Arc Reactor 3d printed

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2014, 13:01

I got the arc reactor.

The plastic insert doesn't work. Metal 3d print is too irregular to fit such a small insert. It would still be possible to throw some resin inside the holes but it works pretty well barebone actually.

I'm not 100% satisfied by the print quality, the pumpkin came out better, but well a nice addition to my collection nonetheless :P

This was the prototype:

This --together with other custom keycaps-- goes to the lucky winner of best keyboard innovation DT awards 2014

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Nov 2014, 13:06

Nice! Surely it powers the keyboard, and the whole house?

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2014, 13:10

As with all the best things in life, it looks good naked! Did the plastic insert came out to the right scale? I'm guessing that's the hardest part to get right, as these materials mold at different temperatures = sizes from where they cool.

There's enough detail on that metal body to make me feel pretty good about a 100% embossed legend keyboard. I could see secondary legends working out if designed with the material's properties in mind.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2014, 13:19

Muirium wrote: As with all the best things in life, it looks good naked! Did the plastic insert came out to the right scale? I'm guessing that's the hardest part to get right, as these materials mold at different temperatures = sizes from where they cool.
I used resin for the insert, which is very high quality, while metal is just medium quality. The two together don't really work.

The material that shapeways calls "frosted ultra detail" is incredibly high definition, and you can safely do whatever you want with it.

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2014, 13:33

My dream of a Mandelbrot keycap… infinity required!

macmakkara

27 Nov 2014, 16:36

Wow. That looks amazing!

pyrelink

27 Nov 2014, 18:19

That looks awesome! Very nice work.

Return to “Gallery”