Old NTC brochure

lowpoly

08 Jul 2014, 11:17

Hi,

scans of an old NTC brochure. I didn't google the FTC numbers but it should be from a CeBit visit in the late eighties/early nineties.

http://www.frs635.com/keyboard/ntc000hires.jpg

http://www.frs635.com/keyboard/ntc001hires.jpg

Note the "Delet" key and no web address.

Grrr, just realized there's something cut off at the bottom. Scanned it like 5 times until it wasn't overlit anymore and then this.
Last edited by lowpoly on 01 Jun 2018, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.

lowpoly

08 Jul 2014, 19:57

lowpoly wrote: Grrr, just realized there's something cut off at the bottom. Scanned it like 5 times until it wasn't overlit anymore and then this.
Fixed.

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Jul 2014, 23:34

FCC ID lookup is here, if you need it: http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/ — I reference that a lot.

It's interesting that they claim to have "NTC" mechanical switches. All evidence so far indicates that the switches are from Himake, which means that they were passing off Himake switches as their own, or that they owned Himake, or that they were making very similar switches.

I can't ask Nan Tan as they're long gone (part of Clevo now, apparently).

It's also interesting that they list pairs of switches side by side. My suspicion is that Ortek offered two price tiers, SX (genuine Alps) and FX (Alps clones), so maybe that's what Nan Tan were doing with the KB-6151: Alps or "NTC". But what about Omron and Futaba, being both Japanese? Why would anyone choose one over the other? Having never used a keyboard with either switch, I cannot even speculate.

(It may be that the clone switches are all unbranded for a reason: to willingly allow for companies who want to claim they made them, like Strong Man did with anything they could get their hands on that wasn't branded.)

The KB-5060N looks really nice — just add two more F keys, Windows and Fn (plus a nice Fn layer) and put an ISO enter key on it :)

Nuum

08 Jul 2014, 23:45

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The KB-5060N looks really nice — just add two more F keys, Windows and Fn (plus a nice Fn layer) and put an ISO enter key on it :)
Yes, indeed that would be awesome! I somehow like this IBM PC AT layout.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Jul 2014, 19:20

my KB-6151 does not have those fat directional arrow symbols like the one in the picture.The rest of the caps look the same. I wish mine was new like that. :cry:

rich1051414

01 Feb 2018, 00:43

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: FCC ID lookup is here, if you need it: http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/ — I reference that a lot.

It's interesting that they claim to have "NTC" mechanical switches. All evidence so far indicates that the switches are from Himake, which means that they were passing off Himake switches as their own, or that they owned Himake, or that they were making very similar switches.

I can't ask Nan Tan as they're long gone (part of Clevo now, apparently).

It's also interesting that they list pairs of switches side by side. My suspicion is that Ortek offered two price tiers, SX (genuine Alps) and FX (Alps clones), so maybe that's what Nan Tan were doing with the KB-6151: Alps or "NTC". But what about Omron and Futaba, being both Japanese? Why would anyone choose one over the other? Having never used a keyboard with either switch, I cannot even speculate.

(It may be that the clone switches are all unbranded for a reason: to willingly allow for companies who want to claim they made them, like Strong Man did with anything they could get their hands on that wasn't branded.)

The KB-5060N looks really nice — just add two more F keys, Windows and Fn (plus a nice Fn layer) and put an ISO enter key on it :)
Not sure if more is known now, but I am also confused. I will just link over to the other thread to keep things tidy. keyboards-f2/identify-this-keyboard-thr ... ml#p398893

Return to “Gallery”