Questions about my first build?

mzero

17 Apr 2014, 22:07

Hi:
I have some questions about my first build. It won´t be a hand wired, but a PCB. I've got a Duck Mini v1.5 PCB and Plate from Korea... and I have to say it was expensive. I paid for custom duties because my lack of experience buying stuffs from Korea, I wish I had talked better with the seller to get a cheaper shipping and a small package. Just the PCB and plate came in a HUGE box (30x30x40 more or less), I said wow this could be my lucky day if they put their expensive aluminum case, but it wasn´t my day :(
So be advised guy!

Please, I'm asking you for some ideas for my first build.

Goal: 60% with PCB + Plate, QWERTY + Dedicated Arrow Keys+ Short Right-Shift, Ergo Clear + Lubrication, Silenced, Aluminum case + Vinyl Wrapping

NO questions:
1. 60% With PCB + Plate: Hand wiring it was an option, but not for this one, maybe for another one. I'm still considering a way to make less wobbled.
2. Ergo Clear + Lubricated: I buy to set of 65gr, one from Originative, but after reading a lot of complaints of this seller after buying, I was afraid to get nothing and the time is was close to my US proxy to come to EU, I’ve decided to get another set from Sprit, I’m happy.
3. Aluminum case + Vinyl Wrapping: I'll put 3M vinyl wrapping, I just need to decide if I'll go for a white version or a black with carbon fiber details. Anyway, I change my mind I always have the original version (a black one). Here’s is the main issue, I’ll have to wait for long time to get the case, because I’m in a GB. Actually this is my main reason to delay this project, I have everything now except the case and keyboard, without a case, is not an option for me.

Need Help / Ideas:

4. Querty + Arrow Keys: PBT Black Blank keycaps+ ABS Black Left and Right Shift Keycaps + ABS 1x Keycaps, to keep to consistency in colors. I couldn’t get all in PBT. I have all the keycaps and the color are 98% the same.

Also I need dedicated arrow keys. A key counter shows that I use a lot arrow keys, home, Page up, Page Down, and Delete. I’ll get different layouts and see what will be the best options for my needs

4.A. I have access to a Die Cut machine for papers, adhesives, etc for free. I'll make a custom stickers to put it the sides in order to avoid wear. My first option was decals but my keycaps are black, so I need to use a white decal paper ... too complicated. My question is basically I should put them a clear coat? I cannot live with only blanks, my wife will use it rarely but she will use it.
Here is an idea
keycaps
keycaps
KB1110-keycaps.png (9 KiB) Viewed 985 times
4.B. Has anyone tried to fill the abs keycaps to reduce the noise?

4.C Does anyone know what material is used for the switch stickers? I’m interested in the thickness in microns.

5.Silencing: Here is the tricky part, I haven't see any post about the following: I want to put some soft plastic material between the plate and the PCB
5.A. I´ve tried with 4mm PVC Forex, too rigid and the noise was up. But I wonder why people get the option the acrylic (an harder material than forex) and aluminum in the ErgoDox keyboards.

5.B. 2mm+2mm EVA Foam, less rigid than PVC Forex, but the noise was the same. Maybe I’ll have to test them again

5.C. 2mm+2mm Anti-slip mat, why? Because I've used in the key caps as an alternative for the O-Rings, and also to fill the base of my Noppoo Choc Mini case. The noise was reduced a lot. My question is if I should be worried about the static. And I know if at the end I choose the mat, I should take care about water.

Thanks for stopping to read a long post, and I’ll thank you in advanced if you can give more ideas.
Attachments
Anti-Slip-Mat.jpg
Anti-Slip-Mat.jpg (87.26 KiB) Viewed 985 times

Return to “Workshop”