Buckling Spring Numpad - possible?

hammelgammler
Vintage

15 Apr 2015, 17:27

Hey guys,

As i get my SSK in a few weeks i thought about building my own buckling spring numpad from a functional full size Model M.

Has anyone done something like this already? I saw the thread where somebody made his own HHKB Model M, so i thought it will be possible to make a buckling spring numpad as well. :)

There will be soldering required i think, but thats no problem in any way.

Best regards,
David

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Apr 2015, 18:06

Look into hasu's "Happy Buckling Spring Board" which is the project you mentioned. Why in fact you could chop a full sized M into a keypad and an SSK. But you'll be short one side of a case and one controller board.

If you just want to turn an M into a keypad: you'll need to do a fair amount of work to get the traces correct on the membranes. Copper tape is a better solution here than solder as the soldering iron will melt the membrane.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Apr 2015, 15:04

An actual IBM numpad exists, although it was a pretty rare accessory and you would have to be very lucky to find one.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

16 Apr 2015, 15:12

hammelgammler
Vintage

16 Apr 2015, 18:14

Well that seems like a kind of low price to me doesn't it?
15000 Yen =~ 115€?

But yeah, an original numpad would be even better. :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Apr 2015, 18:33

Btw, ramnes, I know you were unhappy about that being posted on GH.

Just to let you know.. It didn't go to a GHer :lol:

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mi ... rl=8769865

Scottex

02 Oct 2015, 20:19

Couldn't you just buy a regular membrane numpad (+controller) and substitute the membrane in the Ms numpad?
Is this a really bad idea? :oops:

romevi

02 Oct 2015, 20:29

I would love to have a BS numpad. That Japanese one is super rare, so if someone could make new ones under that cost that'd be great.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

03 Oct 2015, 00:55

Do it. ;)

joc

03 Oct 2015, 01:47

There was also a Model F "numpad" that was meant to be paired with an unsaver. There's a photo of one hidden in plain sight somewhere around here. I'll repost the photos if I find them.

Edit: Photos here.
Last edited by joc on 03 Oct 2015, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

Parak

03 Oct 2015, 01:59

The older LPFK variant maybe? That one was Cherry M8, and not buckling spring.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

03 Oct 2015, 02:04

Want this one:
Spoiler:
Last edited by guk on 03 Oct 2015, 02:39, edited 1 time in total.

romevi

03 Oct 2015, 02:38

guk wrote:Want this one:

Eww....

joc

03 Oct 2015, 02:54

Parak wrote: The older LPFK variant maybe? That one was Cherry M8, and not buckling spring.
I've only seen this LPFK and the similar black version. The keypad I saw was different - it looked as if some had cut off the numpad area of an F122 and was using it standalone (the keys were arranged in a square 5x5 matrix).

Parak

11 Oct 2015, 07:57

joc wrote:
Parak wrote: The older LPFK variant maybe? That one was Cherry M8, and not buckling spring.
I've only seen this LPFK and the similar black version. The keypad I saw was different - it looked as if some had cut off the numpad area of an F122 and was using it standalone (the keys were arranged in a square 5x5 matrix).
Was doing some box sorting today, so thought I'd take a few quick terrible phone pics of it:

Return to “Workshop”