25 Jan 2016, 15:44

I like that connector option

idollar
i$

25 Jan 2016, 16:14

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Jan 2016, 17:32

I really would like a mini-USB connector, so that I can use my custom cables. ;)

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2016, 17:39

Love the work you're doing on this, i$. I'll deep dive on it when I have time.

Re: connector. Another vote for mini or micro USB. (Bonus points if you include both!) My Phosphorglow powered SSK is type B on the back, like your picture, but it's a pain having to swap out cables when my other boards (and most everything else) use the smaller ones. Type B says printers, not keyboards!

idollar
i$

25 Jan 2016, 18:53

something like this ?

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2016, 19:20

So long as it's *inside* the keyboard! Dongles aren't worth it.

wcass

25 Jan 2016, 20:08

I'm working on a redesign of Xwhatsit's controller. The things I am changing are cable pitch, PCB size, and USB connector.

The ribbon cable pitch that I want to use is 0.1". This is common enough that single pre-cut 2, 3, or 4 inch pieces can be purchased from Digikey or Mouser - and is much easier to solder than 0.05" or 1mm pitch cable.

Changing the cable pitch also allows me to shrink the length of the controller.
30 pins at .1" = 3" - that is my target length.

The USB connection will be ... 4 through holes. You could wire a USB cable direct to this, or wire to a simple daughter board with a your USB connector on that. This so that everyone has a choice of what and where the USB connector goes. I will also design daughter cards for full size USB-B, mini, micro, and USB-C sockets.

Touch_It

25 Jan 2016, 23:15

Please don't kill me as I haven't had proper time to read through all of this. I have a few questions.

1. Any word on final pricing and will there be a group buy type of situation?
2. As I've previously read you can cut down a Model M to have a FSSK made. Is there an option for a full size M PCB?
2. Will there be options to buy flippers/xwhatsit controller with the PCB?

Again, I promise I will read through all of this when I have more time, but curiosity got the better of me, and would like to know ASAP so I can set aside money for this.

idollar
i$

25 Jan 2016, 23:44

Touch_It wrote: Please don't kill me as I haven't had proper time to read through all of this. I have a few questions.

1. Any word on final pricing and will there be a group buy type of situation?
I did not have the time to think about it. Now that the prototypes have show working (corrections are pending), a fair price should be higher than what the initial contributors kindly offered. This means some 35-40 euros approx + shipping from Europe.
2. As I've previously read you can cut down a Model M to have a FSSK made. Is there an option for a full size M PCB?
There will be an option. Actually there is only one design file covering the FSSK and what we called the FEXT.
2. Will there be options to buy flippers/xwhatsit controller with the PCB?
flippers:

Various possibilities here:

a) get your own broken F and reuse the flippers (my option)
b) buy from Ellipse and pay $0.5 for each flipper. I find this option too expensive. I do not recommend it.
Again, I promise I will read through all of this when I have more time, but curiosity got the better of me, and would like to know ASAP so I can set aside money for this.
Ask again if needed, no problem.
I plan to summarise the thread in the initial post anyhow, as soon as I can find some time.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

25 Jan 2016, 23:46

wcass wrote: I'm working on a redesign of Xwhatsit's controller. The things I am changing are cable pitch, PCB size, and USB connector.

The ribbon cable pitch that I want to use is 0.1". This is common enough that single pre-cut 2, 3, or 4 inch pieces can be purchased from Digikey or Mouser - and is much easier to solder than 0.05" or 1mm pitch cable.

The USB connection will be ... 4 through holes. You could wire a USB cable direct to this, or wire to a simple daughter board with a your USB connector on that. This so that everyone has a choice of what and where the USB connector goes. I will also design daughter cards for full size USB-B, mini, micro, and USB-C sockets.
Now this. I'm overwhelmed with vintage IBM goodness right now.

idollar
i$

25 Jan 2016, 23:52

wcass wrote: I'm working on a redesign of Xwhatsit's controller. The things I am changing are cable pitch, PCB size, and USB connector.
Good !
Agreed. I have used a parallel ata cable without any problem.
I suggest to add more GND cables separating rows and columns. It works in my tests also.
ACK.
Here I suggest to check if it is possible to have a PCB with overlapping pads that would allow to have holes, mini and micro all together. One could select the pads/holes to use depending on the needs/preferences without a dagter card. I do not know if this is possible

micrex22

26 Jan 2016, 11:13

Another option for replacing the cable on the FSSK--

The original SDL jack could still be used. Then this black SDL cable from unicomp could be purchased:
http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1379947

What could be then done is cut off the PS/2 section, solder on a USB connector (heatshrink the two pieces together), then wire up the SDL jack to the corresponding USB pins. Multiple wires could be used.
To take it even further, an IBM USB connector could be attached to make the cable more 'authentic' like the original SDL ones:

Only caveat is that the cable will change in thickness slightly as the original SDL ones are excessively over-shielded. But hey, the coily cables are fantastic :)

idollar
i$

26 Jan 2016, 13:56

micrex22 wrote: Another option for replacing the cable on the FSSK--
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

This option will require to use the connector of the original controller.
I would prefer to keep the original controller untouched. I this way, one can always undo the change.
But my own preference does not prevent any other person to follow a different path.

Hypersphere

26 Jan 2016, 19:09

It would be nice to have a detachable cable, like on the original SSK.

kuato

26 Jan 2016, 23:52

Here's is the type b connector I used for the unsaver, this thing is bulletproof:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amp ... 8zSA%3D%3D

I just cut a mini-USB cable and soldered the leads to the pins on the back of the connector. There's a spec sheet in the link above.

idollar
i$

26 Jan 2016, 23:59

Thanks kuato !!

I have seen that there there are many connectors of this type, matching all the options that have been suggested here:
MUSB_PS-780124.jpg
MUSB_PS-780124.jpg (391.52 KiB) Viewed 7390 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

27 Jan 2016, 00:15

What about the types on the left "with matching USB?" Would there be room inside to fit something like type A internal and micro external?

idollar
i$

27 Jan 2016, 23:19

I have been typing all that the day with the FSSK.
I had the regular SSK and the FMK (IBM 107) with me for comparison.

The FSSK is a model F. It sounds louder than the F and I have the feeling that it requires a little more weight to actuate. I have anyhow not measured it.

I had three different "non-experts" typing with the set. Out of them and without any information, two selected the FSSK. One the F107.

I personally will make the FSSK my standard keyboard.

I will record the three tomorrow and post the audio files for comparison.

Apart from some problems with the number "1" repeating by itself, due to a required adjustment in the threshold, I had no problems with it. I am not using the auto sensing in the controller.

Finally, I tested the xwhatsit PC softwrare with two keyboards connected for the first time. I did not know that it would detect the two controllers and ask me which one I want to control. Every day I am more happy with this controller and the associated software. Thanks a lot for all your nice work xwhasit !

27 Jan 2016, 23:51

Now THAT is some awesomeness!

micrex22

27 Jan 2016, 23:54

idollar wrote: The FSSK is a model F. It sounds louder than the F and I have the feeling that it requires a little more weight to actuate. I have anyhow not measured it.
Yeah, the FSSK sounds louder than a "regular" Model F because it lacks the foam padding (louder is better in my opinion). When I tried some F pivots in my SSK it didn't feel heavier though. But if it was, it definitely was still far below 50 g.

28 Jan 2016, 00:32

I collected a bunch of Model F parts just to have; but now with Ellipses' board ordered - I presume I will never use. I should probably do a count on how many Model F flippers I have ("a lot"). How many flippers does an SSK need?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

28 Jan 2016, 00:44

There are 84 keys on the SSK, and you need one flipper for each.

28 Jan 2016, 04:15

Looks like I have 229 Model F flippers. Enough for 2 sets of 84, with 61 left over.

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2016, 04:19

Lucky you! I might be interested in a set for this…

Also barrels, for my other Model Fs.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

28 Jan 2016, 04:25

0100010 wrote:Looks like I have 229 Model F flippers. Enough for 2 sets of 84, with 61 left over.
Nice! Where did they all come from? I have an old XT I'll probably sacrifice, then bite the bullet and buy some Ellipse flippers for a backup FSSK.

idollar
i$

28 Jan 2016, 07:16

Techno Trousers wrote:
0100010 wrote:Looks like I have 229 Model F flippers. Enough for 2 sets of 84, with 61 left over.
Nice! Where did they all come from? I have an old XT I'll probably sacrifice, then bite the bullet and buy some Ellipse flippers for a backup FSSK.
All the flippers used by an xwhatsit controller shall be similar. There is one single voltage threshold define for all keys. I do not know if mixing them will work.

The FSSK 0001 uses flippers from an XT and a bigfoot donors. The issue that I reported before with the self repeating "1" and the adjustment that I had to do to the threshold, was very probably because the mix.

pcaro

28 Jan 2016, 08:16

0100010 wrote: Looks like I have 229 Model F flippers. Enough for 2 sets of 84, with 61 left over.
I am interested in a set if you are selling at good prize.

idollar
i$

28 Jan 2016, 22:20

I post here a comparision between the fssk, a regular ssk and an F107;

I have not changed the volume during the recordings. They were all done in sequence in the same conditions.

The pictures in the video correspond to each track

FSSK
F107
SSK

Return to “Workshop”