NIB IBM Model M

Madhias
BS TORPE

14 Oct 2014, 14:50

I got a NIB IBM Model M from Cindy today. I don't know what to do now, i bought it because i thought every serious man needs once in a lifetime a NIB IBM keyboard. I do want to open it, the box and the keyboard itself too. But then i would have to cut through the probably 26 years old adhesive tape, which is quite old as you can see on the pictures. I could carefully put the adhesive tape off.

photekq
Cherry Picker

14 Oct 2014, 14:52

I'm so sad I don't have the money for one :(

Great photos as always, hope to see lots of the actual board!

cookie

14 Oct 2014, 15:12

How much did you pay, If I may ask?

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2014, 15:19

I think Cindy has them listed for $75. Just add shipping and Der Zoll and arrrrgh!

quantalume

14 Oct 2014, 15:25

I didn't face this dilemma as mine had no tape. :P

Madhias
BS TORPE

14 Oct 2014, 15:29

Yes, $75 + $48,50 shipping (Austria) and customs €29,06 because the value was marked on the package. I'm sure one can ask Cindy to mark it as 25$ value for example. So for me it was €126,71. I think it's a great price in all!
Last edited by Madhias on 14 Oct 2014, 15:56, edited 2 times in total.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

14 Oct 2014, 15:34

This is like a bottle of wine fine old wine :)

cookie

14 Oct 2014, 17:25

Actually I thing that is a great price for a NIB!!! Model-M

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Oct 2014, 20:00

Congrats to that new M! 8-)
i bought it because i thought every serious man needs once in a lifetime a NIB IBM keyboard
very good madhias :D , except those NIB M´s are not that easy to come by! $75 is ok for a new one.
Der Zoll arrrrgh!
Right Mu,Der Zoll (in Germany) can be a pain if your unlucky.It can go easy.But if they have a bad day and you piss them off... :evilgeek: anyway our Madhias is in Austria,I dunno how they are.
Last edited by seebart on 14 Oct 2014, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

alinh

14 Oct 2014, 20:02

madhias wrote: Yes, $75 + $48,50 shipping (Austria) and customs €29,06 because the value was marked on the package. I'm sure one can ask Cindy to mark it as 25$ value for example. So for me it was €126,71. I think it's a great price in all!
Cindy said she will not declare a lower value :(

Seems that the NIBs are all sold out :o

Madhias
BS TORPE

14 Oct 2014, 20:38

alinh wrote: Cindy said she will not declare a lower value :(
Oh, i didn't ask her, so i was just thinking that it would be possible.
alinh wrote: Seems that the NIBs are all sold out :o
That was fast! The quantity was about over 20?

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2014, 21:44

It was a good handful. A tasty one, evidently.

Madhias
BS TORPE

14 Oct 2014, 22:35

The price on customs in Austria is every time just an amount of the value, it doesn't change or varies, or at least i had never to pay strange amounts. The biggest problem is the time. This keyboard was about one and a half week at the customs until it reached its final address. Once it was only 2 days at the customs. And another time it was almost 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe how much they have to do, how many people are on holiday, and how many drugs are being shipped...

macmakkara

15 Oct 2014, 09:14

Grats on your New M.

In fin computer stuff has 0% customs fee but we have to pay 24%vat (ALV in fin) if its outside of europe :/ here stuff goes to customs when they arrive to country and post (posti / itella) send you informaation about that. Then you can have post office to do customs or do them yourself at net on finnish customs website (tulli).

Khers

17 Oct 2014, 18:52

Very nice pics! I collected one from the post office earlier this week as well. Given that I've wanted to lay my hands on a model M for some time (you don't stumble upon nice examples very often in Sweden) I opened the box right away to dry type a bit :). Will post pics of the boards I got at some later time, when the old ones are nice and clean.

The Swedish customs office seem fairly straight forward and remarkably similar to their finnish counterparts. No customs fee on computer parts, but a 100 kr (~11€) handling fee and 25% VAT (moms). Didn't seem to take very long either.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Oct 2014, 22:56

Should have bought two new Model M. One for enjoying opening the time-pod and using the new keyboard, and one time-pod to preserve for humankind.

taylordcraig

18 Oct 2014, 05:16

Wish I knew, woulda grabbed one. Never had an M.

Return to “Gallery”