IBM Mag Card II

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

25 Nov 2014, 23:45

I'm not really an IBM collector, but this is pretty rare (and I have two of them 8-)
These were basically the first word processors released around 1973. While I don't have the Mag Card reader/writer cabinet. I do have some of the the mag cards, I'll try to take some pics later. Each mag card held up to 8000 characters, or about 2.5 pages of words.
It's a Selectric with data out! So technically I can convert it to USB :mrgreen:
The only reason I haven't done it yet is due to the sheer number of wires (and finding a mating connector so I don't have to destroy the massive cable...).

Inside, the wires control inputs, such as solenoids and electromagnets. The outputs are magnetic reed switches and a few optical sensors to detect rotation. There are some lock and pushbutton switches on the sides to control the Mag Card unit directly as well.

ImageDSC_1222 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0020 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0023 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1207 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1208 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1210 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1224 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0021 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1221 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1165 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1148 by triplehaata, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1150 by triplehaata, on Flickr

Paranoid Android

26 Nov 2014, 00:29

DEM SOUNDSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Touch_It

26 Nov 2014, 04:47

Those sounds, they turn me on. Would this be similar to how a beamspring would sound (when typing). At any rate I loved the video :D.

bhtooefr

26 Nov 2014, 12:38

Not at all like a beam spring.

This one doesn't sound particularly happy to me (a lot of those noises you're hearing are the motor and drivetrain, and that's noiser and less consistent than I'd normally expect - I hope the nylon main gear is good), from my limited experience with Selectrics... and what's with the print mechanism not responding at all? (I'm not familiar with the Mag machines. I do know that it at least means the drivetrain is WORKING, because the keyboard wouldn't be working right if the drivetrain weren't.)

The beam springs sound like this:

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

26 Nov 2014, 18:58

Yeah, the Mag Card needs quite a bit of maintenance (I don't really have time to do it right now).
I believe the print mechanism has to be activated by the Mag Card interface. There's like a solenoid or electromagnet that has to be activated, though I haven't figured out which one yet.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Dec 2014, 11:34

what a beast! 10kg? Very impressive.

Franklin

16 Apr 2015, 10:46

This is exceptionally pleasant and better than average post...You shook posting it...Thanks a ton for posting it....!!!

Return to “Gallery”