Problem with my SSK :(

sean4star

24 Feb 2015, 23:38

So, my SSK has developed a problem...I cleaned and bolt modded the board about a year ago. Smooth sailing since then, until now. When I press e, d, or c lowercase all is well. If I use ctrl + c I still get a copy command. But if I use shift + e, d, or c I don't get anything. Actually, it depends on if I use left or right shift.
EDC
L Shiftnonono
R Shiftyesyesno
Another clue: caps lock + e, d, or c does work, of course, I think this is more OS than the keyboard controller.

So the keys definitely work, it's just when I modify them with shift that I get nothing. Any thoughts?

Touch_It

24 Feb 2015, 23:44

My M2 started having a very similar issue while using the Shift key. I have a feeling it is an issue either with the membrane, or the membrane making contact with the controller. I don't have much evidence but I did do a self repair job on a broken spot on the membrane. I will certainly be following this as I am certainly interested in the solution.

Edit. Forgot to state that, (I think) sticky keys can cause this issue. Does the issue persist when tried on a different computer, maybe even one with a different OS? That would help rule out OS issues.

Mal-2

24 Feb 2015, 23:57

One relatively simple thing you might want to check is to make sure the membranes and PCB haven't drifted relative to one another. Basically, take off the PCB, straighten out the membranes if they have drifted, and put the PCB back on. It could just be a case of crossed contacts.

This may not fix anything, but I sure don't see how it can make the situation any worse.

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 Feb 2015, 00:31

Mal-2 wrote: One relatively simple thing you might want to check is to make sure the membranes and PCB haven't drifted relative to one another.
And, of course, wipe and dust all those layers to ensure that there is no debris in or around any of them.

idollar
i$

25 Feb 2015, 07:14

When I do a bolt/mod, and before putting everything back together, I place the membrane on top of the back plate without the barrels, I connect it to the controller and test the membrane pressing with the finger on each switch.
This procedure may help you to discard problems in the membrane before you mount back the "sandwich".

I do not know if it is your case, but I also had some problems with mods in which I had too much pressure in the "sandwich". This was solved by loosing the screws/bolts.

Let us know what do you do and the solution.

sean4star

27 Feb 2015, 22:14

I'm using the board on a Linux machine, so nothing to do with sticky keys. I'll check the pcb this weekend. I'll also play around with the pressure. I didn't think it was a membrane or key contact issue since all the keys work by themselves. I was really worried that it might be a controller problem, so this gives me a bit of hope. I'll report back once I get a chance to do more.

Return to “Workshop”