IBM Beamspring 3278

macmakkara

24 Sep 2014, 22:53

So i got one 3278 from "Seller of Rust" that several DT members got beam springs from in recent months, including Monster-Toys, Scottc, Muirium, Halvar and now me.

But yeah il go to the point.

Here she is:

8 has little chip and 6 and 7 was bended:

Top off and some corrosion:

Contamination shield:

Contamination shield off:

Any idea how to clean there little fuckers?

Halfway there:

There they are!

Il have to do some derust for this. Going to try vinegar bath.

7bit

24 Sep 2014, 23:00

Clavier au vinaigre!
:ugeek:

That's a nice shark's meal!
:evilgeek:

Maybe I'll do mine the same!
:cool:

macmakkara

24 Sep 2014, 23:03

Yeah il suggest should do the same if its at same condition as mine.

Muirium
µ

24 Sep 2014, 23:05

To be honest, I'd just leave that crud on there. A vinegar bath will strip the rubbery foam from the inside, which is not good: that stuff is required and you'll have to replace it like Monster Toys did. Meanwhile, the Hammerite Rust Remover route that I took keeps that stuff in place, but is a lot of scrubbing for no real gain. Your PCB is in good shape, that's what matters. And the switches!

macmakkara

24 Sep 2014, 23:09

Yeah im going to replace it cause it crumbled off from there when i turned that over :/. so il bath it and get some foam to replace it =)

Muirium
µ

24 Sep 2014, 23:33

Keep us posted! My foam's not in great shape and I may replace it too. Like a Model F, I think it alters the keyboard's feel so it's something you want to be sure to get right.

macmakkara

24 Sep 2014, 23:52

Yeah propably doing derust tomorrow if i find time for it if not then it moves to next week.

photekq
Cherry Picker

25 Sep 2014, 00:11

Subbed! Looking forward to seeing this log :)

By the way, how much does it weigh?

andrewjoy

25 Sep 2014, 00:20

that is a big clean up job , i would be more worried about the rust on the switches. Foam is the main problem, get that sorted and you should be fine, just get all the loose corrosion off the plate with a wire brush and then use some rust remedy bit of acid etch primer and then a top coat of satin black and you are good to go :)

macmakkara

25 Sep 2014, 07:19

Yep il have to solve how im going to remove Rush on those switches. Propably trying to rub with white vinegar and then use some rust converter / remover.

@photekq
Il Weight it when i assemble it back together.

andrewjoy

25 Sep 2014, 09:58

I would be very very mindful when doing anything to the switches, you get anything inside them and its curtains, i would personally make a jig to hold them upside down so nothing can run into them and then use the rust remover, i would not scrub anything as you risk getting liquid / dust into the switch and well that's not good.

macmakkara

25 Sep 2014, 10:25

Yeah thats what im afraid of also :/ il try to come up with something.

dorkvader

25 Sep 2014, 21:31

The one I received to mod for an excellent DT & GH member was in beautiful condition: almost no rust whatsoever.

That one is like the 3278 I got on eBay from that guy in virginia. I will be cleaning off the rust and clearcoating it for safety.

I was just going to sand the rust off, but maybe I'll try vinegar instead.

Muirium
µ

25 Sep 2014, 21:44

Clearcoating, eh? What do you suggest to keep the rust away?

7bit

26 Sep 2014, 09:11

I once bathed a Cherry G80-1501 which was a bit stinky in vinegar and indeed the stink went off, but it left little crystals at the metal parts inside the switches. It took me a while to clean that off and make the switches usable again.
:o

dorkvader

26 Sep 2014, 19:34

Muirium wrote: Clearcoating, eh? What do you suggest to keep the rust away?
anything that won't let air (and oxygen) through should all work the same. I will probably use some rustoleum-brand paint.

andrewjoy

26 Sep 2014, 19:57

i am just tempted to get a paint shop to to all the metal parts of mine if the top case is ok i wont bother with that .

they are the experts on preparing metal

i dont even know if mine needs it yet, just paid my 1/2 of the customs , its about 30 miles away from me , so close but may as well be 1000 light years

Halvar

26 Sep 2014, 20:56

Crossing my fingers for you that Cindy's beam spring boards are in better shape than the Dresden ones.

andrewjoy

26 Sep 2014, 20:57

i think that they will be all i saw on the photos was dust but you never know what will greet you inside

JBert

27 Sep 2014, 02:00

I don't have a beamspring so I don't know about its tolerances, but do check how much clearance you have before applying paint.

For example, painting the plate too thick might make it difficult to insert the key modules, similarly it might be hard to push the caps on if the stem was made thicker by a layer of paint.

Return to “Gallery”