A small story and my small n00b collection

derzemel

01 Aug 2015, 11:15

It all started almost a year and a half ago, when me and a bunch of friends bought a mechanical keyboard (a CM Storm quickfire TK) as a gift for another friend. I had a vague idea what mechanical keyboards were but wasn't really into them.
I was very curious what was the deal, so, I typed a few words on the TK and then on a rubber dome... and the difference was amazing :shock: ... I instantly fell in love.
I spent a huuuge amount of time drooling on r/mk, on GH and on DT, but never deciding to get a keyboard, as they all looked good. Topre, Buckling Spring, Cherry, Vintage, Modern, Kailh, Gateron, Beamspring, Alps, Matias, Customs, etc... each day I was learning and learning and drooling and driving my girlfriend crazy. I had moments when keyboards were the only thing I could think of.
Then, in January this year, for my 30'th birthday, my girlfriend made me a gift, a Tesoro Durandal G1N, with Cherry MX Brown. I was happy, to put it lightly :mrgreen: :
Spoiler:
My girlfriend was hoping that it would satisfy my desire. But I went in the opposite direction... I went insane :mrgreen: . I started talking even more about keyboards, obsessing over them :D .
Her reaction was, quote: It's like I gave a kg of cocaine to an addict hoping that it would make him give up his addiction :lol:
First thing I did, was to take the keyboard apart and then to make DIY pads to stop the bottoming out clack but I wanted more :mrgreen:
So I started talking with friends with relatives hoping to find something (and hoping that they would not think that I was crazy) and one of them had a Model F AT gathering dust. My dad also surprised me with 2 ISO WYSES and a Model M rubber dome, I found a DOLCH and the collection started to grow
Spoiler:
The Grandpa (IBM Model F AT)

The half German, half Italian friend (Olivetti KBD 2812, vintage MX Black):

The awkward cousin (WYSE PCE, vintage MX Black)

The brothers (DOLCH PACH):

The higher class almost twins (Novatouch). Probably going to sell the one in the box as I used it for 5 minutes. Still undecided.

The young gun (Tesoro Durandal, MX Brown)

The scruffy uncle (Model M, rubber dome):

The family together:
Hopefully, the family will grow larger in the future, but spending more and more time here on DT, I learned patience and stopped being so frantic. I also bought my first car and almost all my budget went in that direction, so keyboard spending has to be done very carefully now :P

Also, to the everybody that said that Topre is "the shit", fuck you!!! You are right!! Topre is the shit! Happy now? :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 13:07

Wait, where's the Topre?

derzemel

01 Aug 2015, 13:09

Muirium wrote: Wait, where's the Topre?
Novatouch... isn't it considered to have Topre switches?

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 13:15

Aha. That's what I get for trying to read this on a 3.5" iPhone! Sneaky board, that NovaTouch. Like the difference between shit and the shit!

Khers

01 Aug 2015, 13:23

It's quite interesting that many people seem to go through the same phases. Lurking for a while, registering, lurking a bit more. After acquisition of the first keyboard, the one you think is IT, the frenzy begins. You want everything for a while, before coming to your senses again and only look for what you really want. I've done the same.

Some people have more extreme hoarding phases (bordering on insane) than others (those who in rapid succession acquire an industrial SSK, a 10th Anniversary RF, a Korean Custom or two (preferably OTD) an HHKB and everything else that seems hip), but the there is definitely a trend.

From that point of view, I think you've done pretty well! And you've covered most bases ;)

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 13:32

Yeah, you're doing pretty good, diversity wise. Topre and Model F… damn, that's tactile and clicky both aced!

A limited budget is surprisingly useful in this field. I'm always hard up for cash, and I'm always on DT, yet oddly enough the combination seems to work. I can't splurge on the Newness of the Day. Instead, only the best of the best can really earn my attention. Like Cindy's legendary finds, and more than a few things from Matteo.

Anyway, you never indicated what you liked best. Large or small layouts? IBM or MX? There's many a different path this could go.

amospalla
let's go

01 Aug 2015, 13:51

I have enjoyed your video really, and as other says, we all go the same route. I first played with second hand or findind old keyboards here and there, but eventually did the jump and start buying expensive keyboards and going directly to what I wanted to try. I am about to get my third expensive board. I already realized what is my switch, now just trying to get the perfect version of it.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 14:12

The perfect version is the fancy new analog one they recently demoed.

http://deskthority.net/product-news-f44 ... 10708.html

You know, just to throw a spanner in the works!

amospalla
let's go

01 Aug 2015, 14:15

Omg, I will have to buy more keyboards!

