GON NerD 60 (finally done!)

beltet

12 Jan 2015, 00:10

Hi. Just wanted to show off my newly built board.
I bought one of the limted editions of NerD 60 per this thread:
http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/gon- ... hilit=NerD
Its fitted with MX Clears 62g. Universal plate from GON's Keyboardworks. Pexon cheap aluminum case. Granite Round 2 keycaps. Home built/modded USB cable.

And finally I have made the board after a few months. I had some problem to source some parts that I wanted(the plate and caps mainly). And it stretched the time. But now its finished and I like it alot.
Thanks to:
chzel: Soldering the diodes after we split the shipping.
DanielT: For informing and convincing to buy this.
Matt3o: For designing these caps.
Nuff talk! Let pictures speak!.... And sorry for the bad pictures(especially build log potato pictures).....

Non detailed build log:
Spoiler:
Lubing Switches

Done after 3h...

Plate

Home made switch tool

PCB

Anyone know what these are for? Bluetooth pack?

Stabs

Lubing stabs

Needles are great for lubing. Dosen't even look lubed.

Soldering

Soldering done

First test. Some keys didn't work.

Here are the errors made, was a bit tired when I soldered these switches.

LED's 1.8mm

Mishappening when testing the stabs. Forgot to test before soldering. But managed to fit it back the way it came out.

Done soldering LED's

Little afraid of shorts so I taped the case with electric tape.

Screws. I use M2x4mm & 6mm. And they have Torx head because those are more duarble.

PCB mounted in the case

Second test

Lubing the top of stabs in hope that it will make it easier to take of the caps.

Checking all the caps. There was missing ones...

Indicator LED. Orange 3mm.

Prototype FN layers. I have changed CAPS to FN in first layer, and have CAPS on third layer since this picture
Hope you enjoyed it!

chzel

12 Jan 2015, 00:33

Looking really nice beltet, job well done!
I haven't built mine yet! :oops:

beltet

12 Jan 2015, 00:52

chzel wrote: Looking really nice beltet, job well done!
I haven't built mine yet! :oops:
Lol, thought I was the last one. But don't worry, you will have built your in a timely manner :D

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

12 Jan 2015, 09:29

This looks really good :D
I have a second one in the works, for this one I went the extra mile and bought also a plate, a black one that matches the Vortex case so good :) If the GON plate had also cutouts for switch top removal it would be the best plate ever made, it's a such a solid build not some flimsy sheet of aluminum.
Those VCC,GND...TX,RX are the headers for the ISP programmer, you can use them to flash the controller, some people managed to flash the controller to support TMK firmware.
This version of the PCB does not support the Bluetooth module, only from version v2.0 is supported.
The second PCB I got is v2.0 and has a different design, you have some headers for the Bluetooth module and the battery.

Nice USB cable, did you make also the curly part ? If yes how ? I would like to make one too :D

tlt

12 Jan 2015, 10:18

Good job! Nice to see a build with Swedish layout. I'm tempted to order stuff from GON, was shipping and customs a problem for you?

beltet

12 Jan 2015, 11:02

DanielT wrote: This looks really good :D
I have a second one in the works, for this one I went the extra mile and bought also a plate, a black one that matches the Vortex case so good :) If the GON plate had also cutouts for switch top removal it would be the best plate ever made, it's a such a solid build not some flimsy sheet of aluminum.
Those VCC,GND...TX,RX are the headers for the ISP programmer, you can use them to flash the controller, some people managed to flash the controller to support TMK firmware.
This version of the PCB does not support the Bluetooth module, only from version v2.0 is supported.
The second PCB I got is v2.0 and has a different design, you have some headers for the Bluetooth module and the battery.

Nice USB cable, did you make also the curly part ? If yes how ? I would like to make one too :D
Yeah the plate is awesome, except switch removal. I asked GON if he would consider having it, but he said something like "they have their pro's and con's and I will go for no switch removal".
Ok so they are for a programmer... That's nice. But need to see if you could get a hex from GON with the original firmware first before testing to flash it. I like the simplicity with NerD GUI. But i'm very interested in TMK, never used it before.
Ok. I thought that this PCB supported bluetooth aswell. But no loss for me. This one aint getting any fancy wireless stuff!
The thing I did with the cable was the coil. Otherwise its a regular straight one. I have tried to find a grey, coiled cable for quite a while, but havent found any manufacture that makes real 90's cables :D Soon you will see something new in the workshop section ;)

scottc

12 Jan 2015, 11:05

I can't pick between a Winkeyless.co.kr Face/Thumb and GON NerD60 for my 60% FaceU replacement. I'd really like to be able to swap switches so that's a negative for GON. These look so good, though!

beltet

12 Jan 2015, 11:09

tlt wrote: Good job! Nice to see a build with Swedish layout. I'm tempted to order stuff from GON, was shipping and customs a problem for you?
Yeah, its to little swedish builds here! :D
No, posten didn't take out any import or taxes(moms). So I flied under the radar with this package. Maybe we can split shipping sometime. I know that you don't live far away from me. But atm my funds are real low... But if you are going to order something, please tell me. I may be interested aswell(not only from GON).

Btw, congrats to your new G80-3000(saw your username on tradera)! :D I was bidding on it aswell, but didn't want to spend more than 560SEK excl. shipping. But damn what I wanted those DS swedish legends! You dont see those on tradera that often.

beltet

12 Jan 2015, 11:12

scottc wrote: I can't pick between a Winkeyless.co.kr Face/Thumb and GON NerD60 for my 60% FaceU replacement. I'd really like to be able to swap switches so that's a negative for GON. These look so good, though!
I would go for the GON, if you only need a PCB. FaceU is based on ps2AVR right? and winkeyless aswell. In simplicity I think Gon's is the choice.
But I cant say much about winkeyless because I have never owned one...

scottc

12 Jan 2015, 11:16

A GON would work in the BIOS and in GRUB, too! They're both strong contenders.

DanielT

12 Jan 2015, 11:25

I have both an original faceW (winkeyless SPRiT edition) and GON. Both are great quality but I would go with the GON, the ps2avr doesn't work well in BIOS and sucks in GRUB, this is not a big issue but it still sucks big time, it's like something is missing. GON works like a charm in BIOS/GRUB/LILO, and programming it is a child play.
xauser made support for TMK on GON for NerD60 and NerD TKL, I like GON's firmware, it's so easy to use, but some like TMK so it's nice that there is also support for that.

tlt

13 Jan 2015, 13:48

beltet wrote: Btw, congrats to your new G80-3000(saw your username on tradera)! :D I was bidding on it aswell, but didn't want to spend more than 560SEK excl. shipping. But damn what I wanted those DS swedish legends! You dont see those on tradera that often.
Thanks I'm very happy I got it, have been looking and hoping for one of those to show up on Tradera for a couple of years now. Maybe we will see more old cherry MX stuff on there now that more people know of the switch from new gaming keyboards and understand that they might be sellable.

cookie

13 Jan 2015, 13:59

Verry nice build! They layout is not my cup of tea but I love the fact that you have a HHKB style FN key!
I also like the caps, do you type slower on them? I've heared that some people have some trouble finding the F and J key on the home row.

Did you build the wristrest yourself?

beltet

14 Jan 2015, 00:39

tlt wrote: Thanks I'm very happy I got it, have been looking and hoping for one of those to show up on Tradera for a couple of years now. Maybe we will see more old cherry MX stuff on there now that more people know of the switch from new gaming keyboards and understand that they might be sellable.
I've been waiting for one aswell, but not as long as you. Hopefully they start popping up, I thought that Cherry maybe hadn't made swedish boards at all because they never came up on Tradera. But please tell me if you are going to sell it in the future.
cookie wrote: Verry nice build! They layout is not my cup of tea but I love the fact that you have a HHKB style FN key!
I also like the caps, do you type slower on them? I've heared that some people have some trouble finding the F and J key on the home row.

Did you build the wristrest yourself?
I have thought about the layout a while, and came up that this suits my needs. I dont use everything at all time. But it's "nice to have". I tested the HHKB fn on my last build and liked it much better than FN on the modifier row. Especially when using arrows
The caps I was typing slower on at first. But I think it's just a thing to get used to. I type faster and faster for everyday. But yeah it can be hard to tell between the deep dish and regulars.
The wrist rest is from massdrop:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/hardwood-w ... guest_open
The cheapest alternative you can chose. I hadn't used wristrest before and wanted something cheap to try it out. And I don't know now how I could be without it!
This one I have sanded a little bit because there was some small tick's sticking up. Thats why the color is a little off. It aint the best dyeing technique they have used... But didn't expect that either.

beltet

14 Jan 2015, 00:47

The technique for making a coiled cable will be posted a bit later than expected. I'm going away for a week to visit my parents. If I have time I post from their place. But thats a low priority... Sry..
But if you cant hold yourself... Here is a google translated option:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... piralkabel

cookie

14 Jan 2015, 10:42

Unfortunately the wrist rest needs more requests to be produced again, I'd take two of them for sure!
I must say that I love the coiled cable guide! All made sense to me but spinning the cable in the opposite direction blew me away! I love coiled cables, they give modern keyboards a vintage touch :)

I was used to type on old cherry caps. Their F and J key has a slightly different form than all the others, I found that very helpfull! Now I got used to the little dents on HHKB caps which I also like.

Anyway, you got such a nice build there! Me personally would like it better with blank caps, but I always prefere blank caps :D

Cheers!

Linkert

15 Jan 2015, 19:40

Sexmaskin! ;)

beltet

20 Feb 2016, 20:29

Updated with another case and layout. Feel this is my best 60% I can get:
Full Album

DanielT

21 Feb 2016, 09:25

The board looks great :) What case is that one? I like the color and design. Always happy to see a 60% :)

Return to “Gallery”