry key" is more than rare.
Apparently only the G80-2000 and the first generation G80-2100 (not the quite usual later model) had it.
I know of only one remaining keyboard of each.

photekq
Cherry Picker

12 Jun 2014, 16:24

kbdfr, quite a while ago there was also a small group buy run through Cherry on one of the Korean communities for remakes of the esc-row Cherry windowed keys - an example. I'm not too sure on the details - maybe someone else could fill us in. Almost all of them that exist are from that group buy.

I also think there are a few 2000s about in Asia (at least one 2000HAU, which still even has its box!). The first gen. 2100 is definitely the rarer of the two I think.

Thanks for the compliments madhias and everyone else who has commented!

REVENGE

18 Jun 2014, 00:53

Excellent work, it looks like a great build!

Also, in thanking me, you must thank Parak for posting that great NCR find all those years ago! 8-)

leeku

16 Jul 2014, 04:37

Good to see this here!!

Return to “Gallery”