derzemel

01 Aug 2015, 14:31

Muirium wrote: Aha. That's what I get for trying to read this on a 3.5" iPhone! Sneaky board, that NovaTouch. Like the difference between shit and the shit!
I actually like the "sneakyness" of the Novatouch. CM made it inconspicuous and elegant. The only thing the bothers me a bit is the lack of the Caps led. But I'll get used to it
Khers wrote: It's quite interesting that many people seem to go through the same phases.
amospalla wrote: we all go the same route
I had a talk with my Gf a few days ago regarding this. She studied sociology at university and she told me that this is a sociological and psychological thing the most humans do: learn the details of a group, say hello, learn some more, test the sea with the tip of the finger, dive in head first :lol:
Khers wrote: From that point of view, I think you've done pretty well! And you've covered most bases ;)
Thank you! :D
Muirium wrote: Yeah, you're doing pretty good, diversity wise. Topre and Model F… damn, that's tactile and clicky both aced!
I now have to see what is the linear switch to ace? Hall Effect? Nixdorf Blacks? Lubed 55G Gaterons? :lol:
Muirium wrote: A limited budget is surprisingly useful in this field. I'm always hard up for cash, and I'm always on DT, yet oddly enough the combination seems to work. I can't splurge on the Newness of the Day. Instead, only the best of the best can really earn my attention. Like Cindy's legendary finds, and more than a few things from Matteo.
I am in the same spot as you now. I got burned a couple of times when I did impulse buys (lost almost 100Eur) and that was a big enough slap on the face to wake me up. Now, I just wait for the things that make my heart jump :P
Muirium wrote: Anyway, you never indicated what you liked best. Large or small layouts? IBM or MX? There's many a different path this could go.
I have no idea what I like best. I do not think layout smaller than TKL will be ok for me though (big hands, constant use of arrows, Page up/down keys, F5 and F9, etc). I like the the 1800 layout the most and I plan on building a custom in one of the Dolchs (I have a Leeku 1800, plate, vintage blacks, 55g lubed springs, leds, sip sockets)
Regarding switches... I have absolutely no idea :lol:. I like them all (even the rubber domes on the Model M I have). Each of them has it's charms, it's ups and downs. For example, after using one of the Novatouches all day at work I found the scratchiness of the modern MX Browns to be accentuated, but not annoying.
For now, the Novatouch is the favourite :P
amospalla wrote: I have enjoyed your video really
Thank you! :mrgreen:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 Aug 2015, 14:45

Nice story derzemel, sounds familiar! I believe we all come to a point sooner or later where there is little left that is realistically obtainable or desirable. My biggest problem is the really old stuff. I'm a sucker for early 80s and 70s keyboards. Like those you found in the Kleinanzeigen I bought. Two Micro Switch, two Key Tronic, an Olivetti and some obscure stuff. Now getting those was like Christmas and birthday but at the same time I know its total nonsense. Bulky heavy keyboards I will never be able to use. But they look great, some have beautiful keycaps and I enjoy taking them apart. What a nutty hobby! So I'm telling you you're fine derzemel!

Prelim

01 Aug 2015, 15:29

nice @dermezel,

like many of us, you've unleashed the keyboard beast in you!! hehehe ;) I've loved the video, it's a kind of "veja vu" from my reactions while trying my first mechanicals.

I also do hope your collection grows from now on, many thanks for sharing this :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 15:52

derzemel wrote: I actually like the "sneakyness" of the Novatouch. CM made it inconspicuous and elegant. The only thing the bothers me a bit is the lack of the Caps led. But I'll get used to it.
Actually, you can install a caps lock LED on the NovaTouch. My prototype NovaTouch has all the usual lock lights. For whatever daft reason, CM removed them at the last minute. The PCB is unchanged in the final version. So with the right LED and resistor, you can do this:

Ignore the larger LEDs, they are for scale.

Okay, so you'll need someone who is comfortable installing surface mount components! But it works a charm.

http://deskthority.net/post191077.html#p191077
derzemel wrote:
Khers wrote: It's quite interesting that many people seem to go through the same phases.
amospalla wrote: we all go the same route
I had a talk with my Gf a few days ago regarding this. She studied sociology at university and she told me that this is a sociological and psychological thing the most humans do: learn the details of a group, say hello, learn some more, test the sea with the tip of the finger, dive in head first :lol:
Most humans. But not me. I walked right in, unaware there was even a pool! Splosh. Here's my very first post:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/goi ... t5079.html

I never did get a Filco. Maybe if they were to ever get around to that damn Majestouch 3, with Bluetooth. You've been shipping the Minila Air for years already guys.
derzemel wrote:
Muirium wrote: Yeah, you're doing pretty good, diversity wise. Topre and Model F… damn, that's tactile and clicky both aced!
I now have to see what is the linear switch to ace? Hall Effect? Nixdorf Blacks? Lubed 55G Gaterons? :lol:
This is DT. No Gaterons! Certainly, they don't come up here like I hear they do everywhere else. I suspect there is a reason.

Hall Effect is the real deal. They are classics, in every sense of the word. As Seebart just said: vintage boards are less practical. Owning them can be more about posing for pictures than actual typing. I'd be wary before heading down that route. Including the awe inspiring Beamspring. Even with Xwhatsit's controller making them USB, the layouts are antique.

Nixies meanwhile, oh yes. You can do a lot with those. They work great with your caps and fit any MX board. Brilliant! And that's why they're so expensive, alas. The Koreans know them well. As does our Cherry Picker in chief. Those guys pay more for a husk of a board with Nixies to harvest than I will for a complete specimen!

Lubed blacks are said to be good. I've got the springs, but I really don't need the headache of that much close up work. Ah, good old Cherry, making things difficult ever since they stopped making MX switches right with the Nixies.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

02 Aug 2015, 02:02

Man we have the best community ever.

photekq
Cherry Picker

02 Aug 2015, 07:35

Lovely little collection! That 30th birthday video is hilarious :lol:

scottc

02 Aug 2015, 08:12

I don't think this is a nooby collection at all! It's small, but focused and hits almost all the right spots. I often wish I had a small number of great, usable boards like this instead of a boatload of random things in various conditions.

I love your birthday video too. That's just how I reacted when I got my first Model M. :D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Aug 2015, 08:32

Scott is right, your collection isn' t noob and you aren't either derzemel! :D You're past your noob stage here. Now maintaining a small tight collection of essentials that's a challenge, at least for me.

macmakkara

02 Aug 2015, 10:14

:D Great video. I was like that when i got my 6gv2... And again when i got my SSK. And again when got my unsaver....

My note worthy thinks.Image
:mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2015, 15:00

Wow. On first glimpse I thought that was a full 122 key battleship! Nice board. And thanks for reassuring me that they're still too goddamn big for my workspace!

Khers

02 Aug 2015, 15:04

The Unsaver might be a bit on the large side, but I still want one!

wafflepc

02 Aug 2015, 16:11

Haha! Youre reaction in theat video was amazing! Great story!

zts

03 Aug 2015, 06:02

Very nice collection, derzemel! Those Dolches look awesome.

derzemel

03 Aug 2015, 09:18

Muirium wrote:
derzemel wrote: I actually like the "sneakyness" of the Novatouch. CM made it inconspicuous and elegant. The only thing the bothers me a bit is the lack of the Caps led. But I'll get used to it.
Actually, you can install a caps lock LED on the NovaTouch. My prototype NovaTouch has all the usual lock lights. For whatever daft reason, CM removed them at the last minute. The PCB is unchanged in the final version. So with the right LED and resistor, you can do this:
Spoiler:
Ignore the larger LEDs, they are for scale.

Okay, so you'll need someone who is comfortable installing surface mount components! But it works a charm.

http://deskthority.net/post191077.html#p191077
Ahaa... thank you very much :D
Muirium wrote: Hall Effect is the real deal. They are classics, in every sense of the word. As Seebart just said: vintage boards are less practical. Owning them can be more about posing for pictures than actual typing. I'd be wary before heading down that route. Including the awe inspiring Beamspring. Even with Xwhatsit's controller making them USB, the layouts are antique.
Sadly, the only reason I am staying away from vintage boards is the lack of compatibility or usefulness. I like my keyboards to be usable, not having them gathering dust (I also no not have the space or the solid enough shelves to put them :lol: )
Muirium wrote: This is DT. No Gaterons! Certainly, they don't come up here like I hear they do everywhere else. I suspect there is a reason.
Probably because we prefer classics, vintage and old-school? From what I have seen on the other forums Gaterons are very nice and smooth. Some people have even gone all the way of lubing Clear Gaterons (which have 35g springs).
Anyway, talking about new cherry copies, here's what ZealPC has been up to:
Muirium wrote: Nixies meanwhile, oh yes. You can do a lot with those. They work great with your caps and fit any MX board. Brilliant! And that's why they're so expensive, alas. The Koreans know them well. As does our Cherry Picker in chief. Those guys pay more for a husk of a board with Nixies to harvest than I will for a complete specimen!

Lubed blacks are said to be good. I've got the springs, but I really don't need the headache of that much close up work. Ah, good old Cherry, making things difficult ever since they stopped making MX switches right with the Nixies.
I am sooo curious about Nixdorf Blacks, but.. because they are so expensive, I'll stay away and probably take a week off work to lube the vintage blacks I have :lol:
Redmaus wrote: Man we have the best community ever.
I agree 110% :mrgreen:
photekq wrote: Lovely little collection! That 30th birthday video is hilarious :lol:
Thank you, thank you! :mrgreen:
scottc wrote: I often wish I had a small number of great, usable boards like this instead of a boatload of random things in various conditions.
But all those random things can be useful when needing parts for a DIY project :P
macmakkara wrote: :D Great video.
Thank you :D
macmakkara wrote: My note worthy thinks.
Spoiler:
Very nice, veeery nice. That Unsaver is huge... I now realize how big a F122 must be :shock: I need one, or a Cherry G80-20xx :lol:
wafflepc wrote: Haha! Youre reaction in theat video was amazing! Great story!
Thank you! :mrgreen:
zts wrote: Very nice collection, derzemel! Those Dolches look awesome.
Thank you! I got the ISO one through pure luck, but the ANSI one was a complete madness to get :lol:

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

14 Aug 2015, 21:45

I must say I envy you for those Purple GMK caps, I've been looking for a long time for a set and every time I found one I was broke :lol:
Anyway nice collection :D Love those Dolch keyboards, for me these are better than any IBM stuff from the looks and feel.
An yes Topre is the SHIT :lol: I still love my MX boards, can't get enough of those with Cherry/GMK caps :D
Now my collection is split between Germany and Romania, but when they will be reunited I will make a group photo of my dear 60's

Return to “Gallery”