Wyse PCE Terminal Keyboard - Now With Less Human Grime!

Compgeke

17 Jul 2014, 03:20

Picked this up at the same time as the 85 but this one's a fair bit dirtier but at least complete.

As it was when I got it:

Yeah, dead bugs are NEVER a good sign.

Working on cleaning it up:

Cleaned up plate:
I could've done better but this was good enough compared to starting. There's also a bit of rust as well.

Most of the keycaps back on:
Had to go before I could finished, took a quick picture. Currently sitting in a starbucks posting this.

As for the keycaps themselves, they're double-shot ABS in DCS profile as marked inside the caps. I assume they're made by Signature Plastics because of this, although I suppose it's possible that they weren't as the case was made by Loong Sheng.

I'll post a picture of it back in one piece tomorrow, I won't have any light when I get home and I still only have a zoom lens to use.

IvanIvanovich

18 Jul 2014, 02:06

GROSS!
Spoiler:

dorkvader

18 Jul 2014, 21:52

wyse keycaps were made by comptec, who was bought out by SP when SP started.
http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/about_history.html

Such a nice keyboard!

Hypersphere

18 Jul 2014, 22:35

@compgeke: I suppose that dead bugs would be better than live ones! In any event, I like Wyse keyboards. I have a few that are on my waiting list for a good cleaning (and possibly a paint job) before installing Soarer's Wyse converter.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

08 Feb 2015, 20:20

What if you opened it and like 20 cockroaches crawled out

Compgeke

08 Feb 2015, 21:19

That would be just a tad odd. The keyboard was bought from a roach-free thrift store and apparently they had it for over a year. Those would've been some damn tough ones.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

09 Feb 2015, 03:13

Apparently roaches can survive a nuclear holocaust so you never know...

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2015, 05:24

Checked your mattress already? What about the pillows!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Feb 2015, 01:33

Oh no, they're everywhere!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Feb 2015, 01:33

Side note, Muirium, which layout do you type on? Dvorak or qwerty?

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2015, 01:36

Just crappy Qwerty. I've been meaning to switch to Colemak for a while, but the adaptation process is a bit too gruelling for me to keep it up. Thing is, I need to learn to touch type correctly too. I whiz around with only 8 fingers, at best, in Qwerty, through years of untrained habit. I could definitely type better, but getting there is the crux.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Feb 2015, 04:29

Whats your WPM? Mine is about 60 tops unfortunately.

cinnamonrollz

10 Feb 2015, 07:14

compgekes wpm is approximately 112 when tested in 10fastfingers though realistically he hovers around 90. Sincerely, Your friendly neighborhood stalker.

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2015, 12:31

80. I used to be 60 or less on chiclet rubberdomes before I went mech. And I've got spare fingers here so I know I can do better…

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Feb 2015, 13:57

Ah. I would be fine with 80. I wonder when everybody will switch to dvorak?

Return to “Gallery”