I got this for 2 euros today

Pyrox

20 Dec 2014, 16:52

Hello everyone, it's been quite a long time since I last came to this forum, hope you're all well.
Today I was going around an open air market in my town and I found this. It was a bit dirty, so I cleaned it as best as I could, even if I couldn't open it because I need some sort of hexagon screwdriver. It sounds really good when clicking on it and it's very solid. Which model is it? I am no expert at all :D
20141220_161205.jpg
20141220_161205.jpg (391.13 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
20141220_161141.jpg
20141220_161141.jpg (406.7 KiB) Viewed 2725 times

vsev

20 Dec 2014, 17:09

Hi,
You've got a Model M from 1991 as its written on backside !

http://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Enhanced_Keyboard

Really good deal you made today !

Muirium
µ

20 Dec 2014, 17:24

Yup, full size Model M made in Greenock, Scotland. The classsic buckling spring keyboard. The spacebar is ABS by the look of it, as its yellowed. But the other caps are all nice quality dyesub PBT.

What cable (if any) does it have?

Here's mine, with the less desired terminal style RJ45 cable, which I use with Soarer's Converter:

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/ibm-m ... t6407.html

7bit

20 Dec 2014, 17:51

Don't listen to these guys!

It is a cheap rubberdome keybaord, not worth much, but I pay you 5 EUR plus shipping for it!
:evilgeek:

Pyrox

20 Dec 2014, 20:06

vsev wrote: Hi,
You've got a Model M from 1991 as its written on backside !

http://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Enhanced_Keyboard

Really good deal you made today !
Thank you :D
Muirium wrote: Yup, full size Model M made in Greenock, Scotland. The classsic buckling spring keyboard. The spacebar is ABS by the look of it, as its yellowed. But the other caps are all nice quality dyesub PBT.

What cable (if any) does it have?

Here's mine, with the less desired terminal style RJ45 cable, which I use with Soarer's Converter:

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/ibm-m ... t6407.html
Yes, there is a cable, too, here it is:
20141220_195945.jpg
20141220_195945.jpg (613.61 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
7bit wrote: Don't listen to these guys!

It is a cheap rubberdome keybaord, not worth much, but I pay you 5 EUR plus shipping for it!
:evilgeek:
:mrgreen:

dorkvader

21 Dec 2014, 06:32

do you live in like spain or something? 1391401 is the part number for the us-ANSI one 1391406 is for UK-ISO, 1391404 appears to be spain or something due to the bit-paired number row and stuff. It was made in the UK like most of the european ones.

The cable end is a normal SDL cable which is what you should expect on a 139140* The other end should be PS/2 but would be AT for an older keyboard.

anyway: great KB great find, excellent keycaps except for the spacebar. Check out the cool ground clip on it, etc.

You can easily tell the difference between PS/2 ones with a mini-DIN and terminal ones with a 4p4c by looking at the numberpad area, The terminal ones almost always have a split + key. The PS/2 or AT ones almost always have a fullsize + key. Look at muirium's picture of his and you'll see.

ENjoy!

Muirium
µ

21 Dec 2014, 14:36

Let's out it this way 2 Euros was a great price *just for that cable* let alone the keyboard too!

Nice info on their numpad <> connector correlation, Dorkvader. Apple's numpads are traditionally that physical layout, too, with an extra key. I'm too used to it to notice!

Pyrox

21 Dec 2014, 18:42

dorkvader wrote: do you live in like spain or something? 1391401 is the part number for the us-ANSI one 1391406 is for UK-ISO, 1391404 appears to be spain or something due to the bit-paired number row and stuff. It was made in the UK like most of the european ones.

The cable end is a normal SDL cable which is what you should expect on a 139140* The other end should be PS/2 but would be AT for an older keyboard.

anyway: great KB great find, excellent keycaps except for the spacebar. Check out the cool ground clip on it, etc.

You can easily tell the difference between PS/2 ones with a mini-DIN and terminal ones with a 4p4c by looking at the numberpad area, The terminal ones almost always have a split + key. The PS/2 or AT ones almost always have a fullsize + key. Look at muirium's picture of his and you'll see.

ENjoy!
You almost got it, I am from Italy :D I am really impressed on the amount of information you guys can provide. If I can get the hex screwdriver and open it I will clean it properly and maybe I'll post more pictures.

snoopy

22 Dec 2014, 19:40

If you can't find one or don't wanna wait any longer... you can try this method: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/mode ... t1960.html

:)

Pyrox

23 Dec 2014, 01:41

Actually, a friend gave me a 5,5 hex screwdriver, but unluckily it has a thicker part that doesn't fit in the holes where the screws are placed, so it is pretty useless (I could take away only one of them that isn't in hole, but on a plain surface). Maybe I will try with the pen trick :D

Touch_It

23 Dec 2014, 23:42

I tried the pen trick but got it to hot and got stuck in one of the holes on my terminal M :(. It looks like it will be stubborn to get out, to put it nicely. For what it's worth i got a 5.5 MM hex at Menards for a few bucks.

Return to “Gallery”