IMG_3670.JPG
IMG_3670.JPG (623.22 KiB) Viewed 3479 times

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2014, 17:55

What material is this?

JC.

31 Jul 2014, 18:06

It uses PBT+POM (POM for the letters part)

SL89

31 Jul 2014, 18:10

but WHY would they make the legends for the Symbols on the numrow the POM and not the Numbers...

This would be great on my code until Round 5 ships

Compgeke

31 Jul 2014, 18:11

These keys were actually ABS, although I haven't had the laptop for a year. As a 15 year old I thought that backlit keyboard was badass (and I did't even buy it knowing it had a backlit board). Kind of like the way it was pulled off though as the entire back of the keyboard lit up making it even, something hard to pull off with MX switches.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2014, 18:20

Laptops do indeed make a better job of backlighting than mechanical keyboards have achieved, so far:

Mind, I have that very backlight off 99% of the time on my MacBook Pro. It's only useful when typing unusual strings in the dark. But that's touch typing and keyboard snobbery for you!

BlueBär

01 Aug 2014, 03:03

SL89 wrote: but WHY would they make the legends for the Symbols on the numrow the POM and not the Numbers...
All legends are POM, it's just that the LEDs are on the top side and therefore the number legends don't get illuminated as much.

Nice jobs with the legends Vortex. AGAIN.

Alt Win Image Control

SL89

01 Aug 2014, 04:37

BlueBär wrote:
SL89 wrote: but WHY would they make the legends for the Symbols on the numrow the POM and not the Numbers...
All legends are POM, it's just that the LEDs are on the top side and therefore the number legends don't get illuminated as much.
Thanks for clarifying BlueBär

strafe

01 Aug 2014, 05:13

My IKBC keyboard appears to have keycaps made by the same manufacturer, but the bottom row and function row have the legends in the middle, so back lighting wouldn't really work very well. I held my phone's light up to a keycap and it partially lights up.

I wish the set in the original post used 'Fn' instead of Image

Here's a picture of my work keyboard, including awful font :D

bitemyweewee

01 Aug 2014, 08:36

Muirium wrote: Laptops do indeed make a better job of backlighting than mechanical keyboards have achieved, so far:
Mind, I have that very backlight off 99% of the time on my MacBook Pro. It's only useful when typing unusual strings in the dark. But that's touch typing and keyboard snobbery for you!
Do you know if PBT replacement caps are available for the mac book pro? I've heard that they shine pretty quickly :/

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2014, 14:51

Wishful thinking! I seriously doubt it. Although there are so many Macs out there now that it's possible…

dorkvader

01 Aug 2014, 18:19

This would be great on my code until Round 5 ships
What do you mean?

It's obvious that the entire legend is POM. The reason the top part is backlit is because that's the part directly above the LED.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2014, 18:28

Yup. That's the inherent problem with backlighting and MX: the offset LED position.

They need either better internal reflection in the transparent plastic, or better yet: lighting in the cap itself.

Return to “Gallery”