Deskthority ALPS keyboard Project

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 11:39

Hello everyone, 2012 is soon over. It has been a fantastic year for us keyboard fanatics and it is time for something else, other then Cherry MX stuff.

I have been thinking of something for a month or so, I think many people has been thinking about the exact same thing but never made any noise about it - A custom ALPS keyboard.

The keyboard itself should have 4 layout options, nothing fancy.
ISO Fullsize, ISO TKL, ANSI Fullsize, ANSI TKL

This is mainly because we should be able to use Filco cases that already exist, original filco cases and custom filco cases, since the case is always the hardest part about these custom projects.
Example for casings are: Filco 104, Filco TKL, MKC acrylic cases, Vortex Aluminum case, MKC aluminum case.

For PCBs I know that Bpiphany can do it, not sure if he wants to though :lol:

We need some experts here that can justify what special stuff we need for a custom ALPS board.

I know that Signature plastics carry ALPS molds. I was thinking that we should go for blank PBT keycaps for lowering the costs and making it as universal as possible, with the only option - ISO kit consisting of ISO enter, 1.25 left shift and a 1x1 keycap next to it.

The switches themselves are for people to find from old keyboards, I dont think we can make a GB for these, and it would be cool to find an old ebay board to harvest from. There are plenty on the aftermarket, so dont worry about not finding any switches.

Things I dont know about:
Plates, Stabilizers

So fellow members, I beg you, make this a reality in 2013, I can not do this, I need your expertise and organization skills.

Do you want a custom ALPS keyboard with the deskthority brand on it? Yes or no.
Discuss!

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 11:45

tinlong117 can provide us with lots of new alps keyboards from taobao that we can harvest switches from.
Last edited by phetto on 16 Dec 2012, 12:04, edited 3 times in total.

fossala
Elite +1

16 Dec 2012, 11:47

Nice idea, thought this a couple of times. The problem with using second hand alps switches is they don't last very long and are hard to replace if you need to. I've used only a handful of alps switches but had the fortune of using new and used ones. New alps keyswitches feel 100x better than used ones. I wouldn't be happy putting a lot of money into any alps project because of this.

Also alps caps won't be cheap, I guess there won't be a huge uptake on this (people stick with mx because that is what there expensive keycaps are made for) meaning higher prices from SP because of lower quantity orders.

I would hope that I am wrong, I don't like cherry switches being everything when they are not very good (sorry cherry fans). It's kind of like windows. Everyone uses it even though it's sub par, this is because no one uses anything else, insert continued loop.

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 11:51

Matias will have his new switches ready soon, maybe we can get them from him.
You can find new alps board on ebay too.

And with keycaps, we can always scavenge from other keyboards, but I dont think keycaps from SP that are all blanks will be expensive at all. 8-)

fossala
Elite +1

16 Dec 2012, 12:06

Yes, matias switches would be an option. They're going to be really cheap as well. I wish you the best in getting intrest.

Ascaii
The Beard

16 Dec 2012, 12:09

We might want to check whether the pins on the matias will match "regular" alps before designing any kind of pcb.

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 12:14

Matias switches use the same pins as the Fuhata ones.

Ascaii
The Beard

16 Dec 2012, 12:17

Interesting! I am definitely going to follow this.

One rather strange and entirely uneducated idea I just had was this: perhaps we can combine the controller order with 7bits hyper mini gb...we would definitely get a cheaper deal for both projects that way.

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 12:20

Hehe, maybe! I am way to dumb to make this project a reality. Im just hoping that someone will do a takeover on this idea that I had. Maybe 7bit can do it and merge it to his hyper GB?

JBert

16 Dec 2012, 12:42

The PCB would need to be redesigned though because AFAIK the switch dimensions and pin setup are different.

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 13:22

JBert wrote:The PCB would need to be redesigned though because AFAIK the switch dimensions and pin setup are different.
What do you mean? No PCB has been designed yet.

dirge

16 Dec 2012, 15:11

Well if they are running phantom 2, just get them to edit the board for the pin layout. You'd need plates done.

Grond

16 Dec 2012, 16:00

This sounds interesting, I'd like to see a Poker sized version as well.

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 16:46

dirge wrote:Well if they are running phantom 2, just get them to edit the board for the pin layout. You'd need plates done.
Dirge, You are saying that the PCB itself can be as it is for MX, but with different pin-holes to fit ALPS pins?

In that case I know exactly whom to PM to get a prototype PCB within the borders.

dirge

16 Dec 2012, 17:14

As far as I'm aware a switch is a switch, just the pinnings slightly different. Could get rid of the drill holes for pcb mount too I guess. Or if the boards not busy enough have both. You'd need a plate designed mind.

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 17:18

Sent a PM to bpiphany about a prototype PCB.

Thanks for the info dirge.

TheProfosist

17 Dec 2012, 13:49

Interested this to use Matias switches in.

dirge

17 Dec 2012, 14:28

Think the Matias switches are going to be available soon in packs of 200 shipped from east. I've got some blues I'm dying to use in something too.

phetto
Elite

17 Dec 2012, 14:33

Just need a PCB design, can someone help?

tinnie

17 Dec 2012, 14:38

oh, nice work. Will fully support it! :D

Findecanor

17 Dec 2012, 15:36

By using a Filco case, you mean Filco Zero? No?

According to the datasheets, there should be 4.5 mm between the top of an Alps plate and its PCB, while there should be 5.0 mm between the top of a Cherry MX plate and its PCB. That is a difference of 0.5 mm. Whether that is significant in practice, I am not sure. If it is significant, then a Cherry MX case for Alps could be a little bit wobbly. It could be alleviated using a bit of foam, though.

pasph

17 Dec 2012, 16:15

If there's someone interested i can try to put a Leopold Lite internal in a Leopold FC200

HzFaq

17 Dec 2012, 16:38

I have a Filco Maj2 and a Zero, I can try swapping the cases tonight but I'm pretty sure they're identical (my Phantom is currently sitting in the Zero's case and the Phantom is based on the Maj2 pcb/plate).

edit - Also very interested in this project, would love a home made ALPS board.

pasph

17 Dec 2012, 17:12

Matias said that he also be making keycaps available, ABS in white and black, blank or lasered

phetto
Elite

17 Dec 2012, 18:35

pasph wrote:If there's someone interested i can try to put a Leopold Lite internal in a Leopold FC200
That would be cool if you could try that, allthough its already confirmed that it work both ways, at least in Filco Zero/phantom/majestouch.

Thats why I want to use bpiphanys PCB, so we will get something that already works both ways, with a slight modification to the PCB with different pins.

I attached a sheet with the pins for the matias switches earlier in the thread. 8-)

vun

17 Dec 2012, 19:25

I'd love a TKL og 60% board with alps or matias switches, as long as I have the money for it when it actually happens and I can find someone to build it for me.

Topre Enthusiast

17 Dec 2012, 22:09

Ahh finally some love for Alps. I will definitely be down for this if it picks up steam.

reverkiller

18 Dec 2012, 15:06

This seems like a really cool project!

I'd be interested, perhaps.

SmallFry

18 Dec 2012, 15:38

I've wanted this for a very very long time. Can we make the files open if/when we get them created? :D

dirge

18 Dec 2012, 15:47

The GH60 files are available, you'd just need to change the switch footprint. I've got one of the tester kits on the way actually for the MX switch.

Return to “Workshop”