OTD 360c

photekq
Cherry Picker

08 Oct 2014, 18:29

WARNING : LOTS OF IMAGES

360corsa or 360c for short, the newest kit from the famous line of Korean customs produced by the OTD.kr community.

I got this a while ago, but it's taken forever to get it working because of the PITA controller programming.

This is a lovely board to build, a lovely board to type on, and a lovely board to look at. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on one.

Hope you enjoy the pics. Keycaps are Cherry dyesubs from G81-3116SDU. Windowed locks are G80-1191H*U. Switches are 62g Skidata clears with Nixdorf tops.

Lots more pics in higher resolution here
Spoiler:

cookie

08 Oct 2014, 19:28

what a beauty!

Madhias
BS TORPE

08 Oct 2014, 20:03

Gorgeous pictures! I ever wondered what's the golden plate for? To add more weight? Just for the style? Those are probably the most expensive keyboards beside industrial SSK's one can buy today? I remember reading in a GH thread that it's even not easy to get such board, but i think it was another one, but very similar. The case all in all looks like it's being made from Apple (or it's suppliers).

Muirium
µ

08 Oct 2014, 20:07

Heh, I'd love to see Apple make a new mech keyboard. They were fairly good at it, 20-30 years ago!

So you Cherry guys are as mad for certain G80 and G81 models essentially so you can harvest caps for something like this? That would explain everything!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Oct 2014, 20:12

very nice report thanks!

I find the keyboard itself a bit boring, but still a piece of art :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

08 Oct 2014, 20:13

madhias wrote: Gorgeous pictures! I ever wondered what's the golden plate for? To add more weight? Just for the style? Those are probably the most expensive keyboards beside industrial SSK's one can buy today? I remember reading in a GH thread that it's even not easy to get such board, but i think it was another one, but very similar. The case all in all looks like it's being made from Apple (or it's suppliers).
The brass plate is just for weight and for the sake of being flashy.

The GB price for this board was about $450, and I was lucky enough to get it for that price.. It sells for about $750 market price in this colour, since it's a bit rarer than the other colour available. 360c isn't easy to get on GH/DT but is fairly easy to get on the Chinese/Korean forums. I think even $750 is an ok price. The machining, finishing and anodising is top notch. Incredibly high quality. I have absolutely no complaints.

Other OTD boards can be more expensive though. The 356CL was a similar price at GB years ago, but your chances of getting one are pretty much zero. I think they sell for about $2000+?

Funny you say it looks like it's from Apple.. The colour of this one is apple silver :lol:
Muirium wrote: Heh, I'd love to see Apple make a new mech keyboard. They were fairly good at it, 20-30 years ago!

So you Cherry guys are as mad for certain G80 and G81 models essentially so you can harvest caps for something like this? That would explain everything!
G81s yes, G80s no! G80s are just as lovely as this custom but in their own way.

scottc

08 Oct 2014, 20:35

Wow, this board looks absolutely gorgeous. Great work!

HzFaq

08 Oct 2014, 20:54

matt3o wrote: very nice report thanks!

I was thinking that it looked a bit pale, you need to leave it out in the sun a little photekq mate, let it get a tan ;).

How is the software on these Korean customs? What kind of customization is possible?

photekq
Cherry Picker

08 Oct 2014, 20:58

HzFaq wrote:
matt3o wrote: very nice report thanks!

I was thinking that it looked a bit pale, you need to leave it out in the sun a little photekq mate, let it get a tan ;).

How is the software on these Korean customs? What kind of customization is possible?
Limited. AFAIK you're stuck with regular ANSI with no macros/rebinds with the stock controller. GON makes A356, a replacement controller, which supports USB and full key remapping. I didn't program this because it requires an ISP loader (something I don't have). I just soldered it, so I don't have any experience with the software.

Plain's the way I like it :evilgeek:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

09 Oct 2014, 12:31

i am genuinely surprised at the number of plain-jane 'high end' TKL projects that are out there, in 2014.

nice looking board :) i can't tell the difference from any other OTD boards though... is there anything else to this besides the case being pretty? just curious 8-)

Halvar

09 Oct 2014, 13:08

Nice case. Yes, there are so many small-scale buys for simple TKL aluminium cases, and so many people buy Apple's or Apple-inspired alu case notebooks. It's strange that there is no shelf product yet for an alu TKL.

Madhias
BS TORPE

09 Oct 2014, 13:08

photekq wrote: Other OTD boards can be more expensive though. The 356CL was a similar price at GB years ago, but your chances of getting one are pretty much zero. I think they sell for about $2000+?

Funny you say it looks like it's from Apple.. The colour of this one is apple silver :lol:
Ah that's why there was a discussion (and even quarreling) going on about a 356CL and how someone could get it. Wondering what's the difference.

Apple silver, so it could be even the same material maybe. Interesting, i have here at work about 7 or 8 old Mac Pro's with their thick aluminum cases, we could melt the cases for some nice aluminum :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Oct 2014, 13:21

It's probably a different grade of aluminium madhias but similar finishing. Bead blasting followed by anodising.
sth wrote: nice looking board :) i can't tell the difference from any other OTD boards though... is there anything else to this besides the case being pretty? just curious 8-)
PCB/plate is the same as any OTD winkeyless TKL. It's just the case design that's different. It's more than just pretty.. I'd say it's my favourite MX keyboard, along with G80s :maverick:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

09 Oct 2014, 13:53

it does seem well-designed... i guess i just don't understand the differences between their boards and why there are so many when they all do exactly the same thing and arent customizable (fw-wise).

Elrick

10 Oct 2014, 11:01

Typical Korean Perfection.... need we say more :).

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Oct 2014, 22:22

Why is the case thicker at the front and back than at the sides (the "margin" between the keys and the edge of the case)? My Filco is as thin at the back as it as at the sides, but the front is thicker. I think it should be the same thickness all the way around, just as it is on my Poker.

Muirium
µ

10 Oct 2014, 23:21

Is a bit strange, now you mention it:

Looking at my NovaTouch here, similar story: the margins are pretty small really, but once again the front and back have visibly longer "eaves" than the sides.

Still nothing compared to all my old boards. You could rest books on them, Model Fs even have a ledge just for that purpose, of course.

photekq
Cherry Picker

10 Oct 2014, 23:22

Most boards are like that. I'm fond of it.

Josh

12 Oct 2014, 03:56

nice :D

pmh1410

18 Oct 2014, 07:07

Very nice combo Cherry Dye-sub with 360C Apple Silver ;)

Return to “Gallery”