Three generations of IBM keyboards

joc

11 Feb 2015, 03:59

Here's a photo showing three generations of IBM keyboards (beam spring, Model F, and Model M). I think the photo is kind of interesting from a historical point of view. Sorry that the photo isn't better quality - I only have a smartphone camera.
ibm_keyboards_three_generations.jpg
ibm_keyboards_three_generations.jpg (671.98 KiB) Viewed 2340 times

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

11 Feb 2015, 04:36

Jeez...

That unsaver looks so good. The beam spring looks like heaven. I would love to get a TKL version.

Things that I have
122 key model F check
Model m SSK check

Things that I neeeed
Unsaver
Any beam spring with a metal case.(don't they all have metal cases?)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

11 Feb 2015, 04:37

Oh yeah two things I forgot.

1# Cool post looks really neat especially from my pleb view.

2# Jealous

macmakkara

11 Feb 2015, 07:33

I have almost same boards... but im missing f122

idollar
i$

11 Feb 2015, 08:22

Another member that shall all an extra lock to his place :-)
Great collection !!! I am soooooo jealous.

jacobolus

11 Feb 2015, 09:34

Amazing how much sexier beam springs look than later IBM keyboards. Everything about the case and keycaps went from gorgeous to designed-by-a-lazy-committe-of-middle-managers overnight.

I wonder if they switched from white-on-black + black-on-white to dark-gray on gray/beige to comply with the DIN keyboard standard? (That is, the same stupid standard which demanded the <3 cm distance from table to top of the home row keycaps, and demanded that keyboards must be detached from the main computer.) If so, that would be yet another in a long list of things screwed up by German bureaucrats. :P

The idea there was that keyboards needed to be “anti-glare” since otherwise people would be blinded, given the typically awful lighting in offices, or the light coming from their screens. Or something like that. So they mandated IIRC that reflectance for keyboards had to be between 15–85%.

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 Feb 2015, 11:24

The picture is great! I had no idea it was a cell phone picture until you said so.

Wonderful keyboards. Despite how much I love the beamsprings, I think I like the unsaver more. I just hope I'll be able to get one someday.

I've got #1, #5, #6. Not too bothered about #2 since there's no room for a proper arrow cluster, but my collection is sorely missing #3 and #4. Particularly #4 :lol:
Last edited by photekq on 11 Feb 2015, 11:35, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2015, 11:29

I've got numbers 2, 5 and 6. Actually 2 of #2, and 3 of #6. Wouldn't mind a Space Unsaver someday, but I was the misguided saint who let someone else have my $25 Cindy special:

http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/ibm ... er#p203046

To be honest, an Unsaver's a bit chunky for my daily use which is why I caved in. The beamsprings excuse their bulk by their sublime key action and solenoid turbodrive!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Feb 2015, 12:47

very impressive collection joc, I´m gonna tip your in the US of A. If I was still living in the states my IBM collection would look more like webwit´s!

To be honest I don´t ever expect to own either a Unsaver or a beamspring, it´s just easier that way on myself! :lol:

Touch_It

11 Feb 2015, 16:36

Very nice collection. The only one of those I have is a Model M but its a terminal. I do own a F 4704 107 key :). I plan to own a beam spring a F122, a F XT, AT F, and a non terminal M (with my birthday 4-11-88) someday. Probably never a f unsaver or ssk as the high prices and I like my numpads. @Redmaus I believe all beamsprings have metal cases except the display writer witch has a big white plastic case. While not metal it certainly is pleasant on the eyes IMO. There have been a lot of them on ebay (USA) recently for $110-$190.

orihalcon

19 Feb 2015, 08:26

Only beam spring I've got is a Displaywriter, and that also has a metal case. DisplayWriters just look so much taller than the other beam springs in pictures anyway, but won't know until I get another and put them side by side. The current one up for sale has a big chunk of paint missing on the bottom and the metal is visible there:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221688090065

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2015, 13:08

This ought to help with perspective:

I'd need to take my 3276 to the museum to get a real lineup! But yeah, all beamsprings are beasts, but the DisplayWriters are even taller still. A lot of the extra height is up above the keys. The 3276 curves down at that point instead, sparing a lot of volume.

Return to “Gallery”