Wyse 85 Terminal Keyboard

Compgeke

15 Jul 2014, 00:06

Picked this up for $3 at a thrift store over the weekend. It's missing a few keycaps but it's still usable with what it's missing. The old blacks in this are surprisingly smooth compared to some of the newer blacks I've felt (or the Desko) and double-shot keycaps are nice.

Well, it's not the dirtiest keyboard I've ever come across, that's for sure.

Interesting key lettering colour choices, yellow, blue and black.

Has MX Blacks and cherry stabs. Spacebar and capslock are also plain black switches.

Almost every key is doubleshot. For some reason left control, left shift, page xmit and F15 are lasered.

Opened up it's surprisingly clean.

Wyse-branded PCB.

They actually labeled which each keyswitch position is on the back of the PCB. Kind of a nice touch.

And the case is ABS plastic, made by Loong Sheng on January 28th, 1986.

Being a terminal board I haven't any idea if it works or not yet, I haven't a teensy. It is surprisingly clean compared to the PCE I got at the same time.

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 00:14

Looks in good nick. The plate's a lot cleaner than the Wyse boards I've seen. I bet it works just peach.

Something to try when you do have a Teensy spare:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/wyse ... r's%20wyse

Or indeed one of those cheap "Pro Micro" Teensy clones, which we're experimenting with currently. £5 instead of £15, which could mean a lot more action for converter-dependent boards like this one.

Hypersphere

15 Jul 2014, 00:39

I rather like the look of some of the Wyse boards. I just picked up a cheap Wyse 30; it looks something like the Mac Plus or the HHKB with arrow keys and a NumPad. The Wyse has a pronounced partition separating the num pad from the main part of the board, as if it is begging to be detached with a hacksaw.

Compgeke

15 Jul 2014, 10:59

Alright, a bit of oddities.

it seems that where my Gs Etx key is I should actually have a Compose Character key.

The Xmit Page key should be a "Do" (or D0? I dunno) key.

There's also no label on the bottom nor residue or discolouration where there ever would've been a label. Weirdness.

Edit: Layout differences. Different keys are in red.

Compgeke

16 Jul 2014, 21:05

Alright, got it cleaned up and threw a couple random keycaps on that matched the profile just to protect the stems.

Hypersphere

16 Jul 2014, 22:35

I like the layout and color scheme of the board. It has a sleek industrial look.

Return to “Gallery”