IBM Model F 107-key terminal restoration by Harry

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Oct 2015, 23:23

This is mostly a picture log rather than an instructional guide, since I went into exhaustive detail in my F-122 ANSI-mod http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/ibm- ... ansi%20122 guide regarding the minutiae of the breakdown and buildup process.

I receive a ragged incomplete beat-up Model F 107-key terminal keyboard from Orihalcon, who had been kind enough to install the xwhatsit controller before he sent it to me. I am sure that I could do that work, but since he has experience and wasn't charging too much to do it, I was happy to pay the extra fee.

My goal was to finish the outer case as the metal that it is, and let its natural appearance show through.

I did not want to have to maintain a highly-buffed and polished product, and went for matte instead.
Unfortunately, when I took it to the metal shop for shot blasting, they told me that it was not actually a good strong aluminum product, but rather a “very soft” alloy that did not yield a consistent finish, either in texture or color. Bummer.

However, Rustoleum continues to add really interesting and attractive colors in their spray paint line, so I chose “hammered copper” for the internal front plate and “oil rubbed bronze” for the outer case. I would have preferred a lighter color more like the IBM “industrial” cases, but the “oil rubbed bronze” was just too nice to pass up.

Since I really don't like noise, I padded the case with my heavy 60 mil EPDM. I glued the pieces in with black silicone caulk.

I believe that Model Fs need some help along the centerline of curvature after they are cracked open and put back together.
3 bolts were added: left of Tab, right of Right Shift, and right of Page Down. They really make a difference, in my opinion.

So here it is:

Plain stock keys for the office:

All dressed up for the party:

hammelgammler
Vintage

19 Oct 2015, 23:31

Oh man, that color is just gorgeous! I really need that!
Thanks for your post.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 Oct 2015, 23:39

Yeah nice picture overview, and I'm glad to see the final outcome now. I still can't believe that the Model F case is suposedly a “very soft” alloy that did not yield a consistent finish. Oh well, still a damn nice keyboard well worth this kind of effort. Good work!

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Oct 2015, 00:08

seebart wrote: I still can't believe that the Model F case is suposedly a “very soft” alloy that did not yield a consistent finish.
Considering that it was an upgrade from plastic, any metal is probably better than none.

There are lots of metal parts that don't really have to do much, unlike, say, and automobile's frame, so there is no reason to spend the money and effort on something like a high-grade aluminum.

My father always called cheap light metal "pot metal" and it was a term of derision, kind of like "mystery meat".

This is probably some bastard alloy of aluminum, zinc, and other stuff.

But if I get another one, I may yet attempt to polish it bright and try to keep it that way with a clear coat.

Hypersphere

20 Oct 2015, 00:34

Congrats on the restoration. Is the case on the F107 pot metal or cast aluminum?

Crossfire

22 Oct 2015, 07:31

That, I like! Very nice case finish and restoration as whole! Now she's ready to rock'n roll for another 30 years!

Vizir

18 Nov 2015, 21:33

amazing restoration job! what foam did you use?

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Nov 2015, 15:00

Vizir wrote: amazing restoration job! what foam did you use?
I used some thin soft neoprene that I got from wcass. I think that it was 2mm from McMaster-Carr. Surprisingly weak.

Still not sure whether I like art foam better, and installation is easier because this one is long and narrow.

Vizir

19 Nov 2015, 19:53

Hmm interesting... I used the art foam you recommended for my F122 and that worked perfectly. The dimensions are good on this but I'm concerned about the longevity of the neoprene.

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Nov 2015, 00:13

I really think that the art foam is the way to go. I like its thickness and density, and supposedly it is made to be acid-free for long-term "scrapbooking" type use.

Vizir

20 Nov 2015, 01:58

Yes, that dies make sense. I'll go that route again

andrewjoy

20 Nov 2015, 12:25

We have a supplier of that in the UK anywhere ? My 107 needs new foam.

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Nov 2015, 13:57

andrewjoy wrote: We have a supplier of that in the UK anywhere ? My 107 needs new foam.
I can't help you locating a supplier, but this is the stuff I like:

http://www.michaels.com/creatology-foam ... et&start=1

Return to “Workshop”