NovaTouch in Granite

Muirium
µ

27 Jul 2014, 14:56

Thought I'd post this as a picture set for anyone not already following the epic Granite and NovaTouch threads.

Finally, my PBT Granite caps arrived! What better place for them to be than the CM NovaTouch?
IMG_4288.JPG
IMG_4288.JPG (301.17 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
This keyboard's a prototype NovaTouch I beta tested for CM. Apparently they are well on the way to launch now.
IMG_3459.JPG
IMG_3459.JPG (242.13 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
These caps are simply magnificent. Rough, pumice textured PBT (even the space bar) with the nicest legends I have ever seen.
IMG_3472.JPG
IMG_3472.JPG (255.94 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
The macro lens does not lie. These are superb! Compared to the Amiga original:

I love these legends to bits. You can see all the work Matteo put into them, and it has paid off handsomely.
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG (335.41 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
Signed by the artist himself:
IMG_3474.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG (227.41 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
Those icon mods! Oh man am I bowled over by these. They are pure art! I also went big on mono legends, which I think match icon mods even better. Getting them into this GB was a huge win:
IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG (465.63 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
I have a mono § cap lined up, but one I forgot to argue to get into this GB entirely was single unit mono legend \ for ISO. You can see I'm using / for that key instead, but I slapped my forehead when I realised that we missed it! Sign me up for round 2…
IMG_3470.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG (263.47 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
Speaking of ISO, the Return key — along with every other cap — works perfectly on the NovaTouch. I either lucked out, or this keyboard's more forgiving than some MX native models. The space bar is even straighter than my Ducky PBT version, in fact. I can't see any telltale PBT banana curve with it on the keyboard.
IMG_4296.JPG
IMG_4296.JPG (354.46 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
Told you this blank ISO Return is perfect. I'm trading for an icon version so I'll have two eventually, so I still have a chance to play the ISO lottery!
IMG_3461.JPG
IMG_3461.JPG (164.15 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
As for typing, this is my very first DSA set. (DSA Dolch came over for the ride, but it can wait for Granite!) The flat row profile does feel a bit different to the tall SA and OEM caps that I'm used to. I've only typed on this for an hour or two, so it's still early days, but I find there's pros and cons to DSA. It's great for swapping caps around the keyboard, of course. Every row is compatible. And, on the NovaTouch at least, the caps aren't super tight on the mounts and I'm just fine with my keypuller as always. They're barely any different to handle than SA, on this. I do miss my tall row 1, though. These low caps feel like a longer stretch when going up there. But the spherical surface is just as comfy as SA. In fact, I'm impressed, I thought DSA would be flatter. I like it more than I expected.
IMG_4297.JPG
IMG_4297.JPG (304.68 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
The NovaTouch wears these caps just as elegantly as always. A very minimal, sleek, black keyboard goes well with everything. And just sparkles with Granite! I'm proud of them both, as you can tell.
IMG_4292.JPG
IMG_4292.JPG (350.29 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
For more on this keyboard, check out the Round 4 SPH set pictures here.

But let's finish on Granite:
IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG (386.74 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
This set exceeded my highest hopes for it, and they were mighty! So pleased I got this one. Thanks again to Matteo! And SP, who did a sterling job with their first DSA dyesub GB.
IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3460.JPG (228.69 KiB) Viewed 11541 times

scottc

27 Jul 2014, 14:59

Since these are DSA, why not just rotate that / key by 180 degrees?

Granite is really a sublime set. Really kicking myself for not having the cash for it at the time.
Last edited by scottc on 27 Jul 2014, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

27 Jul 2014, 15:00

I tried that. It needs horizontally flipped, not rotated, because / stays / when spun 180º.

scottc

27 Jul 2014, 15:02

Bah, of course! I obviously need to stop skipping my morning coffee...

bazh

27 Jul 2014, 15:16

scottc wrote:
Granite is really a sublime set. Really kicking myself for not having the cash for it at the time.
this :cry:

Grond

27 Jul 2014, 15:34

This set is just amazing. Loving the texture on those keycaps. I wish the stock Novatouch keycaps were something as gorgeous.

Muirium
µ

27 Jul 2014, 15:37

I'm determined to pester Matt and the universe in general until there is a Granite Round 2. This set is right up there with Round 4 SPH for demand for a second run. They're classics, and SP has the tools.

Besides, I need that one cap, man…

beltet

27 Jul 2014, 16:14

I'm still angry that I managed to miss this GB...
But they look awesome!

fifted

27 Jul 2014, 18:13

Beautiful, especially the mono symbols row! Goodness knows that with all the input you gave, you deserve a great set back. :)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

27 Jul 2014, 18:20

DSA.... flat yet nice and curvy ;) The best ! And Granite looks just perfect.

Madhias
BS TORPE

27 Jul 2014, 20:43

Great pictures, they show the texture of these caps in every way! The design gorgeous, hope it will be used also on other sets in the future. Especially when there's so much love and work put into!

Medowy

27 Jul 2014, 21:14

8-) Daaaaamn son

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 Jul 2014, 09:08

Those legends really do look great.

cookie

28 Jul 2014, 11:04

Those legends, fantastic! All centered and he hasn't pul all the symbols on it which can be accessed via modifyers! Smart and beautifull! This is a step up and looks nice on the novatouch.

But I still think Blank>all :)

BTW. where did you get this esc key from?

Muirium
µ

28 Jul 2014, 14:10

The Nerdom kit:

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/granite-nerdom-kit/

Speaking of which, here's my warchest full of Granite trade ammo!
Box o Granite.JPG
Box o Granite.JPG (496.4 KiB) Viewed 11305 times
Not all of this is spare, actually. My Cyrillic set is still in there…

cookie

28 Jul 2014, 15:03

Delicious! :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jul 2014, 18:21

thanks for the compliments Muirium, despite the small production errors I still love every bit of this set!

I just don't forgive you the unlegended-enter!

Can I use some your pictures for keypuller.com ?

Muirium
µ

28 Jul 2014, 23:00

Of course, getting on Keypuller is an honour!

Icon legend ISO Return is one of my key trades. I've got blue icon ANSI Return already, which is damn fine, but NovaTouch demands ISO.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2014, 17:26

Cyrillic update! The last tweak I made to my Granite order was adding these, and I'm so glad I did.
Overview.JPG
Overview.JPG (321.31 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
For the love of Ӎothєr ᴙussiӑ.
Left.JPG
Left.JPG (488.9 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
What I was saying about all the work Matteo put into Granite's design: double it. Because he did with these.
Twist.JPG
Twist.JPG (292.56 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
The secondary legends are an absolute star. Red works so well in dyesub.
Right.JPG
Right.JPG (462.14 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
The colour of the caps themselves is just right. They play with the light and shade so nicely.
Reflections.JPG
Reflections.JPG (308.94 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
You get a choice of secondary legend on several keys. I made use of this for the key left of Z, which takes one of the spares. Granite's Cyrillic kit also comes with a plain ISO |\ cap, without a red legend, which is always handy in the world of ANSI caps GBs.
Right Oblique.JPG
Right Oblique.JPG (409.21 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
Monochrome and red. All the way down.
Edge.JPG
Edge.JPG (461.34 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
See how seamless the number row is, between Cyrillic caps and the base kit without those extra red legends. Brilliant! I'm glad we banged our heads together to come up with this layout!
Centre.JPG
Centre.JPG (434.58 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
Love the texture on these medium finish DSA caps. And being PBT means they'll hold on to it for a while.
Deep G.JPG
Deep G.JPG (262.47 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
Yes, DSA has deep dish. Just pronounced enough to make homing easy, while subtly standing back with the rest of the crowd.
Deep Dish Texture.JPG
Deep Dish Texture.JPG (257.59 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
What's getting to be my standard parting shot:
Edge Haze.JPG
Edge Haze.JPG (221.83 KiB) Viewed 11146 times
All that texture is no illusion. Nor is all the effort that went into this design.

Grond

31 Jul 2014, 17:32

F-Row looks amazing as well. I hope this set will get a new run sometime! :)

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2014, 17:43

The Multimedia and Nerdom kits were absolute must haves for me (and the Apple kit for my Mac specific keys). Every single legend in Granite is a little wonder of its own. Only seeing them in real life that I begin to see the hours Matteo spent on making them. These must run again!

Dyesub's freedom for design was well worth it. The alignments are all fine (I see just as much error on my Round 4 SPH set, from imperfect stem orientation and other random things) and the contrast is magnificent on red and black. I have just one blue key, which is a bit weak. I like what Madhias says about them as secondary legends, though. I'll get a Mµ in a trade so I can see for myself.

SL89

31 Jul 2014, 18:52

>These must run again!

If they do run again i hope its not for a while and it has a different twist.

@Muirium did you get Cyrillic for typing reasons or just cause its pretty?

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2014, 18:56

Чисто по эстетическим причинам. Я не знаю ни слова по-русски.

I think Matteo has something in mind. Not quite sure what, but something Gotham, fingers crossed…

SL89

31 Jul 2014, 19:02

Muirium wrote: Чисто по эстетическим причинам. Я не знаю ни слова по-русски.

I think Matteo has something in mind. Not quite sure what, but something Gotham, fingers crossed…
Lol thats what i figured.

And i hope so, i had lurked so long on Round 5 that when i placed my orders i had no idea Granite was even happening until it went live and it was too late for me.

Spotty1125

01 Aug 2014, 04:57

I want those keycaps soooooooooooooooo baaaaaaddd.. (Even though I don't have a compatible keyboard for them..)

Madhias
BS TORPE

01 Aug 2014, 08:56

Muirium wrote: Cyrillic update! The last tweak I made to my Granite order was adding these, and I'm so glad I did.
Great images, a perfect impression of these caps! Unfortunately i didn't order the Cyrillic set, it would have been also my last tweak to my order, or additional order - if there was not my stolen and locked credit card exactly in the last week of the group buy. So i do not have the Cyrillic set, but more bucks on my bank account... ...already spent of course.

Grond

01 Aug 2014, 09:38

Spotty1125 wrote: I want those keycaps soooooooooooooooo baaaaaaddd.. (Even though I don't have a compatible keyboard for them..)
This is easily solved, as the keyboard will probably be cheaper the keycaps. :lol:

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2014, 14:53

Depends. Here's the price list:

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/gra ... e-sub-dsa/

You'd need a base set and to choose either icon or text mods. Everything else is optional.

magicsam075

01 Aug 2014, 19:57

Hi everyone, I need to know how I can get the granit sets?? I'm looking for an ISO french options with it, but buyers group seem all over on the site...
If it can't be ordered again, anyone okay to resell it? :D

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2014, 20:06

There is a thread for that:

http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/t ... t7841.html

But starting from scratch is hard. You'll have to name a good price! (And I'm not selling, just advising. I wouldn't part with mine, they're too good.)

Return to “Gallery”