Cherry G81-3054HAQ (Greek ANSI doubleshots)

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Jul 2014, 14:17

Got this yesterday. Huge thank you to kbdfr posting it in the great finds thread :) The keycaps are like-new with no shine at all, so I'm very happy with it.

It's just a regular ANSI G81, but the keycaps are really quite interesting. The Greek sub-legends are actually part of the doubleshot (the proof is in the macros). They're not pad printed, unlike most other Cherry doubleshot keys with sub-legends (3000HAV, etc.)

All photos (and extra macros of all Greek keys) in full resolution can be seen here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/115722906@N08/

A few extra photos with brighter, clearer light. Terrible background/composition since I had to take these on my windowsill :lol:
Spoiler:

chzel

23 Jul 2014, 22:23

The keycaps are probably more interesting than you might think.
It is basically a Greek layout with a twist, the sub-legend of "W" should be "ς" (lower-case in word-final position sigma).
Instead it's a letter that is not in the Greek alphabet, but appears in the Turkish alphabet.
So this is probably a version just for Cyprus, half of which is under Turkish occupation since 1974.
Great find!

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Jul 2014, 22:46

chzel wrote: The keycaps are probably more interesting than you might think.
It is basically a Greek layout with a twist, the sub-legend of "W" should be "ς" (lower-case in word-final position sigma).
Instead it's a letter that is not in the Greek alphabet, but appears in the Turkish alphabet.
So this is probably a version just for Cyprus, half of which is under Turkish occupation since 1974.
Great find!
Oh, well spotted! This was bought from Cyprus, so I think you're right!

Muirium
µ

23 Jul 2014, 22:52

Indeed. Wouldn't surprise me if the Greek half of Cyprus has a local layout. Although there's many more Turkish characters to cover than just that! It's one of the curliest and diacritically busy of all the Latin scripts!

What would surprise me, though, is if Turkish Cyprus uses the same layout. They aren't Greek Cypriots under Turkish occupation up there in the north, they are Turkish too.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Jul 2014, 23:03

The 'Q' in "HAQ" means Greek ANSI, according to [wiki]Cherry article numbers[/wiki] — I guess Cherry used 'Q' for both.

chzel

23 Jul 2014, 23:18

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The 'Q' in "HAQ" means Greek ANSI, according to [wiki]Cherry article numbers[/wiki] — I guess Cherry used 'Q' for both.
Forgot to check the wiki!
If that particular layout ended up in Greece, it would cause a bit of head-scratching! :lol: The letter in the sub-legend does not exist in the Greek alphabet!

IvanIvanovich

24 Jul 2014, 01:11

Perhaps Cherry was simply being lazy (recycled some tooling) and/or not paying attention that ς (sigma-final, which is what appears proper on the same key) is not ç (cedilla/cédille). They do look kind of similar if you're not looking close.

Muirium
µ

24 Jul 2014, 03:58

Very plausible. In fact, more so than the idea that any kind of Turkish support would only take one extra cap!

photekq
Cherry Picker

24 Jul 2014, 04:13

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The 'Q' in "HAQ" means Greek ANSI, according to [wiki]Cherry article numbers[/wiki] — I guess Cherry used 'Q' for both.
Actually, it was me who added that. I added it when I saw the eBay listing, since there was nothing under Q :?

Return to “Gallery”