What makes a Cherry MX Blue click?

BlueBär

15 Dec 2014, 12:47

In this video I show what part of a Cherry MX Blue switch causes the click it's known for and how exactly it works. For demonstration purposes I have cut open a switch so you can watch the insides of the switch moving during normal operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtGZqi8uhgU

As always, any feedback is appreciated and all questions are welcome!

cookie

15 Dec 2014, 16:47

This demonstration of a MX blue is by far the best I've ever seen!
A bit too much explanaition for my taste but still verry informatiive, I think that everyone who will visit your video already know how a blue switch works but you have already mentioned this in your video.

Good job mate!

BlueBär

15 Dec 2014, 16:57

My videos are usually tailored to people who are new to mechanical keyboards and I'd rather explain too much than not enough :D
Glad you like it!

Muirium
µ

15 Dec 2014, 17:01

cookie wrote: I think that everyone who will visit your video already know how a blue switch works
Not if we put it in the wiki… that's a lot of people's first detailed introduction to the MX lineup. It was mine! I'd heard there were "clicky" switches and "gamer" switches, but the wiki actually gave me half a clue.

cookie

15 Dec 2014, 17:09

@Mu, good point! This definately belongs to the Wiki

Findecanor

15 Dec 2014, 21:58

That is a very good video. You are good at this, BluBär. :)

Medowy

16 Dec 2014, 12:07

Are you planning doing this with every MX switch? :)

Muirium
µ

16 Dec 2014, 12:10

One tactile and one linear would make sense. There are essentially 3 switch mechanisms in the MX lineup, which differ only in springs (and lube, for MX white).

Unless he wants to murder an MX lock! Those are nifty.

BlueBär

16 Dec 2014, 12:49

Medowy wrote: Are you planning doing this with every MX switch? :)
I'll do this with every MX switch (or at least the common 4) to make a gif+webm out of it, but not a dedicated video for each as there's nothing special to the others that needs to be explained.

And I'd totally murder an MX Lock, I just don't have one right now.

HzFaq

16 Dec 2014, 12:54

Let me have a rummage through my box of crap tonight, I might have a loose MX Lock I can donate for science although I'm pretty sure the few I have are already soldered to boards.

Nuum

16 Dec 2014, 15:45

Very nice video, even though I knew before how a MX Blue works it was nice to see it in reality.

CM Pim
Cooler Master Rep

03 Jan 2015, 12:06

Good video! Nice demonstration. :)

Mal-2

02 Feb 2015, 15:18

BlueBär wrote: In this video I show what part of a Cherry MX Blue switch causes the click it's known for and how exactly it works. For demonstration purposes I have cut open a switch so you can watch the insides of the switch moving during normal operation.

As always, any feedback is appreciated and all questions are welcome!
I'm most impressed that you were able to do a cutaway without actually destroying the functionality of the switch. Did you get it right on the first try or did you kill at least one getting there?

BlueBär

02 Feb 2015, 15:24

This was the result of my first try, I have taken a few MX switches completly apart before so I knew where I could cut without damaging it. I also cut the two halves seperately which made things easier as well.

Return to “Keyboards